Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Wireless microphone drama

(1/8) > >>

Fluddman:
Had an interesting gig on Saturday using a Shure SLX24 UHF wireless microphone.

While holding a wireless-connected iPad, I couldn't get anywhere near the wireless microphone without master fader chucking a wobbly. At around six feet MF becomes very erratic and slow to respond. Inside six feet the sync with the DL starts dropping out and eventually it won't reconnect.

I move well away from the microphone and try to reconnect MF. No luck. I try quitting MF, deleting it from the iPads memory and relaunching it. It reconnects but is a little erratic but working. Over the next ten minutes it gets worse and becomes un-usable about 10 seconds into the opening song. Lucky for me I had a rough mix dialled in - it would have been exciting if there was a massive burst of feedback.

Out of desperation I shutdown the ipad and reboot it. Not sure how long this took, enough time to think that the next step would be to try rebooting the mixer and router. After seemingly an eternity it reboots before the first song finishes. Fortunately this did the trick and it was back to normal - phew!

My airport express is mounted in the same rack as the DL and the wireless receiver for the microphone. So I guess I'll try separating them and see how it goes but I doubt this is the problem as it works fine as long as I stay away from the wireless microphone itself. I can't sound check that microphone while holding the iPad.

What I don't really understand is why it continued to effect the iPad/MasterFader after I'd moved well away from the microphone. It's like it somehow corrupted the app or wifi connection and only a complete shutdown and reboot gets it to work. After this experience I am really nervous about using this particular wireless microphone.

Any ideas?

WK154:
Used a SLX H5 band for over a year with the DL not a single problem as described. What band are you using in Sydney? Possible defective Shure transmitter putting out additional frequency. Moving away would mean about 100ft (30meters) at 30mW of power. Can you try replacing either iPad or Shure mic to narrow down problem? I also used a bunch of EW100 Sennheisers along with the Shure at all shows without problems. One other question is the iPad a WiFi only?

Fluddman:
Thanks WK.

Its operating in the L4 band.

I can't try a different mic (i bought one to try and am planning on getting another three) but I can try a different iPad.

The iPad is both wifi and cellular.

I am just setting it up now at home to see if I can replicate the problem.

Cheers

Fluddman:
Ok - this is really weird.

Just set up at home and its working perfectly. Could it somehow be venue specific??

I hate inconsistent problems  :(

Wynnd:
I ran into a venue where my AirPlay didn't work consistently.  And if it were a busier place, I would have attributed it to the audience, but there weren't very many people there.  Old building, maybe bad wiring?  Don't expect to be there again, so I won't worry about it.  I also normally have a docked ipad on the mixer and one for remote.  Those both worked perfectly the entire gig.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version