Author Topic: Autopsy of the DL32R via software.  (Read 3292 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Autopsy of the DL32R via software.
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:05:29 PM »
Since I don't plan to ever own a DL32R I leave the physical disassemble and picture taking to someone else. However the MF3 software thrust upon us DL1608 owners by Mackie and my previous physical autopsy gives me much insight to the DL3214 as it's internal designation references. So what runs this mixer? Most likely the same Blackfin ARM processor used in the DL1608 and DL806. No needed  additional features from other models of the Blackfin series are called for since a lot of the current features aren't even being used. The code size is only slightly larger than the DL1608 1.35Meg vs 1.22Meg. Quite an increase from the ~500KB V2.1.1 IIRC.  There is a ZIP file library in use so memory usage is probably larger than the file sizes.  Some of that is for the Archwave USB streaming and HDD software. All this probably still runs on the outdated version of uClinux. There are two DSP binaries for the Sharc DSP's (2) also the same as the DL1608, no surprises here. The Ethernet controller is probably also the same no expected change here to possibly 1 Gig. :) Double the AD and DA chips should round out the relevant chip sets except for Ram and flash ROM. Ram I could see increasing but Flash has a ways to go. Double the analog Onyx pres and beefed up power supply should wrap it up.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: Autopsy of the DL32R via software.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:10:32 PM »
WK;

Very interesting and though provoking post!  :thu:

So if I’m correct here… It makes sense to keep most of the same internal hardware across the platforms, since the software has to run on all models. No major recoding? Having not seen the inside of the 1608, the only thing that might be a redesign is the motherboard and daughter boards and the hardware changes you mentioned? Unless the existing boards had provisions for upgraded/added components? Which I think you mentioned a long while back?

This would theoretically save Mackie a lot of time and money.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:17:07 AM »
Forgot one of the major analog changes, the pres got digital control possibly a redesign. From a parts standpoint as much of the old stuff was used but no interchangeable boards are possible.
Here is the prior DL1608 autopsy link
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=346.msg2085#msg2085
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:23:13 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:14:30 PM »
Forgot one of the major analog changes, the pres got digital control possibly a redesign. From a parts standpoint as much of the old stuff was used but no interchangeable boards are possible.
Here is the prior DL1608 autopsy link
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=346.msg2085#msg2085

Thank you for the look inside.  :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler