Author Topic: Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !  (Read 74276 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2015, 11:21:52 PM »
I'm sure glad there are so many computer literate people here. I barely understand a word of it but it sure sounds like you guys really know how to weed out the mackie inconsistencies.  Makes me feel a lot better knowing they at least acknowledge the problem.
My ipad3 was no worse than the ipad 2.  They both worked great on version 2.1.  I think the true test will be when the new iPad air 2 shows up next week and I can see how it tracks the graphics.
I would NEVER  have bought this new one strictly to use on the DL,  beside being a great price, the retina display was needed for the Netflix app.  Watching e bay carefully and patiently can pay off as I found this for $ 249.00
New....no refurbs or b stock.  Brand new, sealed box, full warranty, free shipping.
I will report on the results after I try it.  I am hoping it works since for me the PEQ is very important. As things are looking very positive this coming year I need to be up to speed. Looks like I have 2-3 bands using me for all gigs this coming year which means 5-7 shows a month.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2015, 12:00:12 AM »
You can't get a "no lag" situation.  Doesn't exist.  Pretty sure what you really mean is no perceiveable lag.  (Humans don't notice things that occur quickly but are still lagging.  Nano-seconds matter to computers.)  I get the difference.  I can live with things this way.  It would be better fixed.  Would be interesting to see the source code for the "modern PEQ".  I'm betting on there being some math to calculate the position being the likely source of the excessive lag.  Math can be very demanding on smaller processors.  And the apparent lack of difference between the later ipads and the ipad 2 would point to the video as not being much of the reason for problems.  Someone probably put some divide function call in there.  If it's integer math, it's pretty fast.  insist upon real math and you get great results at a much slower rate.  (And being that it's calculating the entire time you're adjusting the PEQ, that's a lot of math.)  I'm guessing that a 50 x 200 matrix result would be close enough for functional and with integer math that should run like a banshee.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2015, 07:15:14 PM »
You can't get a "no lag" situation.  Doesn't exist.  Pretty sure what you really mean is no perceiveable lag.  (Humans don't notice things that occur quickly but are still lagging.  Nano-seconds matter to computers.)  I get the difference.  I can live with things this way.  It would be better fixed.  Would be interesting to see the source code for the "modern PEQ".  I'm betting on there being some math to calculate the position being the likely source of the excessive lag.  Math can be very demanding on smaller processors.  And the apparent lack of difference between the later ipads and the ipad 2 would point to the video as not being much of the reason for problems.  Someone probably put some divide function call in there.  If it's integer math, it's pretty fast.  insist upon real math and you get great results at a much slower rate.  (And being that it's calculating the entire time you're adjusting the PEQ, that's a lot of math.)  I'm guessing that a 50 x 200 matrix result would be close enough for functional and with integer math that should run like a banshee.
Wynnd I'm disappointed that you followed BenO into that same rabbit hole. ;) Did Mackie change any part of the PEQ from V2.x or even 1.0 ? NO same calculations! If they had increased the resolution (which we don't even know what it is. 1/3 octave or 1/60th?? ) they would be shouting it from every rooftop as a competitive edge. That leaves two culprits AFAIK. The infamous Mandolin communications from Mackie and the graphics UI library changes from Apple. If your app doesn't play well with multicore GPU processors you're out of luck. Most of that burden fell on Apple and they made sure that most apps wouldn't suffer under the Retina display by doubling the number of GPU's and RAM. That of course leaves Mackie holding the bag with their Mandolin comm package.  My vote is for Mackie.
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »
Well...since I was so curious to see where the problem lies, I was able to borrow a brand new iPad air 2.

Our service techs at my "real" job use iPads to document jobs and generate invoices so I have taken one  of our brand new ones home to play with for the weekend. I will be able to actually try the newest iPad myself this weekend. I'm hoping it solves the problem, even though it has to go back to its rightful owner come Monday morning.

Even if it solves the problem, it sure doesn't in my opinion relieve mackie of the responsibility to provide the app that works for everyone that made the investment in the product already.   If they want to put a note on all new units that the iPad with the 64 bit architecture is needed that's up to them. They could also reput the original app that we know works  back online so people have the option.

Curious as to

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2015, 01:08:52 AM »
Based on what I'm reading here it looks like I'll be moving on to another product :-(

It's really too bad, as I was and have been a huge supporter of this mixer.

I have 2 iPads with 2.1 loaded, and I'm going to attempt to back everything up so that I can use these for as long as possible.

The fix for Mackie is simple, offer a Master Fader Lite version (2.1), but it's not looking like they will go that route.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2015, 11:22:08 AM »
I'm one of seveal people who have suggested that MF2 be made available, I think it was me who suggested 'MF lite' as a name. I've just posted on the DL Facebook page asking if there is a good reason why this is not possible. In my view the cost of doing MF lite would be minimal as they already have MF2 and it wouldn't ever need updating other than minor fixes for iOS version changes. If anybody wants to add a comment https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mackie-DL-Series-User/440051199417992 it can only help the Mackoids see the sense in the suggestion.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
I'm one of seveal people who have suggested that MF2 be made available, I think it was me who suggested 'MF lite' as a name. I've just posted on the DL Facebook page asking if there is a good reason why this is not possible. In my view the cost of doing MF lite would be minimal as they already have MF2 and it wouldn't ever need updating other than minor fixes for iOS version changes. If anybody wants to add a comment https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mackie-DL-Series-User/440051199417992 it can only help the Mackoids see the sense in the suggestion.
3.0 has the fix for the "white noise" problem - plus probably some others. I can understand why they don't want V2 out there with those issues. If they were to do an MF Lite they'd have to do quite a bit of work to at least include the bug fixes :( . I do think that V3 is "ugly" on the DL1608 with the screens optimized for the DL32R not the DL1608. I hope they fix those issues soon...

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2015, 12:33:55 PM »
3.0 has the fix for the "white noise" problem - plus probably some others. I can understand why they don't want V2 out there with those issues. If they were to do an MF Lite they'd have to do quite a bit of work to at least include the bug fixes :( . I do think that V3 is "ugly" on the DL1608 with the screens optimized for the DL32R not the DL1608. I hope they fix those issues soon...

They could just ditch the ipad channel altogether, this would be a lite version after all. Maybe they could improve the hopeless reverb at the same time.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »
I would also agree that a DL lite would be a solution as long as they make it known that the white noise problem has not been eliminated.

Most those who would revert back to that program would understand this since they have already lived this nightmare. New users buying a DL should be advised of the problem or instructed that the V-3 is best if used with the new ipad  that have the better processor.
Educating the user of the possible ups and downs BEFORE they download is the critical part.

I can tell you that my preliminary test last night of the DL1608 with an Ipad Air 2 proved that the V-3 worked flawlessly with this Ipad. There was zero lag and fast opening of screens.  I only used music playing thru the channels to try it.
I will be doing more extensive testing with it tonight, with mics and instruments.     

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2015, 04:00:25 PM »
That's good to hear.  I still don't have a problem with the slight lag with either my ipad 2 or my non-retina ipad mini.   For others that are bothered by the lag, a hardware upgrade should get them back on track.  (Or a willingness to use only the classic PEQ.) 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2015, 07:49:32 PM »
I would also agree that a DL lite would be a solution as long as they make it known that the white noise problem has not been eliminated.

Most those who would revert back to that program would understand this since they have already lived this nightmare. New users buying a DL should be advised of the problem or instructed that the V-3 is best if used with the new ipad  that have the better processor.
Educating the user of the possible ups and downs BEFORE they download is the critical part.

I can tell you that my preliminary test last night of the DL1608 with an Ipad Air 2 proved that the V-3 worked flawlessly with this Ipad. There was zero lag and fast opening of screens.  I only used music playing thru the channels to try it.
I will be doing more extensive testing with it tonight, with mics and instruments.     

Hey Rdmitch;

I agree with you 100% And am glad that the IPad Air 2 preliminary test on MF 3.X showed no lag so far. Mackie says they're trying to tweak the software to help with the lag, but I have a very sneaking suspicion that it really won't get resolved. If there's some improvement that would be great. Gotta give them a chance I suppose. Either that or have to look around for a good deal on an iPad Air 2.  :eek:

Good luck with the rest of your tests!  :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »

Yes - Sam - I loved your idea! I will go to their site and make the same suggestion.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2015, 07:55:35 PM »

MF2 works flawlessly on my iPad 1. I never had the "white noise" problem, nor did the other 6 people that I know locally that use the DL. We just want to keep using it the way it was, a good, solid working unit.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2015, 12:17:10 AM »
Just played around with the updated QSC Touch Mix App 2.0.23 and it works very well on my old iPad 2. No lags like MF 3.X on the same iPad. Everyone seems to be getting it right so far. Except for you know who. Lets hope the next MF update is the ticket? I'm sure they will get it working smoother.

I know MF 3.X has a lot going on, but the QSC App isn't uncomplicated from what I've seen of it either, even though it's an update too. I'm probably comparing Apples (no pun intended) to oranges, but this app (QSC) and others seem to be playing well with iOS 8.X. I did actually read your post WK to Wynnd on Jan 22.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:37:52 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2015, 02:42:37 AM »
Maybe it's very easy to look at another company's app for 30 minutes and say that it's perfect while working with Master Fader 3.x for hours and say that the slight lag makes it totally crap.  (It's not.)  I suspect that the competition isn't perfect and you would have to work with it for longer periods of time to find out what bothers those users.   (And I don't want anyone suggesting that products that aren't on the shelf are perfect.  They're not on the shelves because the manufacturers already know that they aren't perfect yet.)