Author Topic: Is there a video showing 30 pin to lightening conversion  (Read 6644 times)

Kev tyler

• Knight
Is there a video showing 30 pin to lightening conversion
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:18:52 AM »
hi guys

I can't find anything other than a black and white pdf from mackie , is there a video showing the process,

I am at a loss why someone has not figured a cheaper than 60 euro solution to this issue,

There are only four cables and a shied on a lightening cable, surely it would be a simple job to hard wire an old cable in to the multi pin on the Motherboard.

Cheers

Kev

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Is there a video showing 30 pin to lightening conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 10:25:58 AM »
If you don't need the lock just use an adaptor, I have one bought from PoundLand  8)

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:45:37 AM »
I use the apple cable, it works perfectly.
If I ever have to use an older iPad i still can.
I like that flexibility  :thu:
The older I get, the better I was!

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:30:35 PM »
Hi guys

I think we have had the take the iPad to the toilet discussion haven't we?

I want to lock it in permanently, and will buy two DLS soon as they have hit 499 on thomann,

I know there are 8 pins on the plug and possibly a chip, but I like to have a dabble now and then with my gear so I thought a bright spark would have eliminated the need for that 60 euro adaptor, and figured it out.

Cheers

Kev

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 01:03:25 AM »
Hi guys

I think we have had the take the iPad to the toilet discussion haven't we?

I want to lock it in permanently, and will buy two DLS soon as they have hit 499 on thomann,

I know there are 8 pins on the plug and possibly a chip, but I like to have a dabble now and then with my gear so I thought a bright spark would have eliminated the need for that 60 euro adaptor, and figured it out.

Cheers

Kev
Kev that's two cables from the DL to the paddle board and 11 (5+6) connections but who's counting. Details here.  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=464.msg3462#msg3462
That's the good news. Now for the other side of the coin. The paddle board is a source of problems. Who would tie chassis and signal ground together upstream connected to a RF source (iPad is a RF transmitter (WiFi and Bluetooth), possibly along with your body (as a receiver/transmitter) and send it thru DL's signal ground?. I believe this was covered ages ago when Rane and others were embarrassingly informed by Biil Whitlock (AES Chair on grounding techniques) that they needed to go back to college or learn the hard way (College of Hard Knocks ) about grounding techniques (pin one problem) on some of their equipment. Mackie seems to be the newest member of this once uninformed group. Rane and Co. fixed their problems quite a while ago. As long as you're aware of all the short comings up front and can live with them then good luck when the price is right. Hope all your iPads are current high speed versions. :)
When in doubt KISS

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 04:07:53 AM »
My hideously expensive lightning dock kit, and iPad mini tray should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday..fingers crossed..

I've already read and re-read the upgrade instructions and feel completely comfy with the process.

I wouldn't take a video of my upgrade, but I'm happy to take a few pics as I go if you'd like me to post them here for you? :)

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »
Hi wk154, 

Thanks for the advice,

I did have a feeling it might be a bit problematic hardwiring a trailing cable but was compelled to at least consider it, I have to be honest I have looked at your link but can't actually figure how that corresponds to the 11 connections on the two multi plugs on the adaptor, my first reaction is to wonder what's the difference ,,plugging a  2ft lightening to 30 pin adaptor cable in compared to 6 inches of a similar cable solderded straight to the board or multi pin connector, but I will accept your view that if  you are not totally up to speed with this stuff,  it should be avoided. It was just that I presumed there was little to that board other than 11 copper tracks, maybe something is hidden on the other side.?

120 euros ain't the end of the world, for a couple of adapters to be fair,  it's just that there does not look much to the adaptor, but it's still 140 euros cheaper than buying the Lightning version.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_dl_lightning_dock_service_kit.htm

Thanks  sir Krang,

Don't go to any trouble on my account mate, if you get time I would Like to see what's on the opposite side of the adaptor board shown in the link, quick piccy maybe?

Cheers

Kev
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:48:51 PM by Kev tyler »

gtrdudes

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »
Installing the kit is not hard. You have to use a small file to notch out part of the plastic where the new lightning connector fits. But if you haven't bought one yet, why wouldn't you just order the dl that already has the Lightning connector? 

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 02:52:27 PM »
Some places are selling the 30 pin DL for less money, and it you're going used there are a lot more 30 DLs out there.

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 05:16:12 AM »
Thanks  sir Krang,

Don't go to any trouble on my account mate, if you get time I would Like to see what's on the opposite side of the adaptor board shown in the link, quick piccy maybe?

No trouble at all...although I'm a really crappy photographer so please excuse any blurryness in these pics.

The whole process for dock upgrade, and iPad mini tray install was about 15 mins and was ultra simple.
Both items come packaged with comprehensive and easy to understand instruction sheets.

I didn't take pics of every single step simply because the whole job was so simple a child could do it :)

Cuppla pics of the differences in docks

Super simple multi pin cable connections. Simply wiggle off (gently) the old dock, and press em on the new dock.

The finished product. I can wander off to the dunny with relative confidence my iPad mini will still be bolted down when I get back :D

Kev tyler

• Knight
Re: Is there a video showing 30 pin to lightening conversion"
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 01:29:13 PM »
thanks guys

And thanks sir Krang for the piccy,

Stuff like this Sam I like to buy new, thomanns 3 years guarantee and the option to repair when that guarantee expires makes it a no brainer,

The reason I am looking for a tight ass solution is that the Lightning version on thomann is 200 euros more expensive than the 30 pin, and I think the adaptor which does not appear to have any components on it would be easy to circumvent, I hope that s the right word,  with a bit of cable?

I have to ask would it be possible to remove the old 30 pin socket from the bracket and tuck it inside the casing and then attach the 30 pin to Lightning cable  some of you guys use and still connect it and bolt the Dl in place.

I am am not a mean old man, but after the morning  I have had with the tax man, there is good reason for penny pinching.

Something like this ten dollars for example

http://www.igearusa.com/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-cable-for-iphone-6-6-plus-iphone-5-5s-and-ipad-4-5-mini/

Cheers

Kev
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:10:22 PM by Kev tyler »

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 02:08:22 PM »
Quote from: Kevin, who asks,
..would it be possible to remove the old 30 pin socket from the bracket and tuck it inside the casing and then attach the 30 pin to Lightning cable  some of you guys use and still connect it and bolt the Dl in place.

Without pulling mine apart again and trying this I don't know if there is enough space under the tray to fit the relatively bulky 30pin plug to the board, but yes the adapter lead could be routed up through the empty dock housing..although it would be a tight bend on the cable to orient the Lightning connector to the right angle for the iPad.
I personally wouldn't do it for the "tight bend" reason alone

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the time,

I think with a bit of faff, that might just work,

CHEERS

KEV

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the time,

I think with a bit of faff, that might just work,

CHEERS

KEV
That's a no-go Kev. If the DL mobo to paddle board cables were about an inch or two longer that might have been possible since the 30 pin has to be parallel with the side of the case to clear the hood of the add-on cable, sorry I sound like your tax man. Not enough space under the tray any other way.
When in doubt KISS

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »
Fair enough, wk, I guess if it worked people would have figured it long before me,

Buying two mixers has gone out of the window since the tax man peed on my bonfire today, so at 499 + 59 euros, it's not the end of the world.

Many thanks all of you

Kevin