Author Topic: anyone recording multitrack with DL32R ?  (Read 26950 times)

chrishooksbass

• Youngling
anyone recording multitrack with DL32R ?
« on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:11 PM »
anyone recording multitrack with DL32R ? if so, could you tell me your pros and cons of using the DL32R. Thanks!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: anyone recording multitrack with DL32R ?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 04:40:07 AM »
Hi Chris,
I have done two multitrack recordings with the DL32R, one with the USB hard drive, and one with my Mac laptop running Digital Performer.
Both produced great results, unfortunately though for me, when you record directly to the hard drive, the files on the drive are not individual mono wave files as expected.
Instead, they are multichannel wave files, and each wave file has 32 mono files in it, so a third party app like Wave Agent or better, RME WAV File Batch Processor will need
to be used to de-interleave the multichannel wave files. Of course if you record to a laptop or other computer, you would set up 32 individual mono channels.... far less hassel.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:03:36 AM by dpdan »

chrishooksbass

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 01:06:09 PM »
thanks so much for the thorough response,
 not much documentation of people using the DL32R as a recorder.
is there a time limit on recording (other than hdd capacity) ?
for instance a 24 track  recording using the usb to hdd method to record an hour  or  hour and half set, will the DL32R operate  smoothly?

how does the usb to computer interface work?
does your mac see the DL32R as a sound card?  does it allow easy patching from your daw?
i realize the dante card will add functionality to using the Dl32 as an interface, but i'm interested in the usb operation and can't seem to find anyone talking about it. plenty of info on lagging faders etc... but not much on the meat and potatoes of this mixer..

thanks again for the great info

/

pti

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »
I've been using the DL32R to record rehearsals and one show so far. Hard drive space seems to be the only limit on recording time, but the DL32R will create a new multitrack .WAV after every 2GB or so of recording (FAT16 max file size?). If you are recording quite a few tracks simultaneously, it can start a new file a few times during an hour set.

I am still looking for an efficient way of stitching things back together in Logic when this happens to get a contiguous recording. So far, I've been zooming in the timeline, repositioning, zooming in, repositioning, etc. until the transition between the two segments doesn't produce any audio glitches.

For rehearsals, I start and stop around each song, with each song resulting in one multi-track WAV file. I just drag those into Logic one after the other with a small gap.

FYI, Logic and Garageband handle the multitrack WAVs fine without need for a separate program to separate them into individual per-track WAVs.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »
Hi Chris,
there is no recording time limit other than the hard drive space.
The DL32R runs smooth with a four hour recording test and it was all there and clean.

Apple Preferences/sound

DL32R shows up and is available as an audio interface in Digital Performer.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:04:51 AM by dpdan »

chrishooksbass

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 06:34:51 PM »
fantastic info!
have you used it live with Digital Performer?
i'm curious about latency, as well as how well the iPad operates while using a daw .
i'm using logic pro x (live) to run lights,effect changes and sequences and would like to incorporate better effects by using plugins routed through the DL32R, the dante card should offer enhanced performance but ii wonder if the usb would offer suitable results.
i like the direct to usb recording feature, but with the new midas DL32 and M32C bring a fair amount to the table for a small amount more.
i really appreciate your depth of explanation.
Thank You,

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
Hi Chris,
the USB port on the DL32R will route audio from all 32 input channels live right into Logic,
it is in Logic where you would set up tracks to process various channels to (for instance) Altiverb or any other plug-in,
and then return those reverb outputs back into some channels on the DL32R.

The latency will be determined by the buffer setting in Logic, so, if you are using this for the purpose of reverb,
it would not be a big deal at all since we almost always want some pre-delay in the reverb anyway. 

One thing to remember though, as you raise and lower the vocal channel in Master Fader, the reverb level will not change,
because the USB output of the DL32R is pre-fader and mute. In the Master Fader routing screen, the USB output can be set to pre or post DSP. (EQ, compressiom and gating)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 07:46:44 PM »
pti,
first,, welcome to this forum!

thanks very much for your post, I did not see it until just now.
I did not know garageband handled multichannel wave files.
I am going to try that right now.
Then I could perhaps import the wav files into DP.

I did exactly what you did ,, zooming in and stitching the tracks together, not a big deal really, but it sure would be nice if
they were all sitting one right behind the next.

thanks,   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:31:51 PM by dpdan »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:21:48 PM »
just tried GarageBand and I dragged just one of the multichannel wave files into it and BAMB! it did it's thing,,,,
unfortunatley it converted all the imported 48 Khz. tracks to 44.1 and I want them to stay at 48 because I need the tracks to play nice in Final Cut Pro X.

pti, I thought you were on to something.. :(
BUMMER!

I am doing another test now to see if GarageBand stitches the files together.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:29:56 PM by dpdan »

pti

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 08:32:33 PM »
just tried GarageBand and I dragged just one of the multichannel wave files into it and BAMB! it did it's thing,,,,
unfortunatley it converted all the imported 48 Khz.tracks to 44.1 and I want them to stay at 48 because I need the tracks to play nice in Final Cut Pro X.

pti, I thought you were on to something.. :(
BUMMER!

I am doing another test now to see if GarageBand stitches the files together.

Ah, yes. Garageband does seem to be limited to 44.1kHz. I only used it with the DL32R once to provide a band who opened for us a multitrack of their show since they didn't have Logic. I've done everything else in Logic.

Logic Pro X does the splitting of the multitrack WAV like Garageband -and- will allow you to keep everything at 48 kHz if you have the project set to that sample rate. (It will also ask you on import if you want to change the sample rate to 48 kHz if it isn't there already.)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
welcome to the forum too! :)

I am disappointed that DP does not do this task and the engineers at MOTU (DP) are well aware of it now :)

Wintage

• Initiate
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 09:18:50 AM »
Recorded all 32 tracks for about 2 hours at a concert yesterday with Pro Tools. Worked flawlessly!

MrDOS

• Padawan
    • Weekend hobby site
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 05:19:36 PM »
Great thread!

I've been recording gigs twice a month since late December.  It's been working well for me. 
Once I bring the drive home, I split the Mulitchannel WAVs using Wave Agent (nice product!).
I try to stop & restart recording at least once during each set, so that there's not too many files to append.
I use WaveLab to combine, normalize and clean up each .WAV, then mix down using an ancient version of Cakewalk Sonar.

Equipment:
iPad Air 2
Apple AirPort Extreme Wireless Router 802.11ac
Western Digital 1 TB Passport USP hard drive

Live sound:
Ashly Protea 3.6SP
Crest & QSC Power Amps
Turbosound TXD speakers

Live sound/recording engineer, videographer at WoodlawnSound.com
SQL Server DBA
Bass Player

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
Hi MrDOS,
I just think it is way too much trouble and time to deal with these files which is why I just record using my laptop.
When I get back home, I open DP and there they are all ready to mix.

It is nice to be able to record with just a hard drive though.
Dan 

MrDOS

• Padawan
    • Weekend hobby site
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 06:09:03 PM »
I understand.  One of the things I like about the DL32R is that I have to bring (and tear down) less.  I play my break music off of the USB hard drive, too (I used to use a laptop for break music).

Back at the house, the process with the .WAVs is "semi-automated," so it doesn't take a whole lot of time. 
Live sound/recording engineer, videographer at WoodlawnSound.com
SQL Server DBA
Bass Player