Author Topic: Double Checking Matrix Setup With the Forum  (Read 1945 times)

takis

• Padawan
Double Checking Matrix Setup With the Forum
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:29:59 PM »
First off, I am very impressed with the overall concept and product, including both software and hardware with the DL32R.  I just received the unit and spent the weekend in placing hardware in the rack and testing it out in my basement.

This is the setup I am using for the small 4-piece band I play in and run sound...

We have 2 main speakers that we place in front of the band.  Then we have 6 speakers we place behind/around the band (like monitors, but not really). 

The way I 'mix' the vocals and instruments volumes between the front and 'surround' speakers is by panning each channel left ot right.

So, after reading the manual rather quickly, I used the Matrix 1,2, and 3 to route Outputs 12 through 7... like, Matrix 1 was routed to 12 and 11 outputs that went to one set of speakers, etc.  Each Matrix input (1,2 and 3) was designated to the RIGHT channel of the 2 choices of left and right volume faders.

I then went into the 'output Matrix' of the software to map the LEFT channel to Outputs 14 and 13...  and then for Matrix 1, outputs 12 and 11, and for Matrix 2 outputs 10 and 9, etc. designated teh RIGHT channel.

My logic for this setup is to utilized an seperate EQ and Compressor per each pair of speakers.. plus, all the amps going to each speaker are not the same wattage, so overall quick volume controll can be achieved.

I think this is the correct setup, but any input, or other type of setup would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Takis

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:21:57 PM by takis »

tmn126

• Youngling
Re: Double Checking Matrix Setup With the Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »
Hi Takis,

Not sure if it would help but, you might try assigning your inputs to a few sub groups.  If you go to the channel assignment page for the sub you can disable the "Main" output on the far left, then route the sub group outputs to your different aux's on the output routing page.

You can eq and comp each sub group to your liking (one subgroup per amp or speaker pair) then assign the subs to a VCA.

This will allow you to dail in each monitor then be able to adjust them all with one VCA.

Hope that isn't too confusing  :)

Cheers..

takis

• Padawan
Re: Double Checking Matrix Setup With the Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 03:05:56 PM »
Thanks for the input...  Actually, I am doing something like what you explained just for the drummer's monitor.  I left that out in the description above, because I forgot about it.   So, yes, I have the drummer in a sub group where I compress the overall mix and send that to a specific AUX out that goes right to his monitor.

I have been reading and re-reading the sections on faders/matrices/auxes/ etc. in the new manual and coming more up to speed with the variety of setups that I can do.. but the current setup described above is mimicing the previous setup I had with the older 'analog' setup...

Another item I noticed that is a plus that each channel has its own compressor/gate by default, thus when nothing is playing, the whole system is gated mute, whcih in the past I had to setup the L/R main compressor/gate...