Author Topic: Headphone Out not Working  (Read 17063 times)

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
Headphone Out not Working
« on: January 24, 2015, 03:48:25 PM »
I have noticed recently that my headphone out will no longer drive headphones.  I crank up the volume and can hear something but not at a volume that is usable.  Yes I have tried a few sets of headphones as well as 2 types of in ears.  There is enough signal to drive my IEM using an insert y cable to mono so I get stereo into the unit (Senn G3) it will also feed my Rolls device as well as Tascam recorder so I'm at a loss.  And yes I have the master volume out at unity.   x(

Any thoughts?

Chris

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
Re: Headphone Out not Working
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
I should mention for the record it is a DL1608

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »
Tying two outputs together (stereo outputs of the DL) without a more detailed knowledge of the circuits involved will take it's toll, as it seems to have done here. Just because someone makes a input Y cable doesn't mean it's useful, my advise is get rid of it before it causes you more grief. If your DL is under Warranty send it back.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 04:37:30 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »
If it's still under warranty, call Mackie.  Sounds like the headphone amp has either fried or there's another problem.

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »
I am not summing the out together into a mono I am breaking the stereo out into proper left and right mono and then plugging each momo out into my IEM unit in stereo.

How long are they under warranty for?  I have had mine almost since their release.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »
As I often say the devil is in the details and I took your statement in context to the problem but my bad your using a insert Y which in this case becomes a output Y which of course is fine as long as it can drive the outputs. Warranty is 1 year which makes yours out of Warranty.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:01:58 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 04:59:25 PM »
Thank you my friend it is all good and I appreciate you taking the time to talk with me about it :)

I assumed I was well out of warranty.  i don't really use the feature so was just checking to see if I had overlooked anything.

Chris

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 05:07:04 PM »
The headphone subject was covered here some time ago in context with the aux out. I measured the headphone impedance and IIRC it was around 130 ohms, not a great value for quality sound.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 07:12:20 PM »
Make sure you have the virtual headphone volume up fully as well as the hardware knob. It's on the QAP at the bottom confusingly labeled as "Monitor" with two sliders unhelpfully labeled "D" (delay, WTF?) and "L" (level). Turn the "L" all the way up - it's stoopid to have it anywhere else AFAIK.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 09:56:48 PM »
Make sure you have the virtual headphone volume up fully as well as the hardware knob. It's on the QAP at the bottom confusingly labeled as "Monitor" with two sliders unhelpfully labeled "D" (delay, WTF?) and "L" (level). Turn the "L" all the way up - it's stoopid to have it anywhere else AFAIK.

Yeah that is dumb. Thanks Ron - I didn't realise that it was for the headphones. Who would have thunk!

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 05:20:37 PM »
two sliders unhelpfully labeled "D" (delay, WTF?)

Time align the headphones with the sound from the PA.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »
two sliders unhelpfully labeled "D" (delay, WTF?)
Time align the headphones with the sound from the PA.
Now, if they just had a control to align the whole mixer to the expectations of a working live sound provider we'd be all set ;) . Seriously, is anybody finding the "D" control useful?

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 05:44:26 PM »
When you're 250 feet out from the stage, it's really confusing to listen to soloed channels that aren't delayed. Not exactly the market this mixer plays in, but it's an interesting feature to have available.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »
When you're 250 feet out from the stage, it's really confusing to listen to soloed channels that aren't delayed. Not exactly the market this mixer plays in, but it's an interesting feature to have available.
I use high isolation headphones so not a problem for me :-) . Is anybody really running a headphone line out 250 feet or using a 250 foot snake with their DL1608? I only use the headphones from sidestage myself...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 06:19:04 PM »
BTW here's the headphones I use - on sale even :) ! :
http://www.americanmusical.com/weeklydeals.aspx