Author Topic: Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !  (Read 74042 times)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 10:56:46 PM »
 ;D

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »
It would be nice to see the V.2 up on the App Store for those that desire it.
I would be really torn about going back, while I really dislike the lag issue I would be
Reluctant to give up subgroups and my new understanding of VCAs. There are so many
Really nice things about V.3 that I would be tempted to just put up with the lag, and use the
vintage mode until a fix was found.
Sure would be nice to be able to keep V2 on the iPad 2 and put 3 on the ipad 3.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2014, 06:16:13 AM »
Just like only an artist can call a painting done, Only Mackie can call Master Fader 3.x a Beta.  (Or not)  I can't find anywhere in the app that calls it a Beta.  So it's probably time to stop calling it a Beta.  From what I've heard, I doubt that any version of Master Fader will ever make some people happy.  If there's the slightest hiccup, it will be overblown in Importance and people will threaten to find a "better" product. (Don't any of these people remember multi-tasking with Windows 95?  There were lots of people who didn't think that was multi-tasking at all.) 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2014, 04:11:36 PM »
Some people have issues with 3.x and some don’t. If you haven’t updated, you’re okay for now. If you have updated? Look at some of the members here who have updated and would really rather go back if they could. I’ve been reading posts here about all the troubles with 3.x and have experienced the lag issue myself and was lucky enough to go back.

Why would I update right now if MF 2.1.1 is working perfectly? Of course I’d like some of the benefits of 3.x on the DL1608, but they’re not critical enough to me to update just yet, until hopefully the “minor” issues are addressed, if they ever will be?

I am hoping very much that the next iteration of MF 3.X will address these “minor” issues very soon for myself and everyone else here who is frustrated with it. I don’t think that there will ever be a perfect software for everyone’s tastes, but I hope this one in particular will get closer with further research and a good listening ear from Mackie. We just have to keep hammering the Mackie Customer Feedback Site.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
With the original ipad not being able to upgrade to Master Fader 3 and the lack of a My Fader 3, Mackie clearly should have kept MF 2.x available.  (In my mind as long as these mixers are expected to last.  10 years is probably a minimum and whenever support quits, they should open up the architecture to the public.)  I guess that the only other option in the long run is for Mackie to make their own tablet with custom software and abandon other company products. (And as an Apple stockholder, that wouldn't be good for the price.)   There is something to be said for custom OS on a tablet.  How complicated could it be if you're only building a product for one use?  Tablets are fairly simple in functions.  WiFi is most likely to most complicated and that is a solid technology.  For that matter, a custom wifi addition to a mixer doesn't have to be a tablet.   It just needs to be portable, relatively light and wireless.  (And we get back into my discussion of real faders vs virtual faders.)   This is where the DL32R could get a better remote controller.  Leave the connections onstage and thin client out into the audience with real faders, a large touch pad with batteries and a directional antenna.  (Could also be doing infrared by someone could walk infront of the light.)

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
This is were a real company concerned about their customers steps up to the plate and provides a solution for their screw up. Mackie put up MF2. The MF 3 Beta should only have been posted for the DL32R and certainly not for the DL1608/806. Limited exposure would have served you well. Separating the MF apps into two distinct releases would have made far more sense. The hardware has enough differences to warrant this. How do you like the iJail? Android is winning because of this and other technological reasons.

This is worth repeating. Mackie, please make MF2 available!

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »
  Separating the MF apps into two distinct releases would have made far more sense. The hardware has enough differences to warrant this.
Like, Like and more Like !
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:09:50 PM by James91104 »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2014, 04:47:43 AM »
Just like only an artist can call a painting done, Only Mackie can call Master Fader 3.x a Beta.  (Or not)  I can't find anywhere in the app that calls it a Beta.  So it's probably time to stop calling it a Beta.  From what I've heard, I doubt that any version of Master Fader will ever make some people happy.  If there's the slightest hiccup, it will be overblown in Importance and people will threaten to find a "better" product. (Don't any of these people remember multi-tasking with Windows 95?  There were lots of people who didn't think that was multi-tasking at all.)
Not up to me or you, BenO called it a Beta on this forum.

Topic: Master Fader 3.0 Public Beta Test  (Read 1300 times)
beno
Mackie Product Manager
Master Fader 3.0 Public Beta Test
« on: November 10, 2014, 09:09:42 AM »
Hello All,
We are nearing the release of Master Fader 3.0. As such we are looking for a few brave users to help us test the final release. This public beta will help ensure that the upgrade and Show/Snapshot translation is working properly. With so many different combinations of parameters in your Shows/Snapshots, we want to be sure they update properly and work as expected in 3.0.........

http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=763.0

Ever wonder why he only posted that request here and nowhere else??? The only two day Beta I've ever encountered. :)
Wynnd just for your reading pleasure I thought you might enjoy this.
http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2014/01/28/stephen_fry_says_kildall_was_cracked/#c_2091797
Happy Holidays.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 05:03:00 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2014, 06:04:03 AM »
I was part of the public Beta test and when MF 3.0 was released, I upgraded.  Don't know if it was required, but the public Beta required Apple's Flighttest to run.  The release version didn't.  (Might have been some other reason for flight test, but I deleted the public Beta and Flight Test and installed MF 3.0)  I can't see the difference, but I did have it for more than 2 days.  Ben had said that they had Beta tested it in house before we got ahold of it, so I wasn't expecting many issues and only found one.  (Forgot to check and see if .0.1 fixed that.  Really isn't a serious problem, more of one that looks bad when it really isn't.   And no one on the forum has mentioned it, so apparently I'm the only one here beside's Ben that knows about it.  And I'm not providing additional ammunition to bitch about.  So don't bother asking about it.) 

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2014, 06:24:32 AM »
It was closer to two weeks... I got told off for talking about Fader Club  :lol:

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2014, 06:53:26 AM »
What am I the only one that can still do math here?? It was the 10th for the request (see above) and it was posted on the 17th. That's seven days and Apple usually takes 3-5 days to get it into the APP store that leaves 2-4 days tops.   ::) Time for a new set of Mackie Beta testers (pre and post fader).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:01:54 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 07:07:42 AM »
As I recall, we weren't allowed to discuss our involvement in the Beta testing before the release of the product.  Product is out.  It's been so long that I can't recall what I thought at the time.  I'm liking the new app.  But I had my friend run sound for me last Saturday and the additional complexity makes this a better mixer for the familiar and a worse mixer for Joe Average.  Next time I need a sit-in, I will probably use my small mixer as it's much simpler to use.  (Alesis Multi-Mix 16 firewire)

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 07:38:55 PM »
Next time you need a sit-in fly one of us out to Denver for a night !
I'm sure you can find a taker that would like to visit Colorado and check out the new "legislation"  ;)
Your never to old to learn something stupid

PeterKorg

• Padawan
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
Took the bull by the horns and upgraded to 3.0.1

Just done 2 gigs over the weekend, and although I was nervous and took a spare desk with me, I am pleased to report that I had no issues, I use 14 channels and 6 Aux, for full band line up.

Point to note when I updated the App Ipad2 seemed to freeze for about 10 minutes, with no indication or bar that anything is going on, however just be patient, all of sudden it came to life. Same happened with 2 other ipad 2.

Really like some of the new features

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2015, 11:02:07 PM »
Decided to play around with MF 3.0.1, to give it another whirl. Loaded on the older iPad 2. I did back it up completely in iTunes first, in case I need to roll back. The fader lag is a little more than v 2.1.1, but after a while working with it, it doesn’t seem too, too bad. Haven’t updated the other iPad or done the firmware update on the DL yet.

With enough practice unconnected first, it shouldn’t be too hard to use it in a live situation. I only use the vintage EQ, so that’s not an issue for me. The interface is little more complicated than v 2.x but practice makes perfect. As it is, I feel I could use it live right now. The digital trim feature in particular is worth the update, I think.

I don’t have any upcoming gigs for a while and the DL is at home so if I update it and it doesn’t work I can roll the whole “kitten caboodle” back. I know I’ve done a complete turnaround contrary to my posts against updating, but, “Might As Well Jump” as they say.  ;)

Jan 16th 2014: (didn't update the firmware yet)

Played around with the new version, slow fader response was noticeable. Modern EQ was horrible, although I never use it and won't affect me in any way. Compared it to v 2.x on the other iPad and there was little to no lag anywhere. Just put back v2.x on the test iPad. Going to keep both at 2.x for the for seeable future, until the next update to MF 3.x comes along, probably, hopefully after NAMM, when they release My Fader 3.x  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:51:22 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler