Author Topic: DL32R Rigs  (Read 2859 times)

pti

• Youngling
DL32R Rigs
« on: February 12, 2015, 12:20:39 AM »
As capable as the DL32R is, it still needs equipment around it in most real-world situations.

Post pictures or descriptions of your DL32R rig in this topic and describe how you are using it.

Wynnd

• Master
Re: DL32R Rigs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 12:46:38 AM »
This is an older photo of my mixing stack.  It's changed a bit since, so I'll post an update next week.

pti

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 01:10:01 AM »
Here's my current rig (photos of front and back should be attached):

Mixing/Recording
Mackie DL32R
Toshiba 1TB USB3 portable drive

Splitting
2 x ART S8 2-way Mic Splitters
1 x ART S8 3-way Mic Splitter
16 x 1.5' XLR cables to connect S8 2-way split outputs to DL32R inputs 1-16
8 x 3' XLR cables to connect S8 3-way split outputs to DL32R inputs 17-24
2 x 6.6' Hosa 8xXLR snakes to provide S8 2-way Direct outs to house

Networking
Apple Airport Express (provides WiFi to iOS clients)
TP-LINK TL-WR702N (provides LAN connection to Airport Express)
2 x 6" ethernet cables to connect DL32R to Airport and Airport to TP-LINK
1 x 6" USB mini cable to power TP-LINK
1 x Hosa 3.5mm TRS-to-dual 1/4" TS to connect Airport audio to DL32R inputs 25-26 (for Airplay)

Talkback
Shure SM48 mic
1 x 15' XLR to connect talkback mic to DL32R channel 32

Utility/Power
SKB 6U Roto Rack
1U rack shelf (for storing rolled up snakes and talkback)
clip-on LED lamp
Belkin Mini Surge Protector (3 outlets + 2 USB)
Apple Lightning Cable (to keep iPad charged)
Tripp Lite Standard Computer Power Cord 10A, 18AWG (IEC-320-C14 to NEMA 5-15R) 1-ft. (convert Belkin inward-facing plug to rear-facing IEC)
Colorful Circles Mini Stickers Value Pack, Multi Color (4743)

Everything listed above stays wired permanently for easy setup at gigs. The Direct splits from the ART S8s go to the house and the transformer-isolated splits go to the DL32R for recording and for building monitor mixes.

It's actually set up for two different bands, one with seven members and 17 or 18 channels, one with four members using ten channels. Auxes 1-7 are for the first band's monitors and Auxes 8-11 are for the second band. (Since the two bands share the bill often, I don't want to use separate Shows since that would entail duplicating the effort of sound-checking and setting levels for shared things like the drum mics and my own keyboard and vocal mic.)

Players' channels are color-coded with dots (guitarist=yellow, vox/key=red, keys=blue, etc.) to assist them with plugging in. The dot color-coding for the physical cabling carries over to the Show setup on the DL32R to assist in everyone's monitor self-mixing.

Positives: It's plug-and-play for everyone, including the soundman.
Negatives: It's heavy and was not cheap to assemble.

I'd love to see a version of the DL32R with the Direct outs built in. It would save a lot of weight and space, between the splitters and cables. Can you get on that, beno?

- Patrick
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:10:23 AM by pti »

pti

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 01:49:51 PM »
This is an older photo of my mixing stack.  It's changed a bit since, so I'll post an update next week.

Is that two Shure PSM transmitters on the top and two DriveRacks in the spaces below? Why two DriveRacks? Are you using one for monitors?

I considered adding a DriveRack PX to my rig, but since I will very seldom be driving the mains from the DL32R, I decided to save the weight in an already heavy rack.

If I could get the one band down to 16 channels from 17-18, I could remove one of the 8x splitters and the 8 associated XLRs, which would make space for a rear-facing DriveRack...

I hope others will post. I learn a lot from seeing what other people have assembled.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:41:34 PM »
Those are two wireless mic receivers.  There is now an IEM transmitter in the stack too.  I have one more wireless mic receiver to find a place for.  (you'll understand why it's not in there yet when you see the current configuration.) 

Driverack PX and PA.  I used the DRPA for tri-amp and bi-amp FOH speaker configurations.  (Need to sell the large ones.  Don't use them anymore.) It seems to have better anti-feedback than the PX units.  I was using the PRPX for monitors originally.  Now one is setup for my ZXA1 powered speakers that I'm generally using for FOH purposes.  There are also 2 stereo power amps in the rack that I use for unpowered monitors.  (I really have too many speakers.  Need to thin the stock out.)