Author Topic: anyone recording multitrack with DL32R ?  (Read 26949 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: anyone recording multitrack with DL32R ?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 06:10:56 PM »
I have to bring (and tear down) less.

Can I get an AMEN to that  :)

pti

• Youngling
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »
The direct-to-USB-drive recording was the key reason I went with the Mackie over the PreSonus RM32AI, which our occasional sound guy has. Since I perform as well as handle monitoring and recording, I don't want to have to deal with a laptop. I also don't want to have my expensive Retina MacBook Pro sitting unattended at a bar. With the Mackie, I can start the recording right from my iPad on stage.

I do, however, really wish the maximum file size was increased to something well above 2GB to reduce the amount of stitching I have to do for long recordings. The manual implies this is due to limitations of some recording software. If some packages -do- handle larger files, though, the max size should be configurable to save the people with those packages the hassle of reassembling the recordings.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »
well said, and I agree about the laptop sitting next to the DL32R unattended.

cigame

• Youngling
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »
I am still looking for an efficient way of stitching things back together in Logic when this happens to get a contiguous recording. So far, I've been zooming in the timeline, repositioning, zooming in, repositioning, etc. until the transition between the two segments doesn't produce any audio glitches.

For rehearsals, I start and stop around each song, with each song resulting in one multi-track WAV file. I just drag those into Logic one after the other with a small gap.

FYI, Logic and Garageband handle the multitrack WAVs fine without need for a separate program to separate them into individual per-track WAVs.
Check out the "move" drop down menu in arrange window. Use overlap when drag and drop multichannel files. than change to "adjust right" and grab your new regions. They will automatically join with the previous regions.
Maybe I did not use the right words. I'm running LOGIC in german language.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:00:04 PM by cigame »

pti

• Youngling
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 07:36:05 PM »
Check out the "move" drop down menu in arrange window. Use overlap when drag and drop multichannel files. than change to "adjust right" and grab your new regions. They will automatically join with the previous regions.

Thank you! Yes, the words are a little different in the English version, but you got me on the right track. This will save me a lot of time.

I got it to work using the "Drag:" pulldown menu at the top of the window. I set it to "Shuffle R", then drag the later region over the end of the prior region and when I let go, the later region snaps into place at the end of the prior region.

I don't really understand why they used the word "Shuffle." "Align" would seem more appropriate.

Anyway, from the manual, for anyone else who runs into this:
Shuffle R: Aligns regions when you move, resize, or delete them, in the following ways:

Move: Moving a region to the right aligns the end point of the region with the start point of the region that follows, so there is no space (gap) between them.

Resize: When you resize the left edge of a region, the preceding regions move by the change in length. If this causes preceding regions to move past the start of the project, the resized region then overlaps the preceding ones by the corresponding amount.

Delete: The remaining regions on the track move by the length of the deleted region.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »
I've had a similar issue with video MTS files being split into 2GB chunks and I use a free MTS joiner program. Is there really no free WAV joiner available?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 08:04:13 PM »
I am still looking for an efficient way of stitching things back together in Logic when this happens to get a contiguous recording. So far, I've been zooming in the timeline, repositioning, zooming in, repositioning, etc. until the transition between the two segments doesn't produce any audio glitches.

For rehearsals, I start and stop around each song, with each song resulting in one multi-track WAV file. I just drag those into Logic one after the other with a small gap.

FYI, Logic and Garageband handle the multitrack WAVs fine without need for a separate program to separate them into individual per-track WAVs.
Können Sie bitte ihren profile ändern so das wir wissen whoher sie sind. Danke. Ihre antworten sind sehr gut.
Great solutions and most will get you were you need to be even in another language.
When in doubt KISS

chrishooksbass

• Youngling
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 08:41:54 PM »
very encouraging! i like the simple ability to record to a hard disc no muss no fuss, everyone please list any quirks ,hiccups, etc... that you have had and any unforeseen obstacles that have presented themselves.
thanks for all the useful info.

MrDOS

• Padawan
    • Weekend hobby site
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »
The only obstacle I have run into is that to start a multitrack recording, you must create a name first.  If you hit record with the default name, it stops immediately.  Because I did not notice this, I missed part of a set the 2nd night I recorded.  For the rest of the night, subsequent recordings are automatically named _2, _3, etc., which is convenient.

I have seen no dropouts or other reliability nasties.
Live sound/recording engineer, videographer at WoodlawnSound.com
SQL Server DBA
Bass Player

chrishooksbass

• Youngling
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »
thanks again for all the help!
the comments led me to purchase one and i'm looking forward to rolling it out tomorrow night.

Soundbyte

• Padawan
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 08:03:14 PM »
The Mackie Users Guide mentions Protools. And if you don't have a DAW that will handle it, they recommend WAVE AGENT. It is a wav file utility for Windows & Mac

MrDOS

• Padawan
    • Weekend hobby site
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »
I use WaveAgent (Beta), and it's been easy to learn and use to split up the multi-wavs.
I mixdown in Cakewalk
SQL Server DBA
Bass Player

wkndwarrior

• Youngling
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 10:11:28 PM »
I use WaveAgent (Beta), and it's been easy to learn and use to split up the multi-wavs.
I mixdown in Cakewalk

I've been struggling to get two full shows I recorded on my DL32R somehow mixed down to a useable format, with no luck so far. Based on what I'm reading here, the recorded WAV files off my USB hard drive have to be deconstructed, which I think I have been able to do using the Split function in Wave Agent. I also downloaded the trial version of WaveLab Elements, but when I try to import the split files from Wave Agent into WaveLab, it tell me they are an unusable format. I can't quite figure out how to get these files processed into a file I can actually play and hear. I'm probably missing something, but I can't figure out the sequence of how to go from the hard drive files into a finished product. Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks in advance!

MrDOS

• Padawan
    • Weekend hobby site
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 10:28:30 PM »
Are the results of the split in .WAV format?  When you double-click (assuming Windows), do they play in Media Player?
SQL Server DBA
Bass Player

wkndwarrior

• Youngling
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 10:49:09 PM »
Are the results of the split in .WAV format?  When you double-click (assuming Windows), do they play in Media Player?

Yes, the file folder I created for them contains the whole list of wave files, and when I click on an individual track, it does play in Media Player, and it is only that specific instrument/voice. I am able to import a singe mono file/track into WaveLab, but it does not show any waveform or play. Not sure what I am doing wrong.