Author Topic: Guitar Center not long for this world, some music equipment companies to follow?  (Read 2988 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
http://www.ericgarland.co/2015/02/03/end-guitar-center/
Behringer has already cut them off and basically written off all the $$$ they are owed. Big question is what other companies will fold when GC does? Can Mackie survive writing off all that they are owed too?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
So Uli and co. aren't that dumb after all. :)
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
http://www.ericgarland.co/2015/02/03/end-guitar-center/
Behringer has already cut them off and basically written off all the $$$ they are owed. Big question is what other companies will fold when GC does? Can Mackie survive writing off all that they are owed too?

If comparing GC stores in my area to locally owned stores is any indication, Mackie will be just fine. Just one local shop in my area has more Mackie gear available than the three nearby GC stores combined. Behringer's another story -- I don't think any of the locally owned shops carry any new Behringer gear any more. If they do, I haven't seen any in their stores.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
I believe (in the UK at least) Berry ask for large commitments from dealers before they will supply at decent discounts. This makes it difficult for independents to stock Berry kit, though some seem to have no trouble buying one off items from the distributor (I suppose they can live with a small margin if it's a pre-paid order).

OTOH, compared to GC, I guess our biggest MI retailers are minnows......

Bufalo

• Youngling
Mackie itself being owned by a larger capital firm already, along with Ampeg and EAW and some others, would hopefully be  able to better absorb some of the loss when GC goes away. They seem to have a pretty broad dealer base outside of GC/MF, which should help them stay alive in the market.

Rdmitch

• Knight
I wonder if they will let the musicians friend remain existent.
Personally  I dislike GC and the overall attitude of the big box stores, but have been
pleased with the musicians friend division or other online retailers.
The only thing I would miss is I did like to occasionally stop at GC to preview a product.
The only place close to me is a local Sam Ash that's about 50 miles away.

I did buy my 1608 at GC since they were willing to take my StudioLive as a trade in

Your never to old to learn something stupid