Author Topic: Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !  (Read 73887 times)

tmn126

• Youngling
Re: Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 11:21:18 PM »
If anybody wants to try it PM me and I'll send you a link to my MF2.1.1.ipa

Hi Sam,

Has anyone taken you up on your offer?  Curious to see if you have the same luck..  :)

tmn126

• Youngling
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 11:26:37 PM »
We are lucky that Mackie and the other digital mixer manufacturers make their front end/control apps free.  :)

I'm not going to say "never", but I would NEVER buy a mixer that didn't come with a control whether it be physical faders or an iPad app ,never.  ;)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 11:30:01 PM »
TBF a mixer which had no faders would not be a functioning product without a control app of some kind and no manufacturer would sell such a product.

A couple of people have PMd me for the link but no feedback so far. If you have a copy of the MF2 .ipa then save it before updating to MF3 and do the update on the iPad not in iTunes, if you don't sync the iPad until you're sure you're happy with MF3 you should be able to revert to MF2. I have done this once and it worked for me but I can't guarantee it would work for others.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 02:08:24 AM »
For anyone interested, I just played around with MF 3.0.1 and X-Air Apps on my newer iPad 2, and the same results. Slow responding faders. MF 2.1.1 faders practically move exactly with your finger or stylus. This seems to be a more natural almost physical fader response IMHO. I realize that they can't be 100%.  But MF 2.1.1 is pretty darn close. I know that the fader lag is not the only annoyance in 3.x

Of course this may all be due to the iPad 2 itself. I'd love to test it on a newer model of iPad to see if it makes a difference. Don't really want to invest $440.00 CDN right now for a new iPad Air 16GB . It's not in the cards or going to be under the Christmas Tree this year.  :(  Have to save my pennies up. I could always ask for Xmas, birthday and Fathers Day?  :angel:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 02:15:28 AM »

Hi Sam,

I think that's very good of you to make your MF 2.1.1 file available for anyone who needs it.  :thu:  :thu:

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family! Thank you for sharing and caring.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »
I don't intend to broadcast the link but if it is DRMd it won't be of use to others, if not there's nothing specific to my iTunes so no problem.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »
Went to set up my mixer last night before I headed out to my gig and MF3.0 would launch and immediately crash. Now I am not sure if this is linked to the removal of TestFlight, as I had a preview version, but it caused a bit of panic. I restarted the iPad, still didn't work, then installed the latest iOS patch, didn't work, so removed MF and installed the new version... hey presto we were in business again. Unfortunately, I lost all of my shows and presets from the last 2.5 years, a bit annoying, but I'll get over it.

Anyway, so back up and running, I set what I could up for my gig and then headed out. Docking the iPad instigated the firmware update and then everything was operating as normal. Now, I'm running an iPad 2 (one of the late models, as the 3 came out) and generally, on small movements with the faders I am getting very little lag, the amount I would expect on a touchscreen I guess. Bigger movements have some, but I am talking about almost a full fader swipe at speed, which I don't have to do often when engineering thankfully. It was stable bar one loss of connection (which I am still convinced is a iOS issue, not MF) and I could move between screens at a reasonable pace to tweak EQ, compression, monitor levels, effects settings, etc. The mute buttons responded immediately, which is good, as I use a long delay for some songs which needs to be cut in and out at the right time.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the performance of the desk and application, for me it is up to the job and I would still recommend it without hesitation, though I am conscious that other peoples' experience has been less than ideal.

On a general note, I was one of those people that was a bit annoyed I had to buy a Fruit product to work this mixer, but now I am sort of glad. The reason for this being that even with a relatively controlled software and hardware set, there are still enough variances to cause different users to experience different issues. If this had been opened up and there were Android and Windows platforms to support as well, then I think it would have caused both Mackie and us a whole load more headaches. If they continue to produce products using a unified application, then I think that in the longer term they will probably need to port out to other platforms... ideally when they have the resources and skills to do so.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 02:00:58 PM »
Of course the original controlling software should be included with a mixer.  But until last year, every OS upgrade for a Mac was an extra fee.  With mixers, the incremental updates should be free.  Major updates like MF 3.x would be OK to charge for.  (With a free 2 week to 30 day trial.)  My other thought is the level of software development should rise with additional income going back to the company.  (Though, MF 3.x is pretty good.  They did have a new product to help drive development.) 

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 03:09:29 PM »
Thinking along Wynnd lines I would have no problem paying a small "app" fee for a major release.
I could choose if I felt it was worth the investment and if it benefited my needs. Of course, bug fixes and minor upgrades should always be free.   If it helped fund R & D of improvements, it would be well worth a small fee.

On a different note,  I did a show yesterday for a Engineering firms annual X mas get together.  Mostly background music, a few mics for award presentations, and interfacing with their computer screen for showing of videos they produce but lack decent sound gear for the audio playback.  Now this firm is the largest in this area with offices in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New York and Columbus. They had about 150 Engineers present. Mostly Mechanical.  Electrical, IT  and a few that design for theater  and church audio.  Of course they were quite interested in watching the remote controlling of the sound and how I was able to control everything and switch songs from my ipod from across the room.  Most the guys in audio were quite familiar with the product (one had just specified an DL32R for a new synagogue) but they had fun actually playing with this hands on.  I had  left it with the vintage EQ setting on all channels for my benefit but was able to show them the PEQ screen.  I did not demonstrate the lag to them, but only explained this is the beta version of V 3.1
I think they came away with a nice feel for the product.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »

Hi Sam,

Has anyone taken you up on your offer?  Curious to see if you have the same luck..  :)

I've now had feedback that my copy of MF2.1.1.ipa does NOT work on an iPad associated with a different iTunes account (I suspect that, as well as needing the computer authorised to my account, it would only allow the iPad to be synced with the iTunes library also associated with that account, and I wouldn't be surprised if you can't have a computer authorised with two iTunes accounts). Seems like this is another blind alley  :(

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
One could try iFunBox to load the .ipa file but as I said it's my understanding that won't work because of DRM. OTOH I could be misinformed?

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2014, 10:04:43 PM »
I can't see Apple letting an app designed to circumvent their DRM on the App Store so I'd put (a small amount of) money on you being right  8) .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »
This is were a real company concerned about their customers steps up to the plate and provides a solution for their screw up. Mackie put up MF2. The MF 3 Beta should only have been posted for the DL32R and certainly not for the DL1608/806. Limited exposure would have served you well. Separating the MF apps into two distinct releases would have made far more sense. The hardware has enough differences to warrant this. How do you like the iJail? Android is winning because of this and other technological reasons.
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2014, 10:40:28 PM »
Not sure I entirely agree with you WK but I certainly would welcome Mackie making MF2 available on iTunes alongside MF3, if only because it is much better suited to non-techie users. They could designate it MasterFader Lite v1.0. What about it Mackie?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
Not sure I entirely agree with you WK but I certainly would welcome Mackie making MF2 available on iTunes alongside MF3, if only because it is much better suited to non-techie users. They could designate it MasterFader Lite v1.0. What about it Mackie?
As they say "to each his own" and I don't really care what they name it. Maybe Working MF (WMF)?
When in doubt KISS