Author Topic: X Day is Here!  (Read 8554 times)

James91104

• Knight
Re: X Day is Here!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 08:53:46 PM »
Yah, that's what having an open control protocol gets yah. Hopefully Mackie will release theirs soon.

BTW kinda interesting that the DL32R only has three (rather "meh") FX - how's that gonna compete with the eight awesome FX slots in an X32 Rack? Even the X-Air has four FX slots that you can load with all sorts of fancy-arse FX units. I was hopin' the DL32R would have 8 and they'd upgrade the DL16 to 4 but not lookin' good for that :(.

OTOH I think I can use a subgroup in a mute group to separate out the vocals and instruments feeding into the 'verb so I can mute the 'verb just on the vocals, that'll be somewhat as good as having a second 'verb :) .

The X32 does have 8 fx slots but, since it doesn't have GEQ on outputs (it does have a PEQ) you have to use the 4 insert fx if you want a GEQ on outputs. It would be nice if the X32 had a choice of GEQ or PEQ (or both, like the DL has).

In response intended mostly for any who may have no experience or familiarity with such. The X32 series can load dual 31 band graphics into 4 of the 8 slots, providing EIGHT discreet EQ`s to be inserted as desired, whilst maintaining 4 effects slots for FX`s. A rather common end user scenario I would imagine.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
The reason I like a 31 band EQ, is that I want the output to very flat and speakers generally don't help much from that standpoint.  If I didn't have them, I'd find someway to get the same results.
Strangely enough, all manufacturer speaker presets I've seen (to flatten them out) are PEQ settings - imagine that ;) .

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 09:11:11 PM »
I'm using DriveRack PX for my powered speakers and monitors when I need them.  I'm using a DriveRack PA for passive FOH.  (Trying to sell all those large speakers.  OK, except for my 1965 Kustom PA speakers with OEM Altec Lansing 15"s.  Gonna keep them for schlocky gigs.  They are heavily EQ'd and bi-amped, so they sound a lot better than they did back then.  Great fun!)  I also have a DOD RTA for more normal things.  (Used that before I got the DriveRacks.) 

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »
The reason I like a 31 band EQ, is that I want the output to very flat and speakers generally don't help much from that standpoint.  If I didn't have them, I'd find someway to get the same results.
Strangely enough, all manufacturer speaker presets I've seen (to flatten them out) are PEQ settings - imagine that ;) .
I'm an olde phart, and have always used graphics to flatten out my speakers and parametric to tune to the room.

But, I could change, if I had to, I guess...
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »
I do that toooooooo!  Much better than pink noise to an occupied room!