Author Topic: Did I read master fader was going to have transport controls for playback?  (Read 20304 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Did I read master fader was going to have transport controls for playback?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »
KM let me answer you from the manufacturers point of view. In most cases where an established manufacturer such as Mackie needs to introduce a new product it's because the competition is eating their free lunch. ;D Their revenues are down and as in Mackie's case they've struck out 3 times before on a digital product. The future is in digital mixers like it or not. So, after marketing in conjunction with sales comes up with their wish lists the engineering dept. has the unpleasant job of  making sense and paring down of the no-brain er we can't loose sales/marketing list. This process is ongoing and the usual, while your doing this, can you include this feature (in my days it was called creeping feature-ism) takes place. There is of course another side to the coin and that is called the competition and what they currently have. This is usually the base line and you need to provide something slightly better to make sales. In my experience most clients will use between 10 to 20% of the features but it's the specific features they need and use that makes their buy decisions. Keep in mind that most of what we're talking about are setup conditions not live performance control and as such can be layered in sub-menus logically. Please don't dilute yourself into thinking that it's free software it's not, just bundled into the price. Instead consider that you haven't gotten your moneys worth from Mackie. The rest is to maintain or improve competitive status in the field and fix bugs to retain image. You and I are meaningless in the scheme of things so save your buck. As to your question of who was their target market I'd like to think it was someone other than what their misguided adds portrayed, someone flushing their head in the John.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:08:49 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 01:26:41 AM »
I would have thought a compnay with a big budget would cherry pick a top programmer for this task,
I think it's obvious that Mackie doesn't have anything like the budget that Behringer has to throw at their line of digital mixers. No "big budget" involved - Mackie is having to prioritize their efforts within their limited budget IMO. I'd guesstimate that they have no more than four programmers on the effort - quite possibly just two. You have to realize they have a LOT of products that all need engineering man-hours! Even in just the digital mixer line they probably have the new DL32R prioritized over the DL1608 at the moment.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 03:00:12 AM »
WK:

Of course I realize that the software isn’t really free. If any manufacturer really gave stuff away for free, they couldn’t afford it and go out of existence pretty quickly. Free usually always means “rolled into the cost”. I meant that anyone and everyone who has an iPad and doesn’t have an investment in a DL can literally download MF to their hearts content. So in that sense its “free”. I’ll bet that some of this group who weren’t sure about buying a DL may actually decide to buy after playing around with the app.

As for my money’s worth and a real honest to goodness 100% working DL1608, not mine mind you, that I am using, on MF 2.1.1. I got their (school’s) money’s worth for sure this time. Oh yes, I’m probably one of “those ones”  :) that is only using 10-20% of the potential features available to me and happy to do so, since it works for the applications I use it for. Heck the wireless feature alone is worth the price of admission in my books at this price point for a 1608.

And for those misguided ads/videos to quote you: “As to your question of who was their target market I'd like to think it was someone other than what their misguided ads portrayed, someone flushing their head in the John.” I couldn’t agree more.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »
Robbo: Not wanting to cause a storm (too busy to get embroiled) but I could have sworn that WK posted that he sold his DL many moons ago. If I'm mistaken WK, apologies in advance. Apology accepted. You're right I did threaten to put it under someones Christmas tree a year ago but I got too busy with the X32 and more important projects. Yes I still have it and treating it as a interesting re-engineering project than a necessary kit, when I have the time to waste. The Mackie can do no wrong song is however getting old.
........a few new tunes might benefit us all :) Seasons Greetings! :)
The older I get, the better I was!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »
This is an old tune but still a goodie.  :)

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:40:32 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
KM lets jazz it up a bit. Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells Mackie all the way Oh what fun it is to hear that white noise once again.....  Who knew I could have been a songwriter instead. :)
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 04:44:27 PM »
KM lets jazz it up a bit. Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells Mackie all the way Oh what fun it is to hear that white noise once again.....  Who knew I could have been a songwriter instead. :)

Can't type, I'm still laughing.  :lol:  Don't give up your day job.  ;) That's alright, they pay me not to sing.  :laugh:

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »
The desire for playback controls on the DL is a sad reflection of the music business today.
I'm not immune to it either but I don't use or need playback controls on what has now become a quite busy interface.
Mixers used to be for mixing, EQing and controlling mics and instruments. Let it do that job.
If you want toast, buy a flipping toaster.
It doesn't need this feature, control your tracks at source and don't make the thing unusable.
People here would complain about a free lunch!

Who said free lunch? Where? Haven't found it yet, but still looking.  :P

I agree, some of us need transport controls, some don’t, how do you or can you accommodate everyone with feature requests? I suppose the record/play controls could be designed into a separate page within MF, but how many screens can you add before everything gets so overwhelming you can’t concentrate on the mix. I’ve found MF3 a bit on the complicated side already, but nowhere near some of the other control apps out there. X32 etc. Where do you draw the line?

Since MF is a free app, how much pressure can you exert to make changes? On the other hand if it was not a free app and say $25-$50.00 for it, I think we should expect a lot from it with regards to features, reliability out of the gate and a maybe more room for suggestions and changes, even though Mackie has listened to the public so far. Gotta give them some credit.  ;)

Personally, I like to use the DL1608 as I think it was originally intended for, a digital version of an analog mixer with the ability to run it wirelessly. I never used the digital effects on analog mixers and don’t mind if the DL’s effects aren’t studio quality. Not a big deal for me. But it might be for a lot of people. How can you cram all these wanted features into this these type of mixers and keep the size and price reasonable? That's the question. "I'd buy that for a dollar" Indeed.  :)

Thanks guys for all your comments, I am going to counter with a simple statement,

The dl mixer was originall about 1200 euros I think, for that money it should have had the control screen and faders built in, and of course I would be free to use the miriad  of playback devices without inteferring with the original work flow of the device,
You guys can't honestly expect someone to buy a 1200 euro mixer, bolt in a 500 euro ipad and then
expect them to start messing with another device for playback, we are getting in to 2000 euros now,

I love the bolt it in and charge it option ofthe dl, I am going to hate having to put an iPad a on mic stand and run audio and power in to the berry floor box .

These forums are getting harder to use, tap talk is superimposed over my boxes, still no cursor, sorry

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
TBF when the DL first came out it was incredibly cheap for what it was (a similar quality analogue desk with far fewer features was around the same price) and I worked out that if I wanted the same features in a analogue rig I'd need at least £6k and two fridge sized racks in addition to the desk. I was totally knocked out by what it could do (in fact I still am)  :lol:

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »
I agree it's good for the price, but.. And it's a big but, would you go and buy a new car or any other product and then be told, oh there is no engine in this car, you can sit in it and go brum brum with your lips, but if you want to drive it you need an engine, this one only runs on Apple engines?

The dl should have its price halfed, or they should do a deal and throw in a free iPad.

Kev

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 11:18:17 AM »
I agree it's good for the price, but.. And it's a big but, would you go and buy a new car or any other product and then be told, oh there is no engine in this car, you can sit in it and go brum brum with your lips, but if you want to drive it you need an engine, this one only runs on Apple engines?

The dl should have its price halfed, or they should do a deal and throw in a free iPad.

Kev
LOL. I didn't realise comedy was part of your act too Kev!
The DL1608 is even better value now than it was when I bought mine, two years ago.
It's cheaper and has a raft of new features.
It goes hand in hand with an iPad, I know that, so do you and other potential buyers should too.
In the list of tools to make a living, iPads aren't that expensive really and in plentiful supply second hand.
Don't get a car if you don't want to buy petrol for it!
If you don't want to buy an iPad, don't buy a DL, simple as that!

PS. Android support is thin on the ground for most pro audio stuff, ever wonder why?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:24:59 AM by robbocurry »

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »

Kev
Well maybe they shoud pay u also $ 1200,00
Let get everything for free  ;D

And yes dl has some small buggs
I used it maybe over 100 times, never i had did big problems that where a show breaker. For me it was worth every dollar/euro that it did cost, incl the the iPad. If u dont like it just sell yours or buy something else and stop complaining

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »

Kev
Well maybe they shoud pay u also $ 1200,00
Let get everything for free  ;D

And yes dl has some small buggs
I used it maybe over 100 times, never i had did big problems that where a show breaker. For me it was worth every dollar/euro that it did cost, incl the the iPad. If u dont like it just sell yours or buy something else and stop complaining

The thing is Ampli he doecn't even own one and he's posted 184 times on this forum and most of what he says is nonsense!!!!

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »
Monsieur pitchy, Opinions are like ars$ holes, everyone has one.

Sorry but you are basically wrong, mark my words, a couple of years from now, there will be loads of low ch count digital desks, controlled by a physical fader unit bolted to an iPad. 184 posts, because the companies do not  listen or respond, I am not going to rush out and buy a mackie mixer, because they do not make the product I need.

By the way junior, I have to ask, what do you know?

Hi Robbo, you have to have a sense of humour after thirty years doing the rounds mate, but seriously I dont do second hand gear,

Dl806 + 2 iPads= 1700 euros, no thanks. Not for 1 mic and playback.

And Thats not counting 100 euros for the silly bracket, and any future ipad Adaptors, I think 350 to 400 is about the right price for the cheapest dl,

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:20:19 PM by Kev tyler »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
Monsieur pitchy, Opinions are like ars$ holes, everyone has one.

Sorry but you are basically wrong, mark my words, a couple of years from now, there will be loads of low ch count digital desks, controlled by a physical fader unit bolted to an iPad. 184 posts, because the companies do not  listen or respond, I am not going to rush out and buy a mackie mixer, because they do not make the product I need.

By the way junior, I have to ask, what do you know?

Hi Robbo, you have to have a sense of humour after thirty years doing the rounds mate, but seriously I dont do second hand gear,

Dl806 + 2 iPads= 1700 euros, no thanks. Not for 1 mic and playback.

And Thats not counting 100 euros for the silly bracket, and any future ipad Adaptors, I think 350 to 400 is about the right price for the cheapest dl,

Cheers
Small analogue mixer seems right up your street tbh!!!
Zed 10fx or the like!!