Author Topic: Untimely DL1608 Firmware Updates  (Read 11303 times)

billmacd

• Initiate
Untimely DL1608 Firmware Updates
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:36:04 PM »
Twice in the last month I've been embarrassed by inordinate unexpected firmware/ software updates at the gig. Yesterday we had a nice sound check at 3PM with 2 3.0 Master Fader iPads working "normally". Come to gig to start at 8 and NOTHING WORKS!! Wireless 1608 shows up under devices. When we select it we get "<disconnected>". We attempt several reboots, and hard resets of both iPads. Re-power the 1608 several times. Club owner is pissed and band mates that I've convinced to work this system are even more pissed. We are 40 minutes late when I attempt a last ditch effort by completely disconnecting thr power from the 1608. This time, FINALLY, I get the message that "there has been a firmware update and your iPad must be updated." Really? On a Saturday night? WTF?!? We switch the iPads to cellular, the software updates take place, the gig is saved...but at high cost and loss of credibility.

I am not able to discern where or how one may anticipate when an update is imminent. Can Mackie notify registered owners via email, and/or post Facebook messages for followers. I am close to unloading this thing. Definitely on the hunt for a viable alternative.

Technology is great, but it is worse than useless when it unexpectedly cripples a performance.

Give me back my 35 year old RANE 12x6 monitor mixer any time. I'd take stability over all the processing bells & whistles any day. The fx mostly sound crappy anyway. All I wanted was reliable individual monitor mixes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:38:00 PM by billmacd »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Untimely DL1608 Firmware Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:21:40 PM »
According to the app store, Master Fader was last updated 12/15/2014 (from 3.0 to 3.0.1) - dunno what you are seeing? I also noticed that My Fader is no longer available in the app store?

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »
My Fader still in my itunes store under iPhone apps, but still at version 2.1.1 unfortunately :-\

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »
Is this scenario even possible?

The OP is saying that somehow the DL1608 did an automatic firmware update?

In my experience this never happens.

Far more common that the ipads auto update Master Fader which results in a prompt to update firmware on the DL when you try and connect.

For my setup, I cannot connect to the internet using the wireless router I use with the DL - so there is no way the DL's firmware can be accidently updated between sound check and the show.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:12:20 AM »
Twice in the last month I've been embarrassed by inordinate unexpected firmware/ software updates at the gig. Yesterday we had a nice sound check at 3PM with 2 ^3.0 Master Fader iPads working "normally".
3.0?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:26:53 AM by RoadRanger »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 02:28:43 AM »
Well, I'll just clean that up again ;)
I'd rather you clean up DL32 vs. DL1608 & Dl806 before it becomes a unmanageable mess.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 02:29:26 AM »
Twice in the last month I've been embarrassed by inordinate unexpected firmware/ software updates at the gig. Yesterday we had a nice sound check at 3PM with 2 ^3.0 Master Fader iPads working "normally".
3.0?
Good point, he probably was still running 3.0 and the mixer somehow became upgraded to 3.0.1 - that would prevent the iPads with 3.0 on them from connecting and prompt the "upgrade needed" message.

To the OP: Are you sure there wasn't one iPad in the mix that had V3.0.1 on it that managed to connect to the Dl and upgrade it?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:39:12 AM by RoadRanger »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 02:32:03 AM »
I'd rather you clean up DL32 vs. DL1608 & Dl806 before it becomes a unmanageable mess.
Unfortunately they share a common app and have much the same firmware so lots of stuff that applies to one applies to the other. Hopefully folks will get in the habit of posting which mixer they are talking about in the titles if it's mixer specific.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 02:34:59 AM »
Unfortunately they share a common app and have much the same firmware so lots of stuff that applies to one applies to the other. Hopefully folks will get in the habit of posting which mixer they are talking about in the titles.
Hardware and software wise they are far appart why should we deal with Mackie's cheap attitude? More differences than commonality. It might cost you a topic. ::)  You actually believe it's the same bin???
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:36:33 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 02:38:16 AM »
So far I've only had to edit one title for clarity - no prob :) . Ya wanna see chaos - on one major live sound forum all X32 discussion (all hardware versions - consoles and racks) is a single looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong thread :o .
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:41:36 AM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 02:40:39 AM »
Well Mackie has you trained right avoid the question. ;)
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 02:43:49 AM »
So far I've only had to edit one title for clarity - no prob :) . Ya wanna see chaos - on one major live sound forum all X32 discussion (all hardware versions - consoles and racks) is a single looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong thread :o .
So we have to be stupid as well?
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 02:44:45 AM »
More differences than commonality. It might cost you a topic. ::)  You actually believe it's the same bin???
As much as all the X32 variants are. I have little doubt that the DL1608 could have most of the DL32R functionality "turned on" if the Mackie marketing droids would allow it...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 02:46:38 AM »
So we have to be stupid as well?
If someone that actually owns a DL32R wants a separate subforum for it I'll entertain it if they can come up with a valid reason :) . We're waaaay ahead of that X32 single thread mess I described by having 443 threads vs 1 (so far).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:48:44 AM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 02:55:55 AM »
More differences than commonality. It might cost you a topic. ::)  You actually believe it's the same bin???
As much as all the X32 variants are. I have little doubt that the DL1608 could have most of the DL32R functionality "turned on" if the Mackie marketing droids would allow it...
As much as I'd like to discuss X32 at least they have one code base with minimal exceptions based on missing hardware. If Mackie has a single bin with tests as to which hardware their running on I'd probably believe it  :o. I can see a conditional compile but that's it. Not something we'll ever see.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:04:55 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS