Author Topic: DL32R Talkback bug  (Read 8585 times)

tmn126

• Youngling
DL32R Talkback bug
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »
Hi all,

I love the signal routing capabilities of this new system, but when making a few changes to the Talkback routing I found a great way to corrupt a snapshot file.

I didn't want to waste a combo jack on the talk back mic so I routed Mic Pre 16 to talkback in the Input A routing page, then routed the talkback to Aux's 1-6 (three stereo in ear transmitters) in the Talkback routing page.  After making the changes all seamed well until I decided to save the changes to my snapshot, after selecting replace and confirming I got a message stating the snapshot corrupted during the update process and that I needed to re/sync with the mixer (my connection status was now showing offline).  I was able to reconnect to the 32r, but the Talkback changes were lost both on the offline and online versions of the snapshot.  A new duplicate offline show file is also created each time this error is generated ( I ended up with about 7 after all the testing).

After a little testing I found I only get this error when working online (connected to the mixer) when saving changes to the snapshot, I was able to update the snapshot offline without errors, but then once I load that snapshot to the mixer I can no longer save changes without the error.

I spoke to the loud guys and we were able to reproduce the issue while making almost any changes to the talkback routing page both on my mixer and theirs, I'll keep you updated on their response.

Long story short, be careful making talkback changes at a show, thankfully this was just a rehearsal so no harm done.

Cheers..

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: DL32R Talkback bug
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:10:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum and welcome to Beta testing. This is how  it works, you find the problems and report back to the manufacturer what you found. This is done on a formal basis with companies such as Microsoft, Apple etc. or done on a shoestring like Mackie. The effort behind what to do with the input is what makes the difference. It's still an inexpensive way to QC compared to a rigorous in-house testing program.
When in doubt KISS

fazmanicg

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
Hi all,

I love the signal routing capabilities of this new system, but when making a few changes to the Talkback routing I found a great way to corrupt a snapshot file.

I didn't want to waste a combo jack on the talk back mic so I routed Mic Pre 16 to talkback in the Input A routing page, then routed the talkback to Aux's 1-6 (three stereo in ear transmitters) in the Talkback routing page.  After making the changes all seamed well until I decided to save the changes to my snapshot, after selecting replace and confirming I got a message stating the snapshot corrupted during the update process and that I needed to re/sync with the mixer (my connection status was now showing offline).  I was able to reconnect to the 32r, but the Talkback changes were lost both on the offline and online versions of the snapshot.  A new duplicate offline show file is also created each time this error is generated ( I ended up with about 7 after all the testing).

After a little testing I found I only get this error when working online (connected to the mixer) when saving changes to the snapshot, I was able to update the snapshot offline without errors, but then once I load that snapshot to the mixer I can no longer save changes without the error.

I spoke to the loud guys and we were able to reproduce the issue while making almost any changes to the talkback routing page both on my mixer and theirs, I'll keep you updated on their response.

Long story short, be careful making talkback changes at a show, thankfully this was just a rehearsal so no harm done.

Cheers..

I am having a hard time getting the talkback to work at all.  Routed it to Auxes 1-6 from input 32.  Nothin.  -- Everything else is working very well.  I gotta be doing something wrong, I just don't see it.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum and welcome to Beta testing. This is how  it works, you find the problems and report back to the manufacturer what you found. This is done on a formal basis with companies such as Microsoft, Apple etc. or done on a shoestring like Mackie. The effort behind what to do with the input is what makes the difference. It's still an inexpensive way to QC compared to a rigorous in-house testing program.

WK;

From your experience and the bug reports on MF3. Are these non critical issues? Because I wouldn't run a back yard BBQ at home with a DL and MF3 and rely on it until most of the bugs have been corrected. I can't imagine running a big production with a DL and relying on MF3 right now. Sure some of these can be overlooked and worked around. But I'm glad that the DL I use is still on v2.1.1 and it's working just fine. Probably one of the lucky ones.

What is your take on this? Am I just being a little paranoid?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

tmn126

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:48:30 PM »
Did you enable the talkback at the bottom of the Quick Access Panel (to the right of the record menu)?

Also, although you don't need the CH32 input fader turned up for the aux, you do need the aux main output fader turned up.

I tested it on CH32 XLR input and it is working for me.

tmn126

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:08:26 PM »

Haha, Thank you,

While I do agree that more often it is the norm to release products half baked, I also understand that the market demands a new toy every 10 minutes and if you don't provide it someone else will.  While it can be a little frustrating, I must admit I'm also far to willing to play guinea pig when bated with all these new toys..  For a couple thousand the new functionality outweighs the bugs (for me anyways), if it were $10K plus I would be out for blood..

Cheers.. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »

WK;

From your experience and the bug reports on MF3. Are these non critical issues? Because I wouldn't run a back yard BBQ at home with a DL and MF3 and rely on it until most of the bugs have been corrected. I can't imagine running a big production with a DL and relying on MF3 right now. Sure some of these can be overlooked and worked around. But I'm glad that the DL I use is still on v2.1.1 and it's working just fine. Probably one of the lucky ones.

What is your take on this? Am I just being a little paranoid?
As I explained before it all depends on your expectations from the manufacturer. You confidence level is based on their past performance and of course any current issues. I was on a project back in the 90"s (USAF MATS field comm. ) and still remember the General in charge's statement "Failure is not an option". It certainly doesn't apply here. Caution rather than paranoia is what I would call it. Time to step back from hugging trees and looking at the forest. None of us want to buy equipment for the challenge of workarounds we just want it to do the job it was advertised to do. Mackie at this point doesn't measure up and may never due to poor management decisions.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:29:30 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »

Haha, Thank you,

While I do agree that more often it is the norm to release products half baked, I also understand that the market demands a new toy every 10 minutes and if you don't provide it someone else will.  While it can be a little frustrating, I must admit I'm also far to willing to play guinea pig when bated with all these new toys..  For a couple thousand the new functionality outweighs the bugs (for me anyways), if it were $10K plus I would be out for blood..

Cheers..

tmn126,

I have always wanted to get my hands on the latest and greatest (aside from money) and can't wait to upload the latest MF etc. But I was burned once with a DL and MF/iOS update and have been rather more cautious lately, especially with the MF3 bugs to date. But will most likely update when the first patch is released. I would like to benefit from the new features for sure. :)

WK;

What's the old phrase? "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"  ;) And thank you for replying, I appreciate it.  :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

tmn126

• Youngling
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
tmn126,

I have always wanted to get my hands on the latest and greatest (aside from money) and can't wait to upload the latest MF etc. But I was burned once with a DL and MF/iOS update and have been rather more cautious lately, especially with the MF3 bugs to date. But will most likely update when the first patch is released. I would like to benefit from the new features for sure. :)

WK;

What's the old phrase? "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"  ;) And thank you for replying, I appreciate it.  :thu:

Very true, thankfully though we're taking the month off so for me it's perfect timing for the switch.  Lots of time to work out the glitches (I hope) and re-wire the rack  :)

tmn126

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »
Here's the message, this was with a brand new snapshot created from the default 32R show.  Added the Talkback routing change, saved the snapshot, and viola..

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 01:24:11 AM »
Here's the message, this was with a brand new snapshot created from the default 32R show.  Added the Talkback routing change, saved the snapshot, and viola..

Let's hope MF 3.1 is on the horizon and here very soon. AND they've remedied most of all these issues.  :facepalm: I hope LOUD can figure out a reliable workaround for you too.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 02:57:22 AM »
Sure a lot of Whining going on.   Don't any of you remember having totally inadequate PA gear?   (Been there a few times.)  My first PA head was 35 watts.   Ironic that my first PA speakers and my current ones are both EVs.  Originals were 10" woofers and my current are 8" woofers. 

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »

Let's hope MF 3.1 is on the horizon and here very soon. AND they've remedied most of all these issues.  :facepalm: I hope LOUD can figure out a reliable workaround for you too.
You're starting to sound very like our resident cynic there KM ;)
I fear you may be succumbing to the influence of the Dark Side. :lol:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:40:23 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »
Sure a lot of Whining going on.   Don't any of you remember having totally inadequate PA gear?   (Been there a few times.)  My first PA head was 35 watts.   Ironic that my first PA speakers and my current ones are both EVs.  Originals were 10" woofers and my current are 8" woofers.
You said it Wynnd :thu: ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »

For the record, I have never considered any of my gear really inadequate until my personal DL failed and to be honest it was a combination of things I'm sure. It was within a 30 day return policy and I did.

That has not colored my overall opinion on the DL and Mackie in general. There are software issues and they need to be remedied, as I’m sure they will be. And I haven’t been actively running Mackie down every chance I get, on the forum.

Any gear I’ve ever had in the past has always done what I expected of it. The current DL I’m using is exceeding my expectations, but I’m not going to jeopardize this one with an update that may very well introduce minor and annoying issues. Of course I will update when there has been a patch released.

If my concern for anyone having troubles with their current gear is considered whining, I'm disappointed that it was interpreted that way. I am only commiserating with them. Showing understanding and feeling bad for them. Is that wrong? Or the Dark Side?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:30:34 PM by Keyboard Magic »