Author Topic: Used the DL32R For First Time New Year's Eve - My Overview/Review  (Read 14753 times)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Used the DL32R For First Time New Year's Eve - My Overview/Review
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 07:29:10 PM »
How would you have done this on an analogue desk? I'm not using MF3 or a DL32R but still on MF2 with my DL1608 but I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible. I will try to set the DL up in the studio tomorrow and give it a go, I'm sure if I can make it work on my 1608 it will be possible on the 32R/MF3 setup.

takis

• Padawan
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 07:32:22 PM »
The DL32R is totally new to me.  I still am reading the manual, over and over....

But to answer your question... With my previous Mackie ONYX board, I would hookup the Lexicon to one of the 1 through 6 AUX busses (say 2)... and then Per each channel I would adjust the amount of reverb with the channel's Aux knob per channel.  Hopefully, this makes sense.

Thanks

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 07:43:32 PM »
So, for those who will be trying this system for the first time, make sure you pay attention to the setup of each channel's compresor.gate setings.. even more important, the output comp/gate settings...
slightly off-topic, but i don't see where you'd ever want to gate an output, and personally i don't see many reasons to compress an output either, outside of setting up hard limiting that should ideally never kick in, like for IEMs or speaker protection.
Hey Walter,
Years ago when desks and outboard gear were aplenty, I'd have gates on my LR last thing before the crossover just to kill off any bits and pieces of low level noise that had accumulated.......
In fairness, not much coming from my DL in the hum department, especially if used channels were muted.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:46:30 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
The DL32R is totally new to me.  I still am reading the manual, over and over....

But to answer your question... With my previous Mackie ONYX board, I would hookup the Lexicon to one of the 1 through 6 AUX busses (say 2)... and then Per each channel I would adjust the amount of reverb with the channel's Aux knob per channel.  Hopefully, this makes sense.

Thanks

I've been using the DL for a couple of years now, I'll try to work it out, I'm sure it must be possible.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:46 PM »

Thanks

The aux outs on the DL mixers work just like the aux outs on your old ONYX board -- they're just presented a little differently on the mixer app. So, if you connect the output of one of your auxes (say 2) to the input of your reverb, and connect the output to an input on the DL (say 32), and route that input to the LR main out. It will then function as your "return." Don't forget to set the aux send to be "post fader."
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 09:54:21 PM »
If you want more reverb on one vocalist or instrument I would think you could simply go to the aux 9 (or 10)
Output and increase that particular channels send to the aux out.  Just like if you were sending more of a channel to a monitor send.
I think the reverb signal  coming back to the mixer going into channel 31 is just a "wet" signal and by raising that fader in the main mix you can add the reverb amount to your liking.
At least that is how I do it using my outboard FX processor when I feel like adding more work to my day.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 11:56:50 PM »
takis, thanks for your review. I just got my DL32R last week, and haven't used it in a live gig yet. I'm excited to do so.  :)

As for reverb, I tend to use it very little, if at all. Do you use a lot? Do you use it only on vocals, or do you add it to the snare drum as well?
Mackie Junkie

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 12:38:25 AM »
All a matter of your artistic mind and the desires of the people you are working for.
Sound techs have to use the FOH as their canvas a little. Add only FX that add positive things to the music.
I have seen shows that the reverb or delay were so overkill that the mix sounded like mush.
One group I spent the last 3 years with the lead singer wanted a lot of verb.....a real lot !
While not my taste, it's his band, his sound and my job to make it happen.
On the other hand every other band member gave me free reign on doing what I felt enhanced the mix.
And yes, that meant some verb on snare if the song called for it. Some tunes got heavy reverb and delay on toms too, but just for the needed part, then back to normal. Never on kick as it takes out the punch

Experiment in small increments.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 02:11:34 AM »
takis,... you are not understanding my posts.

I use two aux sends....
one of them for regular reverb and a second one for larger reverb.

You still need to dial in how much reverb of the various channels that you want, just like you do with any console where a post fade aux send is used to feed a reverb.

I set sends (in my case 9 & 10) with both 9 and 10 turned up for inputs that I want to have reverb. This always feeds a dry signal to both reverbs, but keep in mind, one of the reverb send masters is muted depending on the reverb type I want at any given moment.
I did not mention that the dry/wet knob on the reverb needs to be full wet.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:51:35 PM by dpdan »

takis

• Padawan
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
Thanks for everyone's assistance...  I redid the rack to include the Lexicon external hardware unit.  I hooked it up per the direction of everyone.  Actually, it is the same way as I hooked up with my Onyx...  Did not realize it was that simple...  Now I have a good reverb...  Unfortunatley, at the cost of using one AUX and one input, whcih is OK since there a few to spare on both sides....

Something that I noticed, for now, is that the AUX main output volume does not go to unity when the slide is all the way up... could be the balanced cable I am using...

Other than that everything seems to be working...  Will play around a little more.. But again, I really did not want to do this, since the software on the Ipad or the DL32R hardware should easily take care of this.

Just to recap Mono setup:

1) Hookup Lexicon mono input to AUX1 0- 1/4" to XLR female
2) Hookup Channel Input, say 30, to Lexicon mono/left output
3) Go to AUX 1 - place fader to unity - place channel to post fader
4) Go to channel input 30 - turn gain up and then fader to the point the hiss is no that loud
5) THen go to the microphone input, and on AUX 1 slider, place as much reverb you need.

Thanks for everyone's assistance, and I hope Mackie/LOUD improves the reverbs in the near future.

Taki

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 04:50:20 PM »
I think you nailed it !!

We all hope they improve the FX's in the near future.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 07:06:04 PM »
Takis your quote "Something that I noticed, for now, is that the AUX main output volume does not go to unity when the slide is all the way up... could be the balanced cable I am using..." can't be due to a cable. The aux out depends on the collection of dry signals on the aux bus. You have level control over all input channels that are routed to the aux bus. The DL XLR to LEX 1/4" should be a TRS, all balanced but it would only affect the level into the LEX if it were unbalance TS by 6 dB.
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 08:19:31 PM »
Takis,
since you have 32 inputs, you should connect both the left and right outputs of the Lexicon and pan them hard left and right (stereo)
unless your mains are mono.

takis

• Padawan
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
Used the systme with the external Lexicaon this past weekend.  Worked very well.. Only thing noticed is that there was a small high hiss coming through the system because I had to palce the channel gains high enough for the reverb to take full affect.  Not that big of a deal... Tried to work in a Gate, but it affected the tail fo the reverb...

Overall happy for now.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »
Hi takis,
many digital reverbs have noisey outputs so you need to radically lower the "gain" trim on the rever returns and raise the input to to reverb to near clipping. That will give you clean results.