Author Topic: Does the new mixer firmware work with masterfader 2.1.1  (Read 2591 times)

Fish88

• Initiate
Does the new mixer firmware work with masterfader 2.1.1
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:17:04 AM »
We are currently using the dl1608 with an iPad 1 running masterfader 2.1.1. I recently purchased an iPad Air and when I try to connect to the mixer it prompts me to upgrade the mixer firmware. I'm worried that since I cannot update the masterfader software on the iPad 1 that it won't be compatible with the new mixer firmware. Can anyone verify that the new mixer firmware can be controlled by masterfader v02? I'd really like to leave the ipad1 docked and carry the air with me.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Does the new mixer firmware work with masterfader 2.1.1
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 03:26:07 AM »
Nope, Mackie has given us no way to use an original iPad together with a recently purchased newer iPad. If you let the iPad Air upgrade the mixer to V3 it will no longer work with the original iPad :( .

Fish88

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:08:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply RoadRanger,
That's pretty lame. I'd love to take advantage of some of the upgrades. But that makes my old iPad pretty useless. One more reason to drop the Mackie.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 05:28:15 AM »
I believe that if you attach Master Fader 3.x to the DL1608, that it will require a firmware update.  But if you attach Master Fader 2.1.1 to it, it will require a firmware update back to 2.1.1   The correct firmware is always kept with the Master Fader app.  (It's really just the mixer's software to work with the ipad's software.)   You've got the same thing with StudioLive computer software and the Presonus digital mixers. In that case, every change of software version or computer make results in updates.  (Mac and Windows friendly,  but don't expect to use the firmware for the Mac on the Windows computer.) 

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 09:14:38 AM »
That's is correct, you can safely try MF3 on the new iPad and it will update the DL to the new firmware, if you then connect the iPad 1 to the DL it will load the V2 f/w and you are back. You can then delete or archive MF3 and reinstall MF2 on the new iPad (there is a long thread on here about that). Obviously this doesn't help if you like MF3 but you could always sell the iPad 1 to somebody who wants to revert to MF2 (the iPad 1 should (I can't test but that's how iTunes usually handles old hardware) load MF2 from iTunes, it's the only way to get it if you haven't kept a copy or have bought a DL since MF3)