Author Topic: Rack Mount Kit  (Read 3624 times)

Fluddman

• Knight
Rack Mount Kit
« on: December 04, 2014, 04:50:16 AM »
Any body found a cheaper alternative to the Mackie Rack Mount Kit for the DL1608.

I can't bring myself to spend the $200 (Australian Dollars) they are going for down here.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mackie-DL1608-Mixer-Powder-Coated-Rack-Mount-Kit-/331396471571?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item4d28c4db13

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Rack Mount Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 05:45:57 AM »
Wouldn't be that hard to take a sheet of aluminum and mount it to that.  If you want to leave some of the connections hooked up, you will need it shaped similar to the one they sell.  I'd be inclined to make the mounts a bit off center for extra space for your WiFi router on one side.  And if you leave a snake hooked up, make a strain relief and attach it to the mounted plate.  Only paid $100 in the States for Mackie's version.  Only things that I don't like about it, is after reducing a lot of weight in my mixing stack, the mounting kit adds a fair amount back.  (Replaced a MixWiz).  I'd also design it even deeper in the back.  (Just barely high enough to easily dock the ipad.) That's my take anyway.  Learned a long time ago that in general, when a company makes some kind of mount, that for me to do the same, usually costs just as much. 

Stratoblaster

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »
Hi,

I made the rack kit by myself to attach the DL1608 to a 19" rack case. I also build some angled aluminium holders so that I could attach a TC Electronic M-ONE multieffect in front of the mixer.

I send the AUX 5 and 6 signals to DEL and REV channels of the M-ONE and return the signal as stereo to channels 15/16 of the DL1608. I also feed the main output signal through a TC Electronic Level Pilot to the active speaker system (JBL+ DB Technology). The mixer rack is beside me on the stage and if any feedback should occur, it's very easy and quick to lower the master volume.

Please, see the attached photos!

Happy Holidays!

-strat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stratoblaster

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »
The shelf-rack-kit was made from plywood and aluminium angle extrusion using pop-rivets. Yes, and the duct tape holds the Level Pilot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 10:49:16 PM »
Looks like you took some of my suggestions.  Nice work.  Pop rivets are amazingly practical.  (I've got a pop rivet tool.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 12:33:24 AM »
Yup if you can deal with wood it's inexpensive and also avoids some unwanted ground loops at times.
When in doubt KISS

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 01:12:31 AM »
It's heavy too.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 04:31:34 AM »
I was surprised that the Mackie unit was made from heavy steel.  Aluminum  with about 3 sets of holes to change what side you mounted the mixer on would be my personal preference.  I used double sided tape to mount my Airport Express.  I usually use the same for power strips.  (It's not that I hate the rack mountable power strips.  Just got a cheap streak that doesn't want to spend $100+ when a $10 one will do.)