Author Topic: Did I read master fader was going to have transport controls for playback?  (Read 20314 times)

Kev tyler

• Knight
sorry guys

Did I imagine the above, that there was talk of having transport controls imbedded in master fader across the whole dl  range?

Kev

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Did I read master fader was going to have transport controls for playback?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:04:52 PM »
I suspect it will only play back recordings made by MF but who knows?

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:39:25 PM »
If you have iOS7 or 8 you can just swipe up from the bottom of the MF screen to bring up the Music app controls, these will allow you to start and pause tracks and step through the current playlist. I'm still using MF 2 but there's no re-synchronising current state from MF just an instant return to MF when you swipe the controls down off screen.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:34:29 PM »
If you have iOS7 or 8 you can just swipe up from the bottom of the MF screen to bring up the Music app controls, these will allow you to start and pause tracks and step through the current playlist. I'm still using MF 2 but there's no re-synchronising current state from MF just an instant return to MF when you swipe the controls down off screen.

+1  - this works like a dream.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »
Thanks guys

Must have dreamt it,

Will hang on in for the dl402 rack

Kev

Bufalo

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
There has been discussion of music-playback transport controls being added as an MF3.1 or 4.0 feature, so you're not imagining things!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 11:27:49 PM »
If what your hoping for is the DL32R version of a stone-age music playback version forget it. You're just having nightmares. The programmer that implemented this wouldn't be caught dead personally using it. No playlist other than file-name order, REALLY. If this is what Mackie considers state of the art then it's time to change vendors. ;D I would expect this kind of work from a programmer trainee, but not from a professional.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:40:48 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 05:53:52 AM »
WK,
I am not trying to make as big stink,,,,
but why in the world are you here spreading mostly negativity?

Virtually everything that you post here is slamming Mackie and their customers who DO like using and owning a Mackie digital mixer... I am one.
You don't even own one, and from your sarcasm, it is obvious that you would never own one either, even though it has literally changed our lives for the better.

I'm not telling you that we forum posters don't want you here, but please... at least try to make at least something positive in every post you make in the future.
I for one would actually read your posts instead of skipping over them because that's what I do.

You obviously know quite bit about lots of things, and that knowledge is power, but please don't waste our time repeating over and over about how inept the Mackie design people are.

I'm done now,, sorry
Dan

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:18:24 AM by dpdan »

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
Hi wk154, guys,

I would have thought a compnay with a big budget would cherry pick a top programmer for this task, I use set list maker, it's a brilliant playback app, or one track, both are airturn equipped.

I would expect some sort of remote control for playback on a 2000 dollar desk, and a 400 dollar desk for that matter.

Cheers

Kev

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »
dpdan First you need to get your facts straight, I do own a DL1608 the same one I disassembled  about 1 1/2 yrs ago    http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=346.0    . Don't confuse me with Kev T.  I was one of the first adopters (Sept. 2012). I spend 50+ years producing quality products and I guess I also expect the same in return as a consumer. What is scary is that a lot of people have such low expectations of manufacturers these days and let things slide. The facts may strike you as harsh and sometimes the truth hurts. You call it negativity  :) , whatever! I would love to post something you might consider positive as soon as Mackie has something that isn't a band-aid solution. Looking back at some of your posts, is the pot calling the kettle black? They had the right approach on the DL1608/Dl806 in the manual  by recommending a third party app for playback but unfortunately it also requires recording as well to be a really usable function. Hence the use of Voice Record and others. That leaves the MF channel recording pretty useless. If you feel that changing the song file name as an acceptable way to get a playlist what can I say. ::) In your case with the DL32R converting all the 44.1k songs to 48K for playback is just another example of low functionality. You can't be happy with that. Once again leaving third party apps to save the day. As to this forum's posts I would suggest you speak for yourself and not tell others what to do. You have a great opportunity to tell it like it is with the DL32R, but will you?
When in doubt KISS

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 10:24:22 AM »
Well I nearly purchased a dl, but coming on here and reading the comments about the reverb and handshaking the white noise  the playback workarounds and so on has put me off a tincey wincey bit,

But they might just get all that right with the dl402.

Kev

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »
The desire for playback controls on the DL is a sad reflection of the music business today.
I'm not immune to it either but I don't use or need playback controls on what has now become a quite busy interface.
Mixers used to be for mixing, EQing and controlling mics and instruments. Let it do that job.
If you want toast, buy a flipping toaster.
It doesn't need this feature, control your tracks at source and don't make the thing unusable.
People here would complain about a free lunch!
The older I get, the better I was!

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »
Well I nearly purchased a dl, but coming on here and reading the comments about the reverb and handshaking the white noise  the playback workarounds and so on has put me off a tincey wincey bit,

But they might just get all that right with the dl402.

Kev
This site generates a lot of bs Kev.
Sad to hear that put you off buying a DL.
If you ever got to try one you would find out that it's perfectly usable.
Don't know if you'll find the holy grail of mixers from Bullwanger either.
My DL actually exists and works perfectly.
The FX work fine for me, I'm not a fan of over effecting and I despise big toilet FX.
I don't like or need to hide performances in FX. Thirty years doing sound like that.
White noise? Hyped out of all proportion.
Most likely not an issue any more, even for the minuscule percentage that "maybe" had it.
Besides, it has yet to be proven to be Mackies fault and probably never will be answered definitively now.

Not wanting to cause a storm (too busy to get embroiled) but I could have sworn that WK posted that he sold his DL many moons ago. If I'm mistaken WK, apologies in advance.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:57:44 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »
Robbo: Not wanting to cause a storm (too busy to get embroiled) but I could have sworn that WK posted that he sold his DL many moons ago. If I'm mistaken WK, apologies in advance. Apology accepted. You're right I did threaten to put it under someones Christmas tree a year ago but I got too busy with the X32 and more important projects. Yes I still have it and treating it as a interesting re-engineering project than a necessary kit, when I have the time to waste. The Mackie can do no wrong song is however getting old.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 04:06:23 PM »
The desire for playback controls on the DL is a sad reflection of the music business today.
I'm not immune to it either but I don't use or need playback controls on what has now become a quite busy interface.
Mixers used to be for mixing, EQing and controlling mics and instruments. Let it do that job.
If you want toast, buy a flipping toaster.
It doesn't need this feature, control your tracks at source and don't make the thing unusable.
People here would complain about a free lunch!

Who said free lunch? Where? Haven't found it yet, but still looking.  :P

I agree, some of us need transport controls, some don’t, how do you or can you accommodate everyone with feature requests? I suppose the record/play controls could be designed into a separate page within MF, but how many screens can you add before everything gets so overwhelming you can’t concentrate on the mix. I’ve found MF3 a bit on the complicated side already, but nowhere near some of the other control apps out there. X32 etc. Where do you draw the line?

Since MF is a free app, how much pressure can you exert to make changes? On the other hand if it was not a free app and say $25-$50.00 for it, I think we should expect a lot from it with regards to features, reliability out of the gate and a maybe more room for suggestions and changes, even though Mackie has listened to the public so far. Gotta give them some credit.  ;)

Personally, I like to use the DL1608 as I think it was originally intended for, a digital version of an analog mixer with the ability to run it wirelessly. I never used the digital effects on analog mixers and don’t mind if the DL’s effects aren’t studio quality. Not a big deal for me. But it might be for a lot of people. How can you cram all these wanted features into this these type of mixers and keep the size and price reasonable? That's the question. "I'd buy that for a dollar" Indeed.  :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:46:16 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler