Author Topic: All but eliminated the disconnect issue - fingers crossed  (Read 6973 times)

robmcl

• Padawan
All but eliminated the disconnect issue - fingers crossed
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »
Like many here I've seen the disconnect/reconnect happen many times.  Sometimes it's many times within a 1hour set.  It would happen in both wifi and docked mode...didn't seem to make a difference.  Thankfully for the most part, the ipad will reconnect within a few seconds (only seems like eternity in the midst of the gig).  Today I decided to manually reset the DL and allow a firmware re-install.  I've had the DL in operation since MF1.x

For background - dlink 2.4 router
- DL about 1.5yr old and never factory reset manually
- iPad3/30pin running iOS7
- iPhone4 running iOS8.1.3 and beta ver of MyFader3 (but that's all I can say about that <grin>)

Process - dock the iPad and reboot (complete power down and back up, not just sleep mode)
- launch MF3.0.2
- power on the DL while holding the reset button for 15sec +/- (this is the factory reset)
- allow the iPad to update the firmware
- re-open your latest show / snapshot

I've now had the ipad running 2 hrs docked with iphone connected wifi, then 2 hrs with both ipad and iphone via wifi... not a single disconnect !!  Couldn't resist sharing this.   Hope it helps someone else.

Wynnd

• Master
Re: All but eliminated the disconnect issue - fingers crossed
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »
Thanks for reporting.  I've had that happen once at rehearsal.  Think I just rebooted my ipad.  Being it was rehearsal, not much of a problem. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 04:58:27 AM »
I really don't think we need another Sync thread, it's been beat to death. Check here    http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=498.msg3796#msg3796
It's a Mackie problem they haven't been able to solve in over two years. :o
When in doubt KISS

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:27:32 AM »
Interestingly, I did a charity gig on Friday night with five acts though the evening. I ran my usual set up and there was 150+ people there. The only thing that had changed was the update to iOS since my previous gig and I don't think I experienced a re-sync all night except when I turned the iPad on and off or swapped between apps. Typically, I experience it 3 - 4 times over Wi-Fi in a typical 2 hour gig.

Just to note, I hadn't updated to the latest release of Mackie MF, I was still running 3.0.1.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 02:29:32 PM »
I haven't seen a reason to not upgrade from MF 3.0.1 to the current version.  Everyone (except keyboard magic) has reported it a positive improvement. and even Keyboard Magic hasn't reported it to be any worse than before.  Note this doesn't apply to people still running MF 2.1.1 and people who need My Fader because My Fader 3.0.2 isn't out yet.  Ben said it's coming soon.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
I haven't seen a reason to not upgrade from MF 3.0.1 to the current version.  Everyone (except keyboard magic) has reported it a positive improvement. and even Keyboard Magic hasn't reported it to be any worse than before.  Note this doesn't apply to people still running MF 2.1.1 and people who need My Fader because My Fader 3.0.2 isn't out yet.  Ben said it's coming soon.

Hi Wynnd,

That's for sure and believe it or not I have never experienced loss of sync on any versions of MF.  ;) Go figure!  :lol:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »

Hi Wynnd,

That's for sure and believe it or not I have never experienced loss of sync on any versions of MF.  ;) Go figure!  :lol:

You're just showing off now  ;)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 04:34:21 PM »
Last night, I was mixing on a DL1608 for a band that has all their own gear.
I sat right next to the DL1608 which was next to the stage using the guitarist's iPad to roam and mix.
The docked iPad lost and resynced many many times in the period of theee hours,
ironically, the iPad in my lap running wirelessly with an Apple Airport Express never lost sync once.

Go figure, the docked iPad was the flakey one  :(

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 04:50:47 PM »
I really don't think we need another Sync thread, it's been beat to death. Check here    http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=498.msg3796#msg3796

Wow...pardon me.
I did see the quoted thread but noted that after 15 pages that discussion was no closer to a solution.   Guess my excitement got the best of me.
Signing off now

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »

Hi Wynnd,

You're just showing off now  ;)

Never  :angel:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 06:02:41 PM »
Last night, I was mixing on a DL1608 for a band that has all their own gear.
I sat right next to the DL1608 which was next to the stage using the guitarist's iPad to roam and mix.
The docked iPad lost and resynced many many times in the period of theee hours,
ironically, the iPad in my lap running wirelessly with an Apple Airport Express never lost sync once.

Go figure, the docked iPad was the flakey one  :(

It was your lap that did the trick.   ;) Have to remember that one just in case. :)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 06:45:54 PM »

Wow...pardon me.
I did see the quoted thread but noted that after 15 pages that discussion was no closer to a solution.   Guess my excitement got the best of me.
Signing off now
You're pardoned  ;). If you've read the 15pgs. and the 3 or 4 other threads on the subject you would have seen your hoped for solution several times, even I declared it solved after a week not 4 hrs only to have it bite me in the butt the following day. Welcome to the optimists club. There are only 2 solution paths to this, one is obviously to fix the defective software and the other would be to eliminate the hardware trigger that set this in motion. Both have Mackie written all over it for a solution.
P.S. The third solution is obvious.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »
dpdan - note that it has been reported that the charging power supply for a docked ipad is marginal and if your ipad is in need of a charge, you might experience several undesired behaviors.  Since that was reported, I make sure my docked ipad 2 is fully charged first.  No problems since.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »
the docked iPad was charged 100% and was fully charged and read 100% when the gig started.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 10:20:02 PM »
Glad you were that aware.  Indicates that you are a through observer.  (Definitely better than I am.)  We need more users like you catching every characteristic of any quirks.  Glad you're here.