Author Topic: Battery Power on iPAD2 Air Using DL32R  (Read 6145 times)

takis

• Padawan
Battery Power on iPAD2 Air Using DL32R
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:53:05 PM »
Since we do not have a sound person for now, I am runnign sound using the iPad form on stage.  This is the 3rd job I have done the DL32R.  Since I do nto roam around and just stay on stage the entire time, I noticed something interesting that does nto make sense...

First off, I only use the iPAD for the DL32R.  Before the job, I always have it at 99-100% full....  When I get to the job I hook it up and have it plugged in the entire night.  What I noticed is at the end of the night that the battery power is at 67%, when I kept the thing plugged in all night.

Now, I have the unit for the screen to never turn off.. But still, I would figure that I would not lose so much battery power while alwasy plugging in.  Has anyone else seen something similar like this?

Thanks

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Battery Power on iPAD2 Air Using DL32R
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:02:31 PM »
Weird, my iPad mini is usually down to about 67% at the end of the night but I don't have it plugged in and turn it off between sets (I have an iPad 2 docked).

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 07:43:31 PM »
I get through a 4 hour show easily with my ipad mini on battery power alone.  (And I'm usually running OnSong too.)  Drop is somewhere around 40-60% but I don't bother shutting it down between sets and I do turn it on constantly.  I don't have the retina display and that might make a difference and the screen intensity is turned down for my personal comfort.  Pretty sure that would also save some power.  You might be attached to a low wattage USB (port or adapter.)   The ipads work better on the 2 amp power supplies.  Just because it hooks up, doesn't mean it's the right device to attach to your ipad.  (If you're using the one that came with your ipad, it's probably the correct one.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:49:54 PM »
Since we do not have a sound person for now, I am runnign sound using the iPad form on stage.  This is the 3rd job I have done the DL32R.  Since I do nto roam around and just stay on stage the entire time, I noticed something interesting that does nto make sense...

First off, I only use the iPAD for the DL32R.  Before the job, I always have it at 99-100% full....  When I get to the job I hook it up and have it plugged in the entire night.  What I noticed is at the end of the night that the battery power is at 67%, when I kept the thing plugged in all night.

Now, I have the unit for the screen to never turn off.. But still, I would figure that I would not lose so much battery power while alwasy plugging in.  Has anyone else seen something similar like this?

Thanks
Plugged into what? How many hours of use?
When in doubt KISS

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:01:08 AM »
Slightly off topic -

I don't think the app itself (MasterFader) is power hungry I have found that the screen brightness is the most significant impact on how long it takes for the iPads battery to discharge. Because most gigs are in dark rooms I find I can lower the screen brightness by more than 50% - this really helps extend the time I get out of a charge.

Back on topic -

Sounds like you might be plugged into a phone charger rather than an iPad charger.

Cheers

takis

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks guys... I think you found the cullprti...  It is either one of  2 things...  1) I am using my iPhone plug vs. my iPad USB power converter... did not realize that there is a difference or 2) I am plugged into my monster strip, but using the digital plug instead of teh high power plug option... 3) It could be both too...  Will follow up after this weekend's job...

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:41:13 PM »
I have a 4 way mains adapter board with a couple of USB charge sockets built in but after much searching I did find the spec of these charging sockets and they only supply 1A. The iPad really needs 2A to charge, I did use mine for "My Lyric book" while rehearsing tonight and plugged it into an Apple 2A iPad charger, after a couple of hours (display active) it had gone from 2% to 4%. Clearly the iPad (3 in this case) when active draws approaching 2A just to function, to charge significantly while in use you need the display backlight turned down.

takis

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »
Well, I left the Ipad Air (the newest one) on all night (~7 hours)... It went down to 8%... Had the screen on at full and turned off the sleep mode too...  btw, I was using the wrong adapter plug, thus when i plugged it in, I did not see any charging going on...

So, this issue resolved....  But as I get to learn the unit better, I will turn down the luminosity to not to have to plug the unit it.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 12:11:13 AM »
sounds like you found the solution.
always keep a portable  power supply handy.  the little ones you buy on line for
$ 20.00 will charge a iPad 2-3 times.  If it looks like I'm getting below 50% I plug it in
and stick the power supply in my pocket.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:36 AM »
takis......if your ever in a bind just drop me a note since I'm in the Cleveland area too.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 12:16:21 AM »
sounds like you found the solution.
always keep a portable  power supply handy.  the little ones you buy on line for
$ 20.00 will charge a iPad 2-3 times.  If it looks like I'm getting below 50% I plug it in
and stick the power supply in my pocket.

Excellent idea! I'm seriously considering getting one. Especially running wirelessly and no access to an AC outlet. Though I've never run out on a fully charged iPad, yet.  :facepalm: There's always a first time.  :eek:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 12:20:35 AM »
expect the worst to happen.
these come in all sizes and small enough to stick into a pocket. while it is a slow charge, you can plug it it while running the iPad and it will keep you going until break time when you can plug into a wall outlet.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »
Just have to remember to keep the battery pack charged.  :laugh:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 12:36:55 AM »
that's something I would forget to do.....
I once went to a gig without my iPad !  luckily one of the band guys had a spare, and I could
have pulled the pad off the mixer or used my iPod in a pinch.

i

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 12:45:08 AM »
I've never forgotten anything in all the years I've been doing gigs  :angel: cough, cough  ::)