Author Topic: Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !  (Read 73169 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »
Hate to see you guys turn blue, so don't hold your breath. ;)
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »
Totally hear you on that, will  absolutely not be holding my breath waiting.😵

However, I did find on eBay a incredible buy on a iPad air2 , I'll have to hope it's legit.
At least once that shows up I can determine if there is any noticable difference with the latest, greatest iPad.

Fortunately, I was able to sell and/or repurpose my other ipad(s)
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2015, 12:20:34 AM »
Totally hear you on that, will  absolutely not be holding my breath waiting.😵

However, I did find on eBay a incredible buy on a iPad air2 , I'll have to hope it's legit.
At least once that shows up I can determine if there is any noticable difference with the latest, greatest iPad.

Fortunately, I was able to sell and/or repurpose my other ipad(s)

It’s interesting that you have to go buy an iPad Air 2, albeit from eBay to see if MF 3.X will work like it’s supposed to on a faster CPU and more system ram, even though said app should work just as well on the older platforms. I know that you're doing it for testing purposes and buying a new iPad is kinda cool too. At least you, hopefully got some good change from your older iPads to defray the cost of the new one?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:27:20 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2015, 12:31:18 AM »
It was a item I wanted to upgrade anyway. My wife wanted my iPad, and I wanted a new one with the retina display since I also use it for watching Netflix.  One of the guys in our office wanted a mini...so he bought my mini.

I would not have purchased the air2 it at full price , but at the price I found it for and with all the trading off I did it really didn't cost anything. I still have a iPad 3 with all my tunes in it which I will keep with the DL. I figure I'll try the air2  and if it works ...great.

No one should have to replace there iPad to compensate for the program problem. If there was a known issue mackie probably would have put a disclosure on the app.  I think it's a problem they will overcome in time and I sure wish that would come soon.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2015, 01:37:48 PM »
It was a item I wanted to upgrade anyway. My wife wanted my iPad, and I wanted a new one with the retina display since I also use it for watching Netflix.  One of the guys in our office wanted a mini...so he bought my mini.

I would not have purchased the air2 it at full price , but at the price I found it for and with all the trading off I did it really didn't cost anything. I still have a iPad 3 with all my tunes in it which I will keep with the DL. I figure I'll try the air2  and if it works ...great.

No one should have to replace there iPad to compensate for the program problem. If there was a known issue mackie probably would have put a disclosure on the app.  I think it's a problem they will overcome in time and I sure wish that would come soon.

That's good you didn't spend a lot on the iPad Air 2. I'd love to buy one, but having 2 iPad 2's (too?) unless one dies, I can't justify right now. Oh well! I hope that MF 3.x does work better for you. I agree that Mackie will eventually straighten things out.

I could've used the digital trim alone, last night for a school board presentation. I did preset the gains, but couldn't run up to the side stage (where DL was setup) to tweak during the show. Not too professional looking. But the DL ran flawlessly for the duration and the sound was pretty good considering it was in a school gym. Sure didn't need reverb!  :facepalm:

Be nice if and when you find out, you can post back here?  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2015, 02:03:37 PM »
We upgrade software all the time.  Last time I upgraded my Cubase was when an Apple OS-X upgrade killed off my Cubase 3SE.  Cost me $100 and the results are I'm at a better place than I was before.  Wouldn't be that strange to have to upgrade hardware in the same way.  (Cubase Artist 6)

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2015, 03:01:14 PM »
Not quite the same situation. I don't expect to have to upgrade the ipads that I bought at the same time I bought the mixer (iPad3 and original mini). It's going to become impossible to stay with MF2 in the long run since it is no longer available for any new ipad added to the system. I tried contacting Mackie about what i consider to be an unacceptable situation and got the following reply from BenO:

As you know, Master Fader v3.0 adds a ton of new UI features. This requires more CPU processing from the iPad. Unfortunately, this means that some older iPad including iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad mini will operate slower on graphic intensive screens like mixer view, overview and the EQ. These devices are already got slower with iOS8 than with iOS7 for the same reason. For the best performance, we recommend an iPad Air or iPad mini 2 or newer.

The iPad 3 has the same CPU as the iPad 2, but because it is Retina, has 4 times as many pixels to process. So screens that require CPU intensive tasks will be slower on the iPad 3 than the older iPad 2 and iPad mini. The EQ view is the most CPU intensive screen as you make changes since the iPad needs to recalculate the EQ curve. Thus the iPad 3 EQ has the slowest response to changes.

We are looking into if there are any more performance optimizations that can be done. The EQ screen in particular is on the top of our list and is being improved for the next update.

I hope this helps.

Ben

Here's hoping!

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2015, 03:50:12 PM »
pytchley:

Thank you for sharing that with the forum.  :thu: That does clear up the questions, at least for myself. But it leaves me with the decision to either stay with MF 2.1.1 and my iPad 2’s, which work just fine for what I do, or iPad Air, new tray or adapter connection kit and MF 3.X. From what the reply from BenO states, Mackie is looking into this. This is good.

But the real reality is that any new software/OS updates do require more horsepower to run effectively. If you want to play, you have to pay. I’m not in any position to upgrade my iPads at this time. MF 2.X it is or MF 3.X and just live with the small lags. After another gig and really wishing for digital trim, I might just be leaning towards MF 3.X. But in the meantime, I will in particular wait for possible improvements from Mackie. But to quote WK, I won’t turn blue holding my breath.  ;)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2015, 04:50:30 PM »
Not quite the same situation. I don't expect to have to upgrade the ipads that I bought at the same time I bought the mixer (iPad3 and original mini). It's going to become impossible to stay with MF2 in the long run since it is no longer available for any new ipad added to the system. I tried contacting Mackie about what i consider to be an unacceptable situation and got the following reply from BenO:

As you know, Master Fader v3.0 adds a ton of new UI features. This requires more CPU processing from the iPad. Unfortunately, this means that some older iPad including iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad mini will operate slower on graphic intensive screens like mixer view, overview and the EQ. These devices are already got slower with iOS8 than with iOS7 for the same reason. For the best performance, we recommend an iPad Air or iPad mini 2 or newer.

The iPad 3 has the same CPU as the iPad 2, but because it is Retina, has 4 times as many pixels to process. So screens that require CPU intensive tasks will be slower on the iPad 3 than the older iPad 2 and iPad mini. The EQ view is the most CPU intensive screen as you make changes since the iPad needs to recalculate the EQ curve. Thus the iPad 3 EQ has the slowest response to changes.

We are looking into if there are any more performance optimizations that can be done. The EQ screen in particular is on the top of our list and is being improved for the next update.

I hope this helps.

Ben

Here's hoping!
After picking myself off the floor from laughing at BenO's usual marketing BS, let me point out the the BS.  First adding functionality ("ton of features" more like a handful) does not necessarily add response time issues since the code is not being serially executed one would hope. Adding a new screen should not affect the response on an existing one (no code or minor dress-up changes)  ::). BenO clearly doesn't know the difference between an iPad 2 and 3. Apple was well aware of the impact of the Retina display would have hence the 5X processor with double the GPU power with more efficiency in the 3. There are plenty of performance tests to back this up. Definitely not the same CPU as the 2. This falls apart even more since the same EQ curve ran fine on V2.x on the same hardware. iOS 8 on the other hand added 4000 new and changed library routines (the real code base in most apps) and many Apps needed to be changed to take advantage and also eliminate speed issues. Case in point MusicStudio was useless under iOS 8 until they fixed the problem. Yes they are fixable but you need to understand the changes and 4000 is non-trivial. Knowing Mackie management they probably didn't want to spend the money to educate their Software engineer let alone some marketing type. Then off course there is the real design blunder of combining the code base of the DL32R with the DL1608 in a single MF binary adding tons of decision logic to the code, just to save a few pennies with Apple. The same reason V2.x is not in the App store. Oh and there is that evil empire of Software Engineers at BE.... that seem to have no problem with the Retina display. >:D
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
“Then of course there is the real design blunder of combining the code base of the DL32R with the DL1608 in a single MF binary adding tons of decision logic to the code, just to save a few pennies with Apple.”

I guess they didn’t want to leave the DL 806/1608 platform owners in the lurch with new software only for the DL32? I think a lot here would’ve preferred to have v2.1.1 still available as a separate app. And of course the real reason, to save money. Isn’t this similar to MS and Windows 8.x and now the upcoming Windows 10? One OS for all devices? In reality this doesn’t always work.

Hell, I’m using 8.1 and I love it, but the Start Screen IMHO really lends itself better to touch screens. I have a touch screen laptop, but am using StartIsBack for the traditional desktop and benefiting from 8.1 under the hood. Too bad Mackie couldn’t have made some option that allowed MF to identify which platform it was on and select the appropriate interface for that platform. I know, smoking that funny stuff again. If wishes were fishes I suppose.  ;)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2015, 06:16:58 PM »
Is that stuff legal in Canada? The solution is trivial since all assemblers and compilers I'm aware of have had conditionals for decades. This also gets rid of unwanted bloat. Just needs two binaries and according to Apple's rules requires separate Apps. Read my lips BenO Master Fader 16 and Master Fader 32. :) Same source code base.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:19:20 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2015, 06:46:05 PM »
I'm running MF3 on an ipad 2 and don't find it lacking in power.  There is a bit of a lag in the channel PEQ modern, but I don't find it unacceptable.   So I call Mackie's answer a bit of BS.  I don't see how a thin client should suffer much from the power in any modern tablet.  Games are more likely to suck the life out of an ipad's hardware.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2015, 06:51:53 PM »
I'll bet that the lag is caused by making the modern PEQ to do some math.  There are ways around that that would be functional and smoother without being perfect.   (While being much more responsive.)  Don't give up hope for a cure.  I'm pretty sure there is one.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2015, 07:00:30 PM »
Is that stuff legal in Canada? The solution is trivial since all assemblers and compilers I'm aware of have had conditionals for decades. This also gets rid of unwanted bloat. Just needs two binaries and according to Apple's rules requires separate Apps. Read my lips BenO Master Fader 16 and Master Fader 32. :) Same source code base.

I certainly don't think so, but maybe if the Mackie programmers tried some of the good stuff, there might be results? Couldn't hurt.  >:D Or maybe that's the reason why everything is a little off center? That original DL promo video seemed to support that.  :facepalm:

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2015, 07:20:43 PM »
I'm running MF3 on an ipad 2 and don't find it lacking in power.  There is a bit of a lag in the channel PEQ modern, but I don't find it unacceptable.   So I call Mackie's answer a bit of BS.  I don't see how a thin client should suffer much from the power in any modern tablet.  Games are more likely to suck the life out of an ipad's hardware.
Sorry Wynnd no lag is acceptable and on an ipad3 it's ridiculously slow, not quite so much on the mini. On MF2 they are both perfect and that's the only way you can work properly with it.