Author Topic: Headphone amps for in ear monitors  (Read 7872 times)

Renoman

• Youngling
  • Loud and Clear
Headphone amps for in ear monitors
« on: January 02, 2015, 11:53:42 PM »
How can I make em work? I've tried several including a new Beringer Powerplay P1 which has 2 XLR ins for the option of stereo, which I won't be using, there's a mono switch. My cable out from Aux is a TRS 1/4" to XLR, works fine on my powered monitor [JBL eon]. Very Mysterious!
Lighter gear, fewer wires, everything on wheels!

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
Re: Headphone amps for in ear monitors
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 01:25:42 AM »
In my case you can use trs or ts guitar cable out.  i can run these into small mimi mixers and the Rolls personal monitor devices as well as an IEM unit such a s Senn G3 that I use.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:33:07 AM »
I use a Behringer P1 and it works fine with my DL1608. I mainly use mono and it definitely works with a TRS to XLR cable.

Must be something wrong with the cable.

Cheers

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:04:40 AM »
The P1 has only XLR inputs and should work fine with a TRS>XLRM cable. If the inputs to your headphone amp are TRS stereo (like the jack input on my Berry MA400) then feeding it from a TRS balanced output will not work.

Oddeotek

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 08:26:26 AM »
I'm using a P1 with mine as well, in mono mode, and it works just fine. If your powered monitor works with the cable you're using, perhaps there's a problem with the P1. Have you checked to see if the P1 responds to any other input source? You could use the main LR output or the DL1608 using regular XLR to XLR cables to test it.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »
Since the wonderful manual is lacking lots of info as does your question, here is one convention that may trip you up. Which input are you using? L is the convention for mono input. Depending on how the circuit is made using R in may not work. The pan control may only split L&R earphone volume and have nothing to do with the input L&R in mono mode. So what's broken?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:44:54 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Renoman

• Youngling
  • Loud and Clear
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help fellas. This brand new P1 had barely enough room for the 9v battery and when I installed it I was getting both green and red lights indicating a voltage drop [new battery tested good on my checker] so I took out the battery and in the process severed both red and black battery lines, as I said, it is crazy tight. No matter, hooked up a 9v PS and still red and green lights. I assume that the unit is faulty since I checked all the cords every way conceivable so back she goes.
Any suggestions on a better head phone amp?

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 07:11:16 PM »
I've been running in ear monitors directly out of the DL1608 for 2 years now. The DL1608 doesn't need an amp because it has enough power out of the aux sends to drive IEM's will enough juice to blow your ear drums. Give it a try, you'll be impressed!
I've tested this beyond 100' with no apparent signal loss.

I'm hoping the new DL32R has the same output power to directly drive IEM's without an external amp.

I made my own in ear cables. Female 1/8" Jack with the LR soldered together to send the same signal to both ears. 1/4" male plug on the other end.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:17:49 PM by musicdan »
DL1608

Renoman

• Youngling
  • Loud and Clear
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 07:27:41 PM »
Sweet! I tried it with a TRS into the aux and the phones plugged into the  1/8 stereo converter on the back of the 1/4" TRS plug. Everything should be in stereo, short cords and ---no sound.
I'm sitting beside this rig trying everything I can. Checked the shure head phones, tested the aux on a powered monitor. It must be something simple???

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 10:15:56 PM »
For that to work you need a special lead, male TRS jack at the desk end to a female TRS at the headphone end. The crucial mod is that the ring at the TRSM desk end is connected to the screen at the TRSF headphone end and the tip only at the Desk end is connected to the T&S at the headphone end. The screen at the desk end MUST be left unconnected.

You could make a stereo lead to drive the headphones from two aux's, ask if you need the spec for that adapter lead (but a 2 x TSM to 1 x TRSF lead would work).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:17:59 PM by sam.spoons »

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 10:44:13 PM »
The headphone out works pretty good if you only need one iem send.

Cheers

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 12:24:37 AM »
Absolutely, but it only sends the main L/R or active solos so it's awkward to get a tailored IEM mix unless you are prepared to run the mains off an aux or two.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 12:32:34 AM »
Absolutely, but it only sends the main L/R or active solos so it's awkward to get a tailored IEM mix unless you are prepared to run the mains off an aux or two.

The time or two I did this, I set the aux up for an IEM mix and just solo'd the aux send.

Cheers

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 12:45:54 AM »
Brilliant, never thought of that  :facepalm:

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 05:18:36 AM »
If you're looking to run directly out of the aux sends to your headphones you do not need a TRS. You can use one but the extra ring will serve no purpose and they're generally more expensive. Standard TS cable is all you need since this is an unbalanced signal with no further amplification. with the DL1608 you have the option of 6 mono mixes or 3 stereo mixes. For stereo you need to group the auxes. 1-2, 3-4, 5-6. You'll need a wye adapter that is 1/8" female stereo to two 1/4" male plugs. Each ear of your headphones has its own aux.

You can also leave the auxes un grouped if you want to have a separate mix for each ear. This could be handy but also very confusing and would take some time to dial in the way you want it. For most musicians, mono IEMs will suffice.

On a side note: i am currently running 2 IEM mixes through 1 XLR cable. There's a splitter at each end and It can be run across any size stage with no clutter. It's been working great for over a year now.
DL1608