Author Topic: DL1608- 1 iPad wireless & 1 iPad Docked -recording  (Read 5471 times)

kallo90

• Youngling
DL1608- 1 iPad wireless & 1 iPad Docked -recording
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »
Hello,

I am new to this forum, pardon me if I am repeating the question. If you already see the link which
answers this situation please point me in the appropriate direction.

What I am trying to accomplish is as follows:
1. iPad which controls L/R  or house should be wireless, I know how to set that up
2. iPad connected to the DL1608/docked should record mixing.

Is this doable has any body done this kind of setting and please can you share the pros and cons
Earliest response will be much appreciated as we have some rehearsals coming soon and want to try this
if it works

Thank you.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
Re: DL1608- 1 iPad wireless & 1 iPad Docked -recording
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »
I do it regularly, and it works quite well. Just remember, it's a "board mix" and it won't sound quite like what you hear in the room because you're hearing everything in the room with your ears, while the mixer is only "hearing" what's mic'ed or plugged in to an input, and the mix may not be great because of that. For practice reference, though it's usually good enough. The only thing you'll have to deal with is starting and stopping the recording from the docked iPad.

Once you're done, there's the trick of getting the files off the iPad, but that's fairly well outlined out in the interwebs -- I found that pretty easily with a Google search.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
If u using mf3 then u can route the aux channels to the recording an create a different mix then the lr mix
Works better then the lr house mix

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 07:08:24 PM »
Ampli makes a good point. I'm still using Master Fader 2 dot something, as I'm trying to wait for My Fader 3 before upgrading. I'm hoping that tonight can be my last gig on MF2, but it's looking now like I'll have to do at least two more gigs with my current setup.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

kallo90

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 07:10:07 PM »
Thanks for the prompt responses from both you. I worked setup last night as gerenm63 was talking about. It's pretty cool feature I excited to show that to the team mates on the rehearsal. I agree though the on board mixing LR recording is not great but works well for practices.

Thanks Ampli for you suggestion I am not quite aware about that but will research on that a bit. I am new to this mixing world as well. I will appreciate if you can share some links which help speed my research

Lastly great help from both u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kallo90

• Youngling
DL1608- 1 iPad wireless & 1 iPad Docked -recording
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
My fader version 3.0.1 is it out for iPhones ?? I currently have MAster. Fader 3.0 on two iPads. I have my fader 2.1.1 app on my iPhone. I want to upgrade to my fader 3.0 so that I can sync with dl1608
But I do not know whether my fader 3.0 for iPhone is out

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:16:17 PM by kallo90 »

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 07:27:29 PM »
My Fader 3 is only in Beta at this point, as far as I know, and you have to have gotten "on the list" to get it. It may not even be out in Beta yet. I'm not quite ready to switch based on the beta. I'll wait for the real thing! :P
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »
Hello,

What I am trying to accomplish is as follows:
1. iPad which controls L/R  or house should be wireless, I know how to set that up
2. iPad connected to the DL1608/docked should record mixing.

Is this doable has any body done this kind of setting and please can you share the pros and cons
Earliest response will be much appreciated as we have some rehearsals coming soon and want to try this
if it works

Thank you.

G'day from Australia.

Yes using two iPads is perfectly doable, and I've done this ever since buying my DL simply because I already owned two iPads.
One stays docked all the time and is regularly used to record the gig for the band, and also used to play background music between sets.

The other iPad is what I use wirelessly. Very versatile.

The only tricky part is getting the recording off the docked iPad and uploading it to drop box (or wherever) so the band has access to it. Well not really "tricky", just a bit convoluted. Not as simple as the good old "record the front of house mix to a cassette tape" like the old days. :)

kallo90

• Youngling
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »
Thanks sir Krang I have been able to fetch the recordings from. ITunes just fine in past so I knew that part of the game. But I am glad to hear so encouraging responses about 2 iPad methodology. That is really comforting thank you. I am thinking on looking into the  what Ampli suggested Aux recording rather than LR

kallo90

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 07:48:36 PM »
I agree with gerenm63 I should had not rushed for the MF3 but being a newbie in this area there are always mistakes on the other hand it's a good learning never do what I did.  Anyways for some next show I will utilizes iPhone of the artists and might give them restricted monitor controls and take one thing off my plate so that I can concentrate more on the LR and what house hears but later some show not for the one this month

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 11:40:26 PM »
I think you will still need MF2 to do that but all is not lost, send to your FOH from an aux (or two for stereo) and record the mains to the docked iPad. With a well isolated set of headphones you can create a decent desk mix without disrupting the FOH that way.

kallo90

• Youngling
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 03:51:20 PM »
I keep experiencing the iPads going offline when I try to replace the snap shot is there something which I am missing I have always Have to go to setting and load show from DL1608

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »
I've found that when turning the mixer on, it seems best to just let the mixer fully boot in whatever configuration it was in when it was shut down.  If you need to use a different show, wait until it's settled and then load the show you want to use.  I honestly don't know that it has to work that way, but it seems happier.  (Can machines be happy?)  I also default to the mixer when wirelessly attaching an ipad. 

kallo90

• Youngling
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 05:40:17 PM »
I tried that but it was still doing the Same when I shift between snap shots. But here is work around recall a snap shot and go offline and reconnect with wired connection on docked iPad and On. wireleSs iPad do Same with wireless connection then it will allow to replace the active snap shot

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 04:51:39 AM »
We use this setup as normal anymore.  The only thing I would suggest is to use Voice Recorder Pro instead of the internal recorder.  Much easier to manage, can immediately replay recordings eg. No downloading via iTunes etc.

As someone else also mentioned the matrix in ver 3 allows us to dedicate an aux for recording.  It's still a board recording but we can set levels better than simply recording the LR output