Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

My First Impressions with MF 3.X and the DL1608. If You're Interested?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
More Testing Continued?

Today I powered up the DL with the iPad docked like I’ve always done and there’ve never been any issues. So the iPad booted and I happened to let the screen go dark instead of logging into the desktop. Well I could not get the iPad to respond whatsoever. Usually you can just push the home button and the screen comes back on. No response. I even tried the power button on the top of the iPad, no response. I then undocked the iPad, it didn’t respond to any button pushes. Crashed? Couldn’t power down the iPad. For all intents and purposes it was dead. (the battery was at 100%) I then tried holding down the power button for about 30 seconds and then the iPad responded and went straight to login and after that onto the desktop. I re-docked it, loaded MF, it synced up and everything worked just fine, like nothing ever happened.

I’m going to try it this way next time I test it to see if it happens again. If so, then I will try the sequence all over again with the iPad undocked before I power up the AirPort then the DL to see if this cures it. So this is 2 crashes with MF 3.X and the updated firmware. The first was the app crash, the second was a locked up iPad. Whatever happened to the BSOD? At least there was info you could analyze to figure out the problem. I think if it’s finicky again, the whole, hole (?) lot gets rolled back to the mainly stable MF 2.X and appropriate firmware. Me thinks that this new version may not be quite ready for the big top yet, at least on the 1608 platform. Just like WK has been telling us many many times. I hear an “I told you so” coming. ;)

MF 3.X update anytime soon, please Mackie and BenO.  8)

Fluddman:

--- Quote from: Keyboard Magic on February 07, 2015, 06:26:34 PM ---More Testing Continued?

Today I powered up the DL with the iPad docked like I’ve always done and there’ve never been any issues. So the iPad booted and I happened to let the screen go dark instead of logging into the desktop. Well I could not get the iPad to respond whatsoever. Usually you can just push the home button and the screen comes back on. No response. I even tried the power button on the top of the iPad, no response. I then undocked the iPad, it didn’t respond to any button pushes. Crashed? Couldn’t power down the iPad. For all intents and purposes it was dead. (the battery was at 100%) I then tried holding down the power button for about 30 seconds and then the iPad responded and went straight to login and after that onto the desktop. I re-docked it, loaded MF, it synced up and everything worked just fine, like nothing ever happened.

I’m going to try it this way next time I test it to see if it happens again. If so, then I will try the sequence all over again with the iPad undocked before I power up the AirPort then the DL to see if this cures it. So this is 2 crashes with MF 3.X and the updated firmware. The first was the app crash, the second was a locked up iPad. Whatever happened to the BSOD? At least there was info you could analyze to figure out the problem. I think if it’s finicky again, the whole, hole (?) lot gets rolled back to the mainly stable MF 2.X and appropriate firmware. Me thinks that this new version may not be quite ready for the big top yet, at least on the 1608 platform. Just like WK has been telling us many many times. I hear an “I told you so” coming. ;)

--- End quote ---

I haven't had this exact problem, but from time to time odd things do happen. For example the other night I lost the wireless connection after the iPad went to sleep during a break - I had an exciting few minutes during the first song back where I had to reboot the iPad (I have an other iPad docked as well so it wasn't a complete disaster).

My point is an iPad is a computer and odd things will happens. I am not in any way trying to defend the DL, just saying that sometimes it could be the iPads fault. As the many threads here have eluded to - its sometimes very hard to know where to assign the blame for a glitch especially when they are random and hard to consistently reproduce.

Cheers

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: Fluddman on February 07, 2015, 10:37:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: Keyboard Magic on February 07, 2015, 06:26:34 PM ---More Testing Continued?

--- End quote ---

I haven't had this exact problem, but from time to time odd things do happen. For example the other night I lost the wireless connection after the iPad went to sleep during a break - I had an exciting few minutes during the first song back where I had to reboot the iPad (I have an other iPad docked as well so it wasn't a complete disaster).

My point is an iPad is a computer and odd things will happens. I am not in any way trying to defend the DL, just saying that sometimes it could be the iPads fault. As the many threads here have eluded to - its sometimes very hard to know where to assign the blame for a glitch especially when they are random and hard to consistently reproduce.

Cheers

--- End quote ---

Hey, Fluddman;

I agree with you 100% it's very hard to nail down an intermittent problem with computers. Since MF 2.X ran flawlessly on this particular iPad and same DL (also a computer), maybe they just don't get along well with each other running 3.X on my combination? But in my case it may as I've mentioned too many times, be prudent to just roll them back to 2.X. But I really do like 3.X.

sam.spoons:
It's the same old problem, I get my internet from a very good, local internet provider (top three, and often top, nationally, for several years). Their customer service is second to none and I mostly get an extremely good connection. Like most UK internet providers they are reliant on BT to provide the infrastructure so if a problem arises it gets bounced from ISP to BT and back again.

Mackie have the same problem with Apple. If MF is troublesome they can blame Apple (maybe with complete justification) but Apple (like BT) will say "not our fault".

Rdmitch:
I guess the moral of the story is to always be prepared for the worst.
Know how to do a quick reboot and don't go into a panic mode.
Just like other systems there can be glitches that can happen.
I had power issues all the time with my PreSonus board that took about 20 seconds to reboot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version