Author Topic: MF3 Subgroups and Auxes  (Read 2425 times)

Deeej

• Initiate
MF3 Subgroups and Auxes
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
Hi all
New Dl1608 user here! It's a great little mixer, and this is a great forum - a little too much unhelpful negativity here and there perhaps, but only to be expected...

Anyway I'm looking for some advice about the new subgroup feature in MF3. I've setup a subgroup for the drum kit, and have removed the individual channels from LR. So far so good, and it works well.

However, as it's an electronic kit, we need to also send it to Aux 1 which goes to the on-stage monitoring. It seems that the subgroup fader in the Aux 1 view can't be used to control the level of the kit in the monitors - if you move this fader, it actually changes the level in LR. It appears that I need to use the individual channels to control the levels sent to Aux 1. Is this correct?

If so, that's a shame. I guess my issue is that, if I can't  use the subgroup faders in the Aux view, they shouldn't be visible at all. It's bound to cause problems if faders in one view actually change the levels in other outputs.

Is my understanding correct?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: MF3 Subgroups and Auxes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »
Yah, if that worked we'd have matrices - that's how they work ;) . But - the subs are from post-fader so no good for building a monitor mix. And yah, I have no freakin' idea why they show the subs and VCA's on the aux pages :facepalm: .

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »
vca needs to be visible
I use the 1 vca  to control the main aux faders, it's easier to have them then also in the aux groups
That way u can pull the aux main faders all down with just 1 vca fader in case of feedback
Groups visible are also nice
If  you're changing  setting on the aux channels u still can control the main lr mix a little bit if u route everything through the subgroups
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:20:19 PM by Ampli »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 06:09:17 PM »
As far as the VCA's they could get fancy and only display a VCA on the Aux page if it controls the Aux's master 8) .

tmn126

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
I don't believe you can route the sub groups to aux outputs on the 1608 like you can on the 32r (only to the iPad record channels).

If you look at the sub groups channel assignment page it defaults to LR Main selected, which is probably why your hearing the change on the mains when adjusting the sub fader.