Author Topic: New Hope for Apple  (Read 15436 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: New Hope for Apple
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 01:50:07 AM »
Unfortunately if iOS9 doesn't run on the iPad2 and/or mini we're gonna have to hope that Mackie's apps will continue to support iOS8 ...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 03:19:03 AM »
Unfortunately if iOS9 doesn't run on the iPad2 and/or mini we're gonna have to hope that Mackie's apps will continue to support iOS8 ...
A cleanup shouldn't impact the device selection one would hope. A7 may be at EOL which would impact the mini unless they come out with Mini 4 using A8. Of course if they implement real multitasking it won't be a kleen-up but a real mess instead.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:24:02 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 03:51:05 AM »
What worries me is that the Mackie Master Fader app require iOS 7 or better but the Behringer iPad apps work fine on iOS 6 . Even worse, Mackie My Fader will require iOS 7 also (I think?) and Behringer's iPhone apps work on iOS 5! It may someday become cheaper for me to buy an XR18 rather than replace all my iOS devices with ones that are compatible with the latest MF's . I think I'm already SOL on my iPod Touch 4 - but I haven't been using it anyways as My Fader doesn't support the pans on a stereo monitor feed (yet :) ?) like Behringer does :( .
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:53:36 AM by RoadRanger »

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 03:57:46 AM »
What worries me is that the Mackie Master Fader app require iOS 7 or better but the Behringer iPad apps work fine on iOS 6 . :( .

Let us not forget that the iPad 1 running iOS5.XX  & MasterFader 2.XX was what many a DL1608/806 users may have used and is still functional. If it ain`t broke ....

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
In the beginning Nokia created the mobile phone (well no they didn't but I had to use a company i was familiar with LOL)

I bought and used more of these early mobile/cell phones than I've had hot dinners (yes another exaggeration)

Each phone I bought came with more features, but also with more and more buggy instabilities no matter what brand.
Frustrating things to use for anything more than simple phone calls and texts.

I was NEVER interested in anything made by apple, until my teenage daughter asked for an iPod for her birthday.
So I did some researching and finally went to a shop that I could try out the different iPods.
One of them was an iPod touch with just released iOS 2.
I was instantly hooked and bought it for myself, and another iPod for Sarah. The one she wanted.

That was quite a few years ago and that single apple purchase completely changed my view of not only Apple products but also lead to my my complete and utter disgust of any "operating system" that wasn't iOS.

I'm a simple average joe who just wants stuff to work easily without fuss and frustration.
Yes you could call me an apple fan boy but I'm ok with that simply due to personal incredibly happy experience with 5 iPhones, 4 iPads, 3 iPods, and 3 MacBooks all stemming from that original iPod touch purchase.

Yes there have been software bugs along the way. But is there any operating system in existence that has a clean record from bugs?

I'm 100% sure none of these companies like Apple or Mackie enjoy having buggy software in the end users hands. It just seems like it takes longer for some to get them sorted.

And FYI the only bug I've had across five iOS8 devices has been the very occasional one where multitasking gestures stop working.
It's fixed now with iOS 8.1.3

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »
I've never been much of an Apple person. My iPad Air 2 that I now own, I bought just to use with the DL32R. Of course, since I don't use it for other purposes, I haven't seen any bugs. In fact, it has worked flawlessly so far. I don't know what iOS 9 will bring, but I hope it doesn't come with a huge learning curve.
Mackie Junkie

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 05:09:27 PM »
I don't know what iOS 9 will bring, but I hope it doesn't come with a huge learning curve.

A "huge learning curve" is something I've Never had with apple. So simple my technology illiterate father can use it without any learning at all :)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 06:12:48 PM »
A "huge learning curve" is something I've Never had with apple. So simple my technology illiterate father can use it without any learning at all :)
That's great news. I appreciate your input.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:18:25 PM »
Was reading the ios 9.x was likely to be a clean up the bugs and make ios 8 work better upgrade.  If that holds true, there won't be much difference except how well it works.  That did happen with OS X Snow Leopard.  Mostly a clean up.   Features can frequently be over rated.   That is one reason the original ipod was sooooo good.  Simple, easy to use and very few features.  (Did anyone really need a bottle opener built into their MP3 player?   Actually, I have a flash drive with a bottle opener built in.)   There might be a move on aspect to it.  (One of the few things I don't like about Apple policies.) 

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 09:25:59 PM »
Everyone needs a USB drive with a bottle opener built into it. ::)

Better yet, I want mine with a wine opener. :thu:
Mackie Junkie

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 09:29:10 PM »
I never owner Apple products until our company reissued phones to all mgmt. they picked the iPhone and I actually learned it fast and enjoyed it.  When I went to the DL I had no option but to spring for the ipad and found it was so nice to use for other stuff, I rarely fire up the desktop anymore.
Many iPods,pads,phones have gone through my fingers over the last few years and I can't say anything bad
about the product or support.   
When I do replace the desktop, it will be with a Mac.

As far as using the iPod strictly for the DL, if you only own the 1 ,to me that is kind of a waste as there is so many things you can do with it
other than the mackie app. Expensive toy for a single function.  I do have my older ipad2 which I leave locked onto the DL  and I keep the iPad air for the remote since that's what I use the most.
I like the insurance in the event I walk out without my iPad at least I have the locked down one to use.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 09:31:36 PM »
Everyone needs a USB drive with a bottle opener built into it. ::)

Better yet, I want mine with a wine opener. :thu:

I want my USB drive with a mixer attached to it.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:30 PM »
As far as using the iPod strictly for the DL, if you only own the 1 ,to me that is kind of a waste as there is so many things you can do with it
other than the mackie app. Expensive toy for a single function.
Yes, I agree, but I already have an Android tablet, and have all the apps I need on that. I'm sure that, over time, I'll do more with the iPad Air. But, I figure that I spent $2K on the DL32R, and $500 on the iPad. So I got a complete mixer for $2500. That's pretty cheap consider that 5 years ago, a cheap digital mixer sold for 6 or 7,000 (I'm thinking of the Mackie TT24). And it didn't do near as much as the DL32R.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »
It's refreshing to hear someone appreciate things as they are now compared with not that many years ago.  Much better than the whining that it's not perfect so it's worthless.  (While not perfect is to be expected from every manufacturer, the whining is just tiring.)