Author Topic: My Fader 3.0  (Read 30619 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: My Fader 3.0
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 05:28:55 PM »
Don't think I ever whined about it not being perfect.  I'm used to not perfect.  I didn't freak out that the PEQ lag in modern on MF 3.x made it "unusable".  (Didn't buy that then and I don't buy it now.)  I find Master Fader 3.x to be functional and have goodies that I'll probably never use and some goodies that weren't available on MF 2.x that I will use.  There's really only one screen that I don't expect to use and that's the overview.  Too much and too small.   It works, but I don't see myself needing or using it. (Others might find it useful.)   I would like a few more programmable Mutes for my theatrical shows.  (Boy are those useful!)  More programmable views would help too.  The group I'm doing sound for only has 14 wireless mics, so 16 channels works out perfectly.  (Need the others for audio input.) This year's show will be in a restaurant instead of the auditorium.  Should be challenging.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
Of course what I'm really wondering is what app, doesn't hiccup, doesn't ever hang, works on every tablet type.   Come on.  You know that doesn't exist.  Not now and probably not ever.  Generally if you need perfection, you should probably be using a MixWiz.  (Much better than the possible problems with all the digital mixers.)   But I'm not going back.  I'll just live with all the quirks.

Hiccups occur, no doubt. Certainly not perfect. Stability differences do exist across the varying apps & versions, OS & versions and hardware that many have read about and documented on this forum. I state from experience as an owner/user of MF, X-Mix, and SLRemote that any hiccups of MF/DL1608 far exceeded any combined hiccups of X-Mix & SLRemote combined.
It would not just be a contention, but factual, to state that the history of the Mackie Master Fader app version releases has had the greatest burden upon the users in an any attempt to utilize existing hardware, comparative to other manufacturer apps. Exacerbating the situation is the MasterFader one size fits all approach and lack of PC/Mac or Android offerings.
To be fair and factual, X-Mix current version now requires iOS 6.1, however previous X-Mix on iOS 5.xx is still fully compatible with an X32 product running FW version 1.5 if needed or by choice.
SLremote original is iOS 4.3 minimum compatible. And of note, SLRemote AI is 6.xx, and UC Surface is 7.xx minimum.

Yamaha, Roland, and A&H apps are all iOS 5 compatible, allowing for use of an iPad One. A&H iLive MixPad, OneMix, and Offline apps are even iOS 4.3 compatible. And of particular note, A&H iLive MixPad is a $99.99 US Apple App Store download.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »
Don't think I ever whined about it not being perfect.  I'm used to not perfect.  I didn't freak out that the PEQ lag in modern on MF 3.x made it "unusable".  (Didn't buy that then and I don't buy it now.)  I find Master Fader 3.x to be functional and have goodies that I'll probably never use and some goodies that weren't available on MF 2.x that I will use.  There's really only one screen that I don't expect to use and that's the overview.  Too much and too small.   It works, but I don't see myself needing or using it. (Others might find it useful.)   I would like a few more programmable Mutes for my theatrical shows.  (Boy are those useful!)  More programmable views would help too.  The group I'm doing sound for only has 14 wireless mics, so 16 channels works out perfectly.  (Need the others for audio input.) This year's show will be in a restaurant instead of the auditorium.  Should be challenging.

Hi Wynnd,

Let me first say that I think you'll do just fine with your experience at the new location. :thu:

Now...I did whine somewhat about the “lag” IMHO, but as you said it was useable. I did run it at a show with the iPad 2 and I was okay with it. I was very careful pushing the faders, but the type of venue didn’t require (lightning) quick responses from myself. I actually like the new version for the Trim feature mainly and the updated look. The overview screen is too small, but I can sort of see the advantage of being able to drill down to one section quickly though. It would be nice on a much larger screen. Come on iPad Pro!

I may come off as a little two faced here, after my post about not getting a new iPad just because the app really requires it. I finally gave in and got an iPad Air 2. It was sort of an upcoming early birthday present that my better half didn’t mind too much. Wow, I really noticed, in my perception, a substantial improvement in MF 3.0.2. It runs just like MF 2.X did on the iPad 2. And the Retina display makes MF look nicer too, I think. It is sort of a sad thing that this app, in my books was really designed with the newer iPads in mind. Progress.  ::)

Good luck with the show and new location!!!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:49:32 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 06:35:46 PM »
Sounds like all the MicroSoft complaints I've been hearing for decades.

Now where is the perfect mixer app? 

Is the question about a MIXER app or PERSONAL mixer app? Just considering that I may have gone off topic from the OP with my previous replies to what I thought were references to MIXER apps.
Anyways, the perfect app would be the one you code for yourself, pay someone to, or find one to your liking and best use of. It is all subjective.
For what should be of interest, I suggest to compare the PEQ frequency points between apps as proof of not UI differences but DSP software differences.
An iPad2 with iOS7.1 will run all available apps for evaluation and comparative purposes.
But for the record, in my not so humble opinion, I offer the farthest from perfect, nomination for `Worst Live Performance Digital Audio Mixer software/app implementation......

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »
Soundcraft VISi Remote and Offline Editor.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2015, 01:47:13 AM »
I've programmed some, but I would rather modify a well documented app than write one from scratch.  (That documentation was stressed as the weak point on all software maintenance.  It's usually missing or very bad.)

Lightning fast?   That isn't something that pad mixing is good for.  If I were in a hurry to make changes, I can't see anything with separate menus being good for that.  That would be time to go back to a nicely laid out analog board.  Maybe the StudioLive mixers are a good blend of analog design and digital flexibility.  (The DL isn't in my mind.) 

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2015, 04:59:04 AM »
I've programmed some, but I would rather modify a well documented app than write one from scratch.  (That documentation was stressed as the weak point on all software maintenance.  It's usually missing or very bad.)

Lightning fast?   That isn't something that pad mixing is good for.  If I were in a hurry to make changes, I can't see anything with separate menus being good for that.  That would be time to go back to a nicely laid out analog board.  Maybe the StudioLive mixers are a good blend of analog design and digital flexibility.  (The DL isn't in my mind.)

Having used analog boards for the better part of 35 years, and the StudioLive since its introduction, I can tell you that the StudioLive isn't a "lightning fast" board to use. I haven't found any digital desk that's as quick to use as an analog. I don't think there's a digital desk out there (at least none that I've seen) that doesn't require at least one extra step for any function except, maybe, main mix levels -- and that's assuming you're in main mix mode.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2015, 05:46:34 AM »
My point exactly.  Speed on digital boards is sluggish at best.  But considering the DL1608 does a lot more than my MixWiz did, it still has serious advantages over it.  (400 controls on the mixwiz and about 1200 on the DL.)  It's pretty easy to get used to compression and gates on every input and compression and 31 band EQ on every output.  I'm using DriveRack PX for feedback control and that is faster than I could keep up with even on the mixwiz.  Besides I don't like running things so close to feedback that that is an issue.  As long as you don't have a feedback problem, speed isn't very critical.  (My thoughts anyway.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
Even though this conversation I generated is really interesting.  :thu:  I, obviously in this case used the wrong word. I meant fast or quick responses. And with Master Fader 2.X I could move the “virtual” faders quite quickly, almost as fast as a physical fader, in my mind.

Of course nothing beats a real fader, but MF 2.X was pretty darn close in my books. MF 3.X on older iPads was not, to me. The upgrade to the iPad Air 2 restored my perception that MF 3.X is just as fast as v2.X. Even flipping between screens speed has improved greatly with the iPad Air, in my perception. I apologize for leading everyone down the wrong path. Mea Culpa.  :-[
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:04:34 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 03:09:32 PM »
It's 2am here and I've just got home from a nice wedding reception gig.

99% of the time my new iPad air 2 has been lightning fast on everything I do in MF3, but there has been the odd occasion I've noticed a tiny bit of lag. Tonight it happened for a few seconds, but it's so rare it's absolutely no bother at all.

And a little bird told me My Fader 3 was submitted to the App Store today, so not long now till we get the convenience of basic mixing on a pocket device again. Yay!  ;D

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2015, 06:16:50 PM »
Even though this conversation I generated is really interesting.  :thu:  I, obviously in this case used the wrong word. I meant fast or quick responses. And with Master Fader 2.X I could move the “virtual” faders quite quickly, almost as fast as a physical fader, in my mind.

Of course nothing beats a real fader, but MF 2.X was pretty darn close in my books. MF 3.X on older iPads was not, to me. The upgrade to the iPad Air 2 restored my perception that MF 3.X is just as fast as v2.X. Even flipping between screens speed has improved greatly with the iPad Air, in my perception. I apologize for leading everyone down the wrong path. Mea Culpa.  :-[

IMO.
The day there is lost connectivity, nothing beats a real fader. Otherwise,
MF2.xx working on a lowly iPad1/iOS5.1 floats my boat just fine.
MF3 imposed an unnecessary dilemma and burden on a greater number of owners/end-users that could have been entirely avoided with distinct and separate App Store offerings for the DL806/1608  and the DL32R, as well as possibly any future product release.

A conservative 90% of my mixing is via iPad/Android and I have no complaints about speed limitations working predominantly with X-Mix on an iPad Mini. With the requisite and proper Wi-Fi implementation, the defining aspect is the UI. Scrolling sixteen channels on MF2.xx for a solid two hours I find doable & livable. Thirty-two channels worth of scrolling on a DL32R, QU32, SL32AI, Soundcraft VISi (absolute worst), or the as yet unreleased Soundcraft UI, would force me to sit down right quick before collapsing from a psuedo-vertigo effect.
Point being is I maintain that a UI incorporating channel bank tabs is more ideally suited for large channel count mixing than a scrolling channel UI. The user interface IS critical.
And as so many of us have trumpeted here, the simplistic and intuitive design of the MF user interface is the greatest strength and attribute of the DL lineage.
Shame to see it not have been exploited and capitalized on in the low channel count arena where there appears to be a great deal of interested buyers for such products at the desired sale price point.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:58:43 PM by James91104 »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 08:03:22 PM »
I know we're way off the My Fader topic, but MF and My Fader are somewhat connected.

MF in all its versions was and is very intuitive to operate IME.  When I first opened the app way back, it had that familiar look and format that I was used to in analog boards. The basics were very easy to grasp. The only other app that I feel I could use right out of the gate is X32-Mix. It’s a little more daunting, but not too hard to use. X-Air App is confusing and not too intuitive, in my perception. MF just seems to be comfortable for myself and I think quite a few others who use it too.

Really spoiled for Master Fader.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:05:56 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 04:21:42 AM »
I spent a fair amount of time getting used to wandering around Master Fader 3.x.  I needed to make sure I could get to where I needed to be and not get lost getting back.  I'll give Mackie credit for making an App that nothing is far from where you need to be.  If there had been multiple levels deep, things would take time to get to.  As it is, MF 3.x is faster to get to many levels than MF 2.x was.  You can go directly to nearly everything on the App.  On MF 2.x you needed an extra step to get to compression/gates or effects.  It's nice to get there more directly now. 

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 05:08:35 AM »
I feel like the odd one here, as I'm quite happy with my DL mixer and MF3. To be fair, I'm new to this world. I bought the DL32R in December, and and iPad Air 2 to go with it. The app is just as fast as an analog mixer, at least for me. The app is quite intuitive, and has nearly all the features I would use. So far, I'm thrilled with it.
Mackie Junkie

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »
I quite agree about MF, especially the latest version.  Nothing else in my books quite compares to it.  :)