Author Topic: New DL32R competitor  (Read 13386 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: New DL32R competitor
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 05:25:42 PM »
Gotta say the cutesy side view of it being a "Q" shape turns me right off.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 05:32:53 PM »
Gotta say the cutesy side view of it being a "Q" shape turns me right off.

Agreed. I hate wasted space. Those 3 knobs on the face are begging to be torn off, too. They should have been recessed.

They got a lot of stuff right, though.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 08:18:39 AM »
Lol. I'd be looking at the front or the back of it  :)
Won't see the deliberately robust and clever shape that aids cooling when it's in a (possibly shallow) rack.
Ok. I'll admit it. I'm an A&H fanboy....
The older I get, the better I was!

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »
Hi wynnd

Just watched a damming documentary about life in the apple factories, I imagine all work in that nation is the same or worse,

There is a high price to pay for our tech goodies, in the case of Apple, it's paid twice,

It suggests it would cost about 30 dollars more to build I products in the usa,

Shame when you look at the jobless in the uk and the rest  of the world.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 12:36:34 AM »
I saw an estimate that the iphone would cost a whole $80 more to be built here.  (I'm betting that the failure rate would be lower too.  But for things built in China, Apple products are pretty good.)   I would love for them to move production back into this country.  But you should note that more iphone 6 and 6+ have been sold in China than in the USA.  From that standpoint, maybe China is the right place to be making them now.  I do have some Apple stock in my IRA.  Most was bought at $20 a share years ago.  (Split a total of 14 times since.)   Got lucky on that one.  Ford hasn't been quite so good.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
Don't worry ford always bounce back

Yes iPhone is big in China, what a market that country has

Incredible

:)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 12:24:18 AM »
I like that it can be expanded to 38 channels. I wish the DL32R was expandable. :facepalm:
Mackie Junkie

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »
But have you seen the price of the A&H stageboxes €1429 for the 24/12? And the Qu Pac only has 18/20 inputs (the last 2/4 can be mono to stereo) onboard where the DL32R has 32 mic preamps onboard. A Qu Pac plus 2 x GLD-AR84 will give you 36 inputs will probably cost around €2500 (no price on the Qu Pac yet), with a GLD-AR2412 it will be even more.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 03:40:58 PM »
For those people who actually need more than 32 channels, the DL32R isn't a likely choice.  On the other hand, for $2K it's a lot of mixer.  And I'm not one moving that direction.  There's a piece of me that thinks I'm done buying mixers.  (And equipment in general.)  If I do this for another 10 years without dying will be a miracle.  (Dad was 72 when he passed.)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
I've never needed more than 32 channels (except in my dreams), but I have done a few gigs where I used all 32 channels on my old board (Mackie 32x8 analog mixer). And now that I have the DL32R, I'm not interested in buying any other mixer. So far, I'm quite impressed with this one.
Mackie Junkie

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 04:34:39 PM »
Realistically, anybody who needs more than 32 channels is probably in a different league than Mackie's target audience. Two years ago I had 12 mic inputs and three auxs (one of which was my fx send) on my big desk, no compressors or gates and a single fx processor. My how times have moved on :)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 03:31:20 AM »
Much as I love all my new tech, I don't think an iPad would be my weapon of choice for mixing anything more than 16 channels, even that can be cumbersome imho. I definitely prefer real faders, they are quicker and more accurate for me (in panic mode). The DL and it's tiny footprint have a lot of pluses, but to work well for me, I need to use two iPads side by side if I'm using it with new clients.
Maybe it's just my age or my big hands.
You know what they say about guys with big hands?
Yeah, big gloves ;D

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 01:58:43 PM »
Much as I love all my new tech, I don't think an iPad would be my weapon of choice for mixing anything more than 16 channels, even that can be cumbersome imho. I definitely prefer real faders, they are quicker and more accurate for me (in panic mode). The DL and it's tiny footprint have a lot of pluses, but to work well for me, I need to use two iPads side by side if I'm using it with new clients.
Maybe it's just my age or my big hands.
You know what they say about guys with big hands?
Yeah, big gloves ;D

I quite agree with you there, I'm not sure if I could manage 32 all at once, even though you can swipe through channels. Two iPads would be better of course and real faders are even better I think, too. The convenience of the DL is the attraction for myself for sure. I use a stylus on the iPad. It's finer than my big pinkies. Age, big hands and old eyes for me.  :facepalm:

Big gloves? You may want to reconsider that one. The old phrase is "Cold Hands, Warm Heart" I think your better half would agree?  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »
The X-Air app lets you have all 16 channels on one screen (in "narrow" mode) - as I'm used to mixing on the mini that would be fine for me on a regular iPad. OTOH most of the bands I deal with are pros who are pretty good at adjusting their own levels up and down for solos and such.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 06:43:34 PM »
The X-Air app lets you have all 16 channels on one screen (in "narrow" mode) - as I'm used to mixing on the mini that would be fine for me on a regular iPad. OTOH most of the bands I deal with are pros who are pretty good at adjusting their own levels up and down for solos and such.
Yes a "narrow mode" would be handy. I know we have the overview but it's a few touches before you can get control.
You're lucky RR who you have to deal with, I'm not always blessed with professionals let alone musicians!!