Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Used the DL32R For First Time New Year's Eve - My Overview/Review

<< < (8/9) > >>

pytchley:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on January 15, 2015, 05:05:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: sam.spoons on January 15, 2015, 03:46:26 PM ---The issue with the 1608 was to do with the impedance balanced aux outs rather than the PSU as such. The DL32 has a 3 pin mains connector with a safety earth where the 1608 has a two pin mains lead with no safety earth, not sure how that will affect things though.

--- End quote ---
US version has a three wire IEC power cord w/ground - yous guys don't?

--- End quote ---

3 pin in France too.

sam.spoons:
The UK version of the DL1608 PSU has a 'figure 8', I believe the DL32R is a standard 'kettle lead' euro 3 pin connector.

WK154:

--- Quote from: sam.spoons on January 15, 2015, 03:46:26 PM ---The issue with the 1608 was to do with the impedance balanced aux outs rather than the PSU as such. The DL32 has a 3 pin mains connector with a safety earth where the 1608 has a two pin mains lead with no safety earth, not sure how that will affect things though.

--- End quote ---
Sam I unfortunately have to disagree with your assessment about the noise source. In my prior pin one evaluation of the DL1608 the problem stemmed from the simple fact that the DL grounding system is at fault. It has nothing to do with impedance balanced or active outputs. It has to do with the simple fact that there are 3 ground planes that must be carefully controlled in the mixer. These are the chassis ground, analog ground and the digital ground and their interaction and points of connection. The fact that the power supply in the DL1608 is in two physical parts ( a 12V AC to DC external converter and internal DC to DC converters for all required voltages) and the DL32R is one piece is not really relevant. The power supply circuit design certainly is. Next time you have a chance to read the UK issued PWS model # it would be informative since the UK has a different approach to AC than the US. For those interested in the various parts of the Worlds systems here is some info.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets
takis  it would also be useful if you stated the model # of the LEX you're using.

sam.spoons:
I'm happy to bow to your greater knowledge WK, but without the 'pin one' problem would the other questions not be moot?

WK154:

--- Quote from: sam.spoons on January 16, 2015, 01:33:00 AM ---I'm happy to bow to your greater knowledge WK, but without the 'pin one' problem would the other questions not be moot?

--- End quote ---
Not sure what you mean by other questions? If you saying that the DL32R doesn't have a pin one problem has anyone tested for it? For those of you that may not be aware the output impedance of the DL32R is the antique 600 ohm Telco standard on all analog outputs. The Aux's on the DL1608 are 240 ohms balanced  except for L&R at 600 ohms. What does all this mean? The recommended input/output impedance ratio should be 10 or higher to avoid introducing unnecessary noise. That means the LEX should have an input impedance of 6K or higher. I doubt that. Correct that if it's a PCM-90 a popular LEX it has 100K ohms input impedance, no problem there. There is however a consumer/pro switch which needs to be set to pro (0dBu) with the DL otherwise it easy to overdrive the LEX and it explains the low output from the LEX.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version