Author Topic: Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !  (Read 73175 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2015, 05:41:13 PM »
Just finished updating my older iPad 2 to iOS 8.1.3. The iPad is a shade faster overall. I ran MF 2.X on the update and it worked fine, just as before. I then updated to MF 3.X. It opened as fast as 2.X. The fader lag seems to be a little less than before on iOS 8.1.2. Not as fast as MF 2.X still. But it’s pretty much useable now, for myself.

Vintage EQ, which I use exclusively was just fine, like 2.X. Modern EQ, is still atrocious IMHO. When you open up the different functions at first, there is a slight delay. When you close them and open them again right away, they are fast. Maybe loading up into memory?

For myself, I feel that I could now use MF 3.X under iOS 8.1.3 fairly comfortably in a live situation. Overall the iOS update has made MF 3.X generally a little faster on my older iPad 2. I may try it on my newer iPad 2 to see if there is a difference. Probably not though. I still may wait and hang onto MF 2.X, to see if Mackie makes any improvements to the next update of MF 3.X
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2015, 08:26:25 PM »
Not quite the same situation. I don't expect to have to upgrade the ipads that I bought at the same time I bought the mixer (iPad3 and original mini). It's going to become impossible to stay with MF2 in the long run since it is no longer available for any new ipad added to the system. I tried contacting Mackie about what i consider to be an unacceptable situation and got the following reply from BenO:

As you know, Master Fader v3.0 adds a ton of new UI features. This requires more CPU processing from the iPad. Unfortunately, this means that some older iPad including iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad mini will operate slower on graphic intensive screens like mixer view, overview and the EQ. These devices are already got slower with iOS8 than with iOS7 for the same reason. For the best performance, we recommend an iPad Air or iPad mini 2 or newer.

The iPad 3 has the same CPU as the iPad 2, but because it is Retina, has 4 times as many pixels to process. So screens that require CPU intensive tasks will be slower on the iPad 3 than the older iPad 2 and iPad mini. The EQ view is the most CPU intensive screen as you make changes since the iPad needs to recalculate the EQ curve. Thus the iPad 3 EQ has the slowest response to changes.

We are looking into if there are any more performance optimizations that can be done. The EQ screen in particular is on the top of our list and is being improved for the next update.

I hope this helps.

Ben

Here's hoping!

Hi pytchley;

I wrote Mackie on the 26th with the same questions as you and got this reply today. Look familiar? I honestly didn't copy your letter, but it sure looks like it, except the last line in bold.

As you know Master Fader v3.0 adds a ton of new UI features. This requires more CPU processing from the iPad. Unfortunately, this means that some older iPad including iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad mini will operate slower on graphic intensive screens like mixer view, overview and the EQ. These devices are already got slower with iOS8 than with iOS7 for the same reason. For the best performance, we recommend an iPad Air or iPad mini 2 or newer.

The iPad 3 has the same CPU as the iPad 2, but because it is Retina, has 4 times as many pixels to process. So screens that require CPU intensive tasks will be slower on the iPad 3 than the older iPad 2 and iPad mini. The EQ view is the most CPU intensive screen as you make changes since the iPad needs to recalculate the EQ curve. Thus the iPad 3 EQ has the slowest response to changes.

We are looking into if there are any more performance optimizations that can be done. The EQ screen in particular is on the top of our list and will be improved in an update we are just about to submit to Apple.

Ben

Does this mean there's a ray of hope?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:31:20 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »
That's brilliant, I liked that.......Thanks

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2015, 08:40:43 PM »
That's brilliant, I liked that.......Thanks

You're certainly welcome. I thought you might be interested.

Didn't have to work too hard to come up with a customized letter at all.  :facepalm: Copy and Paste is wonderful.  :P

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2015, 09:30:22 PM »
In the meantime try the following to see if performance increases.
Navigate to Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion. Tapping on Reduce Motion will open up another screen with a toggle switch. By default, the circle will be placed on the left side of the oval. Just tap on the circle to switch it over to the right side, thus turning the oval green and reducing motion. This turns off the parallax effect.
And to get rid of that glassy look.
To do this, open up the Settings app and navigate to General > Accessibility > Increase Contrast > Reduce Transparency and turn this feature on.
It may help but since I don't have MF3 loaded I can't try and no I don't have time to load and unload MF.
Still has buggy WiFi and Bluetooth.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:32:11 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2015, 09:41:37 PM »
Navigate to Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion. Tapping on Reduce Motion will open up another screen with a toggle switch. By default, the circle will be placed on the left side of the oval. Just tap on the circle to switch it over to the right side, thus turning the oval green and reducing motion. This turns off the parallax effect.
To do this, open up the Settings app and navigate to General > Accessibility > Increase Contrast > Reduce Transparency and turn this feature on.
It may help but since I don't have MF3 loaded I can't try and no I don't have time to load and unload MF.

I already had motion reduced, maybe it's the default? Reduced transparency. No discernable difference in MF3. Thanks for trying....

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2015, 11:25:01 PM »
I'll give those tips a go to see if they work on my older iPad 2 too! Couldn't hurt! Thanks WK.  :thu:

Oh, I know this has probably been beaten to death, but please forgive my aging brain cells. Does the upgrade to MF 3.X cause issues with AirPlay at all? Since I use it mostly all the time, this is very important. I haven't been able to test it with the school's DL in a live situation. Still comfortably on MF 2.X for now.

I couldn't remember if that particular issue had been resolved on the forum. Please be kind? Any info would be greatly appreciated.  8)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:37:18 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #157 on: January 31, 2015, 11:46:22 PM »

Gave your tips a go and alas, no significant improvement. Oh well. But once again, thank you for the suggestions though. They are appreciated.  :thu:

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2015, 02:42:08 AM »
I upgraded my ipad 2 and saw no difference, but when I shut off Multitasking Gestures, there was a solid improvement.  Seems to me that was one of the suggestions for improved performance with an earlier Master Fader. 

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2015, 03:35:30 AM »
I upgraded my ipad 2 and saw no difference, but when I shut off Multitasking Gestures, there was a solid improvement.  Seems to me that was one of the suggestions for improved performance with an earlier Master Fader. 
Its actually in the RTFM ;) .

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2015, 04:07:33 AM »
Think you should be meaning the Manual.    RTFM is what you tell people who want you to explain everything so they don't need to read the manual.   That said, I obviously read the entire manual when I purchased the mixer in Sept 2013.  I've skimmed a lot of manuals recently.  MF 3.x manual, Toyota Sienna manual. (Got a new car after our other Sienna got totaled.  No one hurt.)   I'm pretty good at finding information when I need to find it.  (And remember that the PEQ lag doesn't bother me at all.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2015, 07:00:35 AM »
Ok so I found an unrecoverable hour to install MF3.01 on iOS7.1.2 just to see for myself what all this slowness was about. Compared to 2.1.1 it is slightly slower on Modern EQ. This is on a iPad 3 with iOS7.1.2. Tested both offline and online which added maybe a bit more delay but it was hard to tell. This is not as slow as the U-tube demo demonstrated. I use a pen anyways and did not get the overshoot. Reading the scales is another story, in short it sucks. Then there's someones bad joke at Mackie with the overview screen, really faders without control!! Defeats the whole purpose, what a waste of time. >:( While I was there I looked at the files on the iPad and there has been a major consolidation of PNG files. The raster screen building blocks. Now at about 90 instead of the 790 previously. That's UI changes to accommodate the DL32r or otherwise known as DL3214.  Some interesting other observations to be posted on another topic stay tuned. Current draw is up a bit by about another 150 mA. Blackfin code is triple the size ? iOS 8.x will probably make the response even slower but I'm not going there yet.
Correction the png files are there and more (not 90) just now in sub-folders.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:35:53 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2015, 07:38:53 AM »
Think you should be meaning the Manual.
That's what I said, the "Really Terrific Friendly Manual" ;) .

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »
Ok so I found an unrecoverable hour to install MF3.01 on iOS7.1.2 just to see for myself what all this slowness was about. Compared to 2.1.1 it is slightly slower on Modern EQ. This is on a iPad 3 with iOS7.1.2.
That's interesting, my lamentably slow ipad3 (cellular 16) is on ios 8.1.2, never had ios 7 as I was on ios 6 when I updated to MF3. Could this be most of the the problem? Might as well try 8.1.3, nothing to loose. Why the hell can't we backtrack on os's like on a computer?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #164 on: February 01, 2015, 02:59:02 PM »
RTFM means Really Terrific Friendly Manual??????   I used to do computer support and that's not what we thought it meant.  I have a T-shirt with it on it.   My Wife and I used to joke, that it's not a career, it's a wardrobe.  (We attended so many user groups.  Linux, Windows, Internet, Novell......  Seemed like there was a meeting twice every week.)  Eventually certified as a CNA for Netware 4.11 and had an A+ too, but that seems years ago.  (Bailed on IT in May 2000.  Guess it has been a while.)   While I don't mind messing with computers, I don't ever want to do it as an occupation ever again.  Way too stressful for my tastes.   (And seeing that I'm about 3 months short of being able to collect Social Security, it is just not something I would even consider now.)