Author Topic: DL1608 has 7 aux sends........  (Read 4522 times)

musicdan

• Padawan
DL1608 has 7 aux sends........
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »
I'm sure someone has done this already but for anyone needing to squeeze an extra aux send out of the DL1608 here's the way to do it.

- You'll have to sacrifice either reverb or delay. (I chose reverb)

- mute the reverb channel on the main mix screen (or move fader all the way down)
- go to the reverb send screen and create a monitor/aux mix
- Solo the reverb from the reverb send screen (to send it to the headphone jack)
- plug your favourite in ear monitors or floor wedge in to the headphones jack and you're good to go.

considerations:
- Because you're soloing the reverb send and muting the return, there will be dry audio sent to the headphone jack (effect is not heard).

- the headphones jack is a stereo output. You'll want to use a TS cable here. TRS into a balanced input (wedge or power amp) will result in you only hearing the difference between the L and R channel. I will sound like dog poo. If you're stuck with a TRS you can get around this by plugging the jack in half way.

- I'm reminding you to start off with the headphone volume knob all the way down and then turn up slowly. Try not to overdrive the input of the gear you're plugging into. This is 100% safe to do if you use common sense!

- If you plan on a cable run going more than 15 or 20 feet from the board you may want to use a DI box if running into a powered source such as a monitor, delay stack, headphone amp or power amp. If only using headphones, you can go as far as you like (probably several hundred feet or more).

-I came up with this one day when I was thinking about how analog boards run and how many times you end up using the FX out as a monitor mix. Same thing applies here, however, the effects channels on the DL1608 can be set pre-fader which a lot of boards can't do.

-I've been running this way for about 10 shows and it works great. It frees up an aux to be used as a delay stack send or any other use you can come up with.

-I hope my explanation is clear. Many of you will know exactly what I'm getting at with this but for some users who may be a little green when it comes to signal routing, feel free to ask as many questions as you like and i'll try to clarify.

happy mixing!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:32:04 AM by musicdan »
DL1608

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: DL1608 has 7 aux sends........
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:35:08 PM »
ingenious   :D

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:37:23 PM »
Well, whaddaya know! Huh!  :)
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:32:58 AM »
definitely think out out of the box, very clever !
Your never to old to learn something stupid

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:45:29 PM »
good Dan!

I have plenty of mixes with the DL32R  :lol:
but a friend will be thrilled when I tell him about your idea for his 1608.

I am proud of you!

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 01:46:24 AM »
- If you plan on a cable run going more than 15 or 20 feet from the board you may want to use a DI box if running into a powered source such as a monitor, delay stack, headphone amp or power amp. If only using headphones, you can go as far as you like (probably several hundred feet or more).

Rather than a DI, I'd recommend a line level isolation transformer like the Whirlwind ISO1. This will not cause the big drop in signal level that a DI will and it will balance the signal along with the ability to lift pin 1 for ground loops. I've tried to use DIs before in a pinch to drive remote speakers and due to the weakened signal from the inherent level drop, you wind up having to overdrive the DI input and/or crank up the gain on the receiving end which has a tendency to boost the noise in the line.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!