Author Topic: My First Impressions with MF 3.X and the DL1608. If You're Interested?  (Read 11196 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: My First Impressions with MF 3.X and the DL1608. If You're Interested?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »
I guess the moral of the story is to always be prepared for the worst.
Know how to do a quick reboot and don't go into a panic mode.
Just like other systems there can be glitches that can happen.
I had power issues all the time with my PreSonus board that took about 20 seconds to reboot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100%  :thu: :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 03:50:18 PM »
That was my number one reason for buying a second ipad.  I did have my iphone, but until My Fader 3.x is released, that isn't helping.  Doing a wedding reception this evening.  (providing sound for one of the Colorado Springs jazz sax talents.  Tony Exum Jr.  Music will be great.)  Will be carrying my Alesis Multimix 16 firewire as a backup.  So far, I've never needed to use a backup since I started using the DL1608. (Or the MixWiz before it.)  But people keep reminding me that it's always a good idea to have backups for critical systems.  (Hadn't thought about it, but by carrying two keyboards, there is a default backup if one fails.) 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »
That was my number one reason for buying a second ipad.  I did have my iphone, but until My Fader 3.x is released, that isn't helping.  Doing a wedding reception this evening.  (providing sound for one of the Colorado Springs jazz sax talents.  Tony Exum Jr.  Music will be great.)  Will be carrying my Alesis Multimix 16 firewire as a backup.  So far, I've never needed to use a backup since I started using the DL1608. (Or the MixWiz before it.)  But people keep reminding me that it's always a good idea to have backups for critical systems.  (Hadn't thought about it, but by carrying two keyboards, there is a default backup if one fails.)

You’re right on there. Never needed a backup with this particular DL, but like you, I carry the ZED 10 into the gig. Maybe it gives off positive energy that the DL picks up? Or the Force?  :angel:  Whatever, it works and I’d bet dollars to donuts that if I didn’t bring the backup, the DL would act up.  :laugh:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 05:53:07 AM »
Didn't use any of my backup equipment.  Only used two of my monitors.  (Brought 5 monitors.)   Like all my previous work with Tony Exum Jr, it was delightful.  What a great bunch of musicians and people.  (And I've always liked Wedding Receptions.)  A bit loud for my personal taste.  (105 dbc on the far side of the dance floor.)  Spent most of the night across the dance floor mixing from my mini-ipad.  (kept turning down the back lighting.) 

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
Didn't use any of my backup equipment.  Only used two of my monitors.  (Brought 5 monitors.)   Like all my previous work with Tony Exum Jr, it was delightful.  What a great bunch of musicians and people.  (And I've always liked Wedding Receptions.)  A bit loud for my personal taste.  (105 dbc on the far side of the dance floor.)  Spent most of the night across the dance floor mixing from my mini-ipad.  (kept turning down the back lighting.)

105 dbc isn't that pretty loud for a jazz band? I am certainly no expert on db levels but I've started to pay more attention to them lately. Last week I did a rock band that in my opinion was way too loud - they were about 100 dba (average). The room probably made it worse - lots of hard reflective surfaces (the only carpet in the room was under the drummers kit).

Maybe my iPhone app is not the best for this.   Wynn what are you using to measure with and any reason why you chose dbc?

Cheers

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 02:23:06 PM »
I had power issues all the time with my PreSonus board that took about 20 seconds to reboot.

Quite right about always being prepared.
One of the most maligned features of the DL are the manual gain pots, truth be told, I find them useful for gigs with no iPad! Only kidding, over the past two years of ownership, being able to grab the pots during a gig has been useful , especially when iPads couldn't connect. The girl in the band isn't afraid to give my knob a turn if I'm not singing loud enough. A very user friendly technique. 
Power problems with my Presonus 16.4.2 made me dump it for the DL. It used to give me the occasional shock, great for waking me up👍😉
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:27:24 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 02:28:10 PM »
As a bassist and keyboard player, I've found the overemphasis of bass to be a bad move in general.  Knowing that people don't hear things exactly the same, I find too much bass to intrude on the midrange instruments.  I also find too deep a bass tone to become too indistinct to still seem like music.  That is my reason for using DBC.  I did check DBA a couple of times last night too.  That was about 100.  Yes, I find that a bit loud for jazz.  Note that I was about 40 feet in front of the band.  Room was nicely dead but the dance floor was bare and the right wall was glass with a deck on the other side.  (Nice view, 3rd floor.)   And I have Audio Tools app in my iphone with the internal mic.  That's pretty close to accurate to about 115 dbc.  (Also has a RTA) 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »

Quite right about always being prepared.
One of the most maligned features of the DL are the manual gain pots, truth be told, I find them useful for gigs with no iPad! Only kidding, over the past two years of ownership, being able to grab the pots during a gig has been useful , especially when iPads couldn't connect. The girl in the band isn't afraid to give my knob a turn if I'm not singing loud enough. A very user friendly technique. 
Power problems with my Presonus 16.4.2 made me dump it for the DL. It used to give me the occasional shock, great for waking me up👍😉

"The girl in the band isn't afraid to give my knob a turn if I'm not singing loud enough. A very user friendly technique."  At least there's one lady in the band. All the bands I played in were all guys.  :(

Getting back on track... Like you mentioned the manual gains work just fine and can get you out of a small problem now and then. It was the lure of digital trim that kept crooking it's finger at me to give 3.X a go. Sure, they don't replace recallable gains, but I think they could be helpful when you can't run back to the mixer. I'm still an OLD fashioned fader jockey from way back at heart though. Hell I still prefer analog gauges in my vehicles. When I buy a new vehicle I always look to make sure it has at least a tachometer and Temp gauges.  :)

I had, a long time ago a Traynor (now Yorkville Sound) all tube/valve amp head with spring reverb and a bad habit of giving me a nice AC buzz everytime I touched the back of the chassis. Thank goodness all controls and switches were on the front panel.  :lol:

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 12:46:37 AM »
Wynnd..glad you gig went off with no unforeseen problems. I think I'm just the eternal worrier that always plans on the worst thing happening.
I think KM hit,it on the head with the positive energy spin.. If I only carried what was needed I could eliminate the van which my wife refers to as the mobile storage locker.
We all have about 100 wires we carry that never leave the boxes, along with added boards power amps, monitors it's no wonder the music stores love us.
 Luckily no gigs this week, but 2 next week with 2 new bands, so I will have a chance to pre-write the program and make up the wiring charts.  Do any of you use or know a good app for making wiring charts that are editable ?

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 01:26:36 AM »
Wynnd..glad you gig went off with no unforeseen problems. I think I'm just the eternal worrier that always plans on the worst thing happening.
I think KM hit,it on the head with the positive energy spin.. If I only carried what was needed I could eliminate the van which my wife refers to as the mobile storage locker.
We all have about 100 wires we carry that never leave the boxes, along with added boards power amps, monitors it's no wonder the music stores love us.
 Luckily no gigs this week, but 2 next week with 2 new bands, so I will have a chance to pre-write the program and make up the wiring charts.  Do any of you use or know a good app for making wiring charts that are editable ?

Hi Rdmitch,

Thanks about the positive spin  :thu: I still do overkill with wires and audio patch cables, ie: 4 mic gig and I bring the whole box of mic cables, about 20.  ::) Either I may need a backup or just don't want to empty the box to actually take what I need plus 1 or 2 backups. :facepalm: Then I walk into my local music store and the first place I go to look at are mic and patch cables to see of there's new toys, oiy. We all do it I'm afraid, whether we have the money to buy and the space to carry it.  ;)

I don't know of an app for creating wiring charts and I'm interested too. What's the phrase today? "There's an app for that" ??  :)

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 01:38:26 AM »
I have tried the writing apps like INKredible and they do work but its hard to draw straight lines and thin enough lines to represent wires.  The stylus pens are to temperamental. I guess I could do the diagram on paper then take a picture and save the picture.  Just thought an app might be floating out there.

Also..there are tons of free apps with DB meters and room EQ meters that help get some room levels. Plus they look cool on the iPad
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 02:10:23 AM »
We need an app to help us find those hard to find apps!  :laugh: Those free apps are really cool, but some annoy you with ads at the wrong moments sometimes. Still cool though and enough to help you decide if you want to buy the full versions.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:13:26 AM by Keyboard Magic »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 11:51:26 PM »
If anyone is interested, here's a hopefully not overly long update as of today. (no pun intended)  ;)

First gig with the 1608 and MF 3.0.1. (Elementary School Dance) Right out of the gate, there was a significant change in the Vintage high EQ (treble) on my audio playback channels 15 & 16 linked. It was very noticeable from my powered speakers. I actually had to roll of the high end by about -3 dB as opposed to MF 2.X where the high EQ was fine at center. Not a big deal since I was able to compensate for it. I wasn’t aware of the new update, 3.0.2 as of my gig. I’ve now updated and will test it next chance I get with my sound system to see if the patch has made a difference.

Everything else worked as expected, except the touch response on the Vintage EQ Page. To make the virtual EQ knobs turn I had to repeatedly touch/press the screen to make them turn. Could’ve been my sticky fingers, stylus, atmospheric conditions, :o dry air or my iPad screen (which was clean when I started the dance), but there was never an issue of this kind with MF 2.X. Maybe both issues are somehow related in a weird sort of way. Like I mentioned above, maybe the updated patch will do the trick?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:42:28 AM by Keyboard Magic »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2015, 12:44:18 AM »
Has anyone noticed that the text doesn’t always scroll on the scribble strips on a regular cycle under MF 3.0.2? Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. To make them start scrolling again, I have to send MF to the background, then call it up again. Is this normal? I don’t remember this occurring under MF 2.X