Author Topic: X Day is Here!  (Read 8516 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
X Day is Here!
« on: December 13, 2014, 04:22:47 AM »
Behringer says they are now shipping the XR18:
https://soundforums.net/threads/11183-X-Air?p=88461#post88461
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:24:27 AM by RoadRanger »

Wynnd

• Master
Re: X Day is Here!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 05:13:41 AM »
About time.  Will be waiting for an arrival report from a purchaser.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:35:45 AM »
Behringer says they are now shipping the XR18:
https://soundforums.net/threads/11183-X-Air?p=88461#post88461
That's about 8 weeks from now  (~Feb 6 2015) based on the x32 track record. That's enough time to rewrite MF3. Don't forget a bunch will go to NAMM 2015 and Vegas.

P.S. would be nice if you answered my e-mail ;)
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »
Apps are more complicated than that.  My fader is taking that much time and it shouldn't be anywhere near as complex as master fader 3

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
Apps are more complicated than that.  My fader is taking that much time and it shouldn't be anywhere near as complex as master fader 3
Just hoping that V3.1 (the real MF 3 ) will be released. BTW just look at what David has done in a year in his spare time.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.davidgiga1993.mixingstationpro&hl=en
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:31:51 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »
Yah, that's what having an open control protocol gets yah. Hopefully Mackie will release theirs soon.

BTW kinda interesting that the DL32R only has three (rather "meh") FX - how's that gonna compete with the eight awesome FX slots in an X32 Rack? Even the X-Air has four FX slots that you can load with all sorts of fancy-arse FX units. I was hopin' the DL32R would have 8 and they'd upgrade the DL16 to 4 but not lookin' good for that :(.

OTOH I think I can use a subgroup in a mute group to separate out the vocals and instruments feeding into the 'verb so I can mute the 'verb just on the vocals, that'll be somewhat as good as having a second 'verb :) .
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:14:56 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 06:48:34 PM »
A while back (March -June time-frame) BenO ask me to hook him up with Metacom and I did. The last contact I had with him was a while ago when he stated he was under a NDA with Mackie. I haven't heard anything since. I hope Mackie is using his talents but I'm somewhat concerned that all they did was threaten him with legal action instead. A lot of his Internet stuff has since disappeared.
I bought a X32 over a year ago and don't think I'll be in the market for anymore Mackie gear. X32 is working out just fine for me (non-gig application and overkill). I have enough mixers for any small gigs anyway including the DL1608. For my weekly gig I use the system I put together with the XAP800 and working out just fine (permanent install at the rehearsal hall).
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »
Heck, I've never seen any evidence that they are running their design ideas by an actual working general provider live sound guy. But Presonus was guilty of that too - designed for the home studio (made a certain amount of sense in their case with the multitrack recording ability).

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 07:37:46 PM »
Heck, I've never seen any evidence that they are running their design ideas by an actual working general provider live sound guy. But Presonus was guilty of that too - designed for the home studio (made a certain amount of sense in their case with the multitrack recording ability).
If you're referring to Metacom he was a student and is a member on this forum. He had OSC running in parallel with Mandolin in the DL. Memory jog.
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=672.msg6406#msg6406
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »
No, I'm referring specifically to before MF 1.0 shipped - but also up through the present. "Uservoice" always seemed a bit silly when it's pretty easy to look at a Mackie 1604 and A&H MizWiz and start with those feature sets. When you get to the next level up (24 ch board with multiple external FX returned to channels) that's not much of a stretch from the channel count of the DL1608 - 16 XLR, 4 FX (2 stereo), 2 iPad = 22. With the additional stereo recording bus I'd insist on (and am still pushing for) that's 24 right there :) .
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:51:32 PM by RoadRanger »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »
Yah, that's what having an open control protocol gets yah. Hopefully Mackie will release theirs soon.

BTW kinda interesting that the DL32R only has three (rather "meh") FX - how's that gonna compete with the eight awesome FX slots in an X32 Rack? Even the X-Air has four FX slots that you can load with all sorts of fancy-arse FX units. I was hopin' the DL32R would have 8 and they'd upgrade the DL16 to 4 but not lookin' good for that :(.

OTOH I think I can use a subgroup in a mute group to separate out the vocals and instruments feeding into the 'verb so I can mute the 'verb just on the vocals, that'll be somewhat as good as having a second 'verb :) .

The X32 does have 8 fx slots but, since it doesn't have GEQ on outputs (it does have a PEQ) you have to use the 4 insert fx if you want a GEQ on outputs. It would be nice if the X32 had a choice of GEQ or PEQ (or both, like the DL has).

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 02:31:57 PM »
That sounds like the DL1608 has a feature that the X32 doesn't and would be nicer if it did!!!!!!!!!    I thought the X32 was a God-like item that had every feature that anyone would ever want and the DL1608 was missing nearly all of them. 

Back to reality.  Being that most analog boards don't have any serious EQ on Aux outputs, the DL is a practical move up that ladder.  I'm not sure if they needed both PEQ and 31 band EQ, but it doesn't hurt.  (And please leave the 31 band alone.  I use that one a lot.)   Anyway, thanks for pointing out that the X32 has some shortcomings that might take it out of the running for some people.  (For me, besides too many channels, it's too large and probably too heavy.)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »
I have both, X32 Compact is too large and too heavy (and way overkill) for most of my gigs so no plans to move the DL on yet. Love em both for different reasons.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »
The X32 does have 8 fx slots but, since it doesn't have GEQ on outputs (it does have a PEQ) you have to use the 4 insert fx if you want a GEQ on outputs. It would be nice if the X32 had a choice of GEQ or PEQ (or both, like the DL has).
Folks that understand PEQ's tend to have no use for GEQ's ;) . The X32 is aimed towards the upper level users, unlike the DL. I didn't notice but I assume the X-Air series does have GEQ's because it is aimed at the same market as the DL's?

EDIT> Yup, has GEQ's and TEQ's as well as PEQ's available on the outputs. Unlike the DL you can only use one at a time - not a problem IMO.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:39:32 PM by RoadRanger »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »
The reason I like a 31 band EQ, is that I want the output to very flat and speakers generally don't help much from that standpoint.  If I didn't have them, I'd find someway to get the same results.