Author Topic: dl1608 digital trim  (Read 8043 times)

iwerica

• Youngling
dl1608 digital trim
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »
hy to all.
can someone explain to me what benefits i have from digital trim ,in comparison to the past time with only analog, and how it can be put to good use in some situations

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: dl1608 digital trim
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:27:19 PM »
It's perfect for taming the hot iPad channel and useful for tweaking the other channel levels after you've set the channel gain to a safe level. It's not a perfect substitute for proper remote gains but it's the best the DL will allow.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:32:01 PM »
Hi chas

Why is the hot ipad channel an issue?

Why don't dl users just use a simple program to bring the overall level of MP3 s on the pad down to an acceptable level?

Kev :)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:23:17 AM »
Why is the hot ipad channel an issue?
It never was a "real" issue - just scared some folks ;) . Since the trim doesn't affect the "pinned" VU meter "issue" it doesn't changed the perceived "issue" at all LOL.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:33:30 AM »
Thanks road ranger,

I thought it was a question that there was not enough fader range for particularly louder tracks, but no one in their right mind would do gigs without normalizing tracks anyway I would have thought.

:)

iwerica

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
so, for my question, is it possible that i put all gain knobs at 12o'clock and than adjust it on digital trim? last time i was late on gig, and i had no time to try it, so i put gains like i usually do for all 16 chanels, as i remember from my latest gigs, and leave digital trim to default(like before v3.0). but i am trying to find way to recall all settings(with gains) so i dont have to check every time gain knobs for every channel

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
so, for my question, is it possible that i put all gain knobs at 12o'clock and than adjust it on digital trim? last time i was late on gig, and i had no time to try it, so i put gains like i usually do for all 16 chanels, as i remember from my latest gigs, and leave digital trim to default(like before v3.0). but i am trying to find way to recall all settings(with gains) so i dont have to check every time gain knobs for every channel
IME vocal mics generally work fine with the gain at noon - even before V3. However you'll have some channels that can't be turned up that high - possibly keys, kick, bass amp DI, iPod. I just check my settings from the last show - all are at noon except for the first six channels which are set below that - kick, floor tom, rack tom, snare, bass, and keys. Those would all be OK at 10 o'clock except for the bass amp DI which is at 8 o'clock :( .

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 06:18:27 PM »
Why don't dl users just use a simple program to bring the overall level of MP3 s on the pad down to an acceptable level?

If they did, those same MP3s would be way too quiet to play anywhere else. You need about a 10dB drop to get decent fader travel on the iPad channel.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
You need about a 10dB drop to get decent fader travel on the iPad channel.
While I don't really need to, I am running my trims at -12 on the iPad channel just because I can.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 07:19:02 PM »
Got my iPad trims pulled all the way down here.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »
I'm used to pulling the master L&R down 10 db during breaks so don't have to "trim" as much ;) .

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »
I almost never touch my masters on any mixer. Especially on iPad controlled ones, where it's nearly impossible to zero the fader, short of typing in 0.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »

If they did, those same MP3s would be way too quiet to play anywhere else. You need about a 10dB drop to get decent fader travel on the iPad channel.

I have experienced a few acts who roll up with dodgy and all over the place backing tracks and so on, downloaded from you tube,  borrowed from another medium,but personally I have never had a problem with a mixer and or pa not being able to boost a  decent track  however low it's been mastered  to a sufficient level, especially for interval,  I don't really see a problem with having a couple of hours of interval music and backing tracks duplicated and labeled  differently for situations where different mixers would be accommodating my iPad,  I guess if you were a DJ, this would be a big deal given the mean storage on a pad or phone compared to a laptop of the same price, but for a few backing tracks and an interval cd, it's no problem surely?

Cheers

Kev

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 09:07:52 PM »
I'm used to pulling the master L&R down 10 db during breaks so don't have to "trim" as much ;) .

Hi rr, I use MP3 gain.exe to normalize all my tracks and interval, but I always use either 2 instances of the playback app on a PC, or specific features of the iOS app to keep a differential between the two,

:)

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »
I don't really see a problem with having a couple of hours of interval music and backing tracks duplicated and labeled  differently for situations where different mixers would be accommodating my iPad,

So you just want to do extra work? I don't. And now that we have trims, there's no reason. If you still want to, though, by all means, go ahead.