Author Topic: New Hope for Apple  (Read 15392 times)

Michael Welter

• Knight
Re: New Hope for Apple
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »
I agree. I prefer wine, rather than whine.
Mackie Junkie

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 12:29:29 AM »
As far as using the iPod strictly for the DL, if you only own the 1 ,to me that is kind of a waste as there is so many things you can do with it
other than the mackie app. Expensive toy for a single function.
Yes, I agree, but I already have an Android tablet, and have all the apps I need on that. I'm sure that, over time, I'll do more with the iPad Air. But, I figure that I spent $2K on the DL32R, and $500 on the iPad. So I got a complete mixer for $2500. That's pretty cheap consider that 5 years ago, a cheap digital mixer sold for 6 or 7,000 (I'm thinking of the Mackie TT24). And it didn't do near as much as the DL32R.

Sounds like got it covered on all bases. Very cool .
Totally agree on the overall value. Even with the 1608 and iPad its a total investment of $1,500 and considering
all the outboard "free" gear you couldn't have touched it before.
I also looked at the amount of gear I sold like 4 eq's, a mess of compressor/limiters, and a FX rack and when I looked at that in the formula the net was under $500.00 and I still kept a few odds and ends and my original board.    Plus got an iPad i can use outside the mixer
On your fixed iPad you can always download a few apps like pink noise generator, decibel meters, frequency meters. Lots of free cool .
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 12:35:08 AM »
On your fixed iPad you can always download a few apps like pink noise generator, decibel meters, frequency meters. Lots of free cool .
Excellent tip. I'll have to look into that. I'll be selling some gear as well, including a Mackie Quad EQ.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 12:39:09 AM »
ipads are great for motorcycle touring.  They provide everything you actually need from the internet and take up very little space.  (I take my ipad mini now.)   What I need from the internet while traveling.  E-mail, internet access and Skype .  I can do all of those from my iphone, but the small screen gets to me fairly quickly, so I consider that a backup device.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 01:03:55 AM »
There is an app called Audio Tool, it's the only app I ever paid for. I think it was about 4.99
And I highly recommend it. It has a lot of tools like noise generators, EQ, metronome and more
Definitely worth the money.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:06:59 AM by Rdmitch »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 02:36:16 AM »
Audio Tools by Studio Six Digital.  (Forgot what I paid for it, but it's a good app.)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 05:27:53 AM »
The only one I see is Audio Tool by Performance Audio. It's $1.99. It looks like what you're talking about. Did I find the right one?
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 05:40:19 AM »
I see both Audio Tool and Audio Tools in the app store.  Different programs.  Didn't think Audio Tools was $2.  Think it might have been $20 with in app purchases available.  (There are a lot of sub-programs that won't work without the correct external device.)   Casually looking at both, Audio Tools is more of a professional styled tool.  Maybe for normal things, there isn't much difference, but Audio Tool has a Steam Punk appearance to it.  (Not that that is a problem.)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 05:55:29 AM »
Yeah, there's a big price difference between Audio Tool ($2) and Audio Tools ($20). I don't mind spending 10x the money for 10x the value. But is there really that big a difference?
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 07:55:06 AM »
Yeah, there's a big price difference between Audio Tool ($2) and Audio Tools ($20). I don't mind spending 10x the money for 10x the value. But is there really that big a difference?
Yes and a big difference in what you use it for. Just read what tools they both have and then decide. Best $20 I spend on an app for pro audio use but I added more options $ that I would need. If you're just doing gigs you won't have time for installation tools and I doubt your going to use SMAART.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:57:42 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 08:12:13 AM »
It's the audio tools by performance audio.

Another one that is good is called RTA Aidio, it's free and has a nice frequency and decibel meter
with a lot of nice options. Of course,they will nag you to upgrade to the pro version but
I just keep the free one since I just use it to see a few things.  I also don't really believe that this one
(Or any app) is going to be totally accurate since they only rely on the little built in iPad mic.
But their fun to look at and free.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:25:53 AM by Rdmitch »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 01:32:12 PM »
iOS WARS: EPISODE IX A NEW HOPE
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:34:00 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »
I will admit that what I use Audio Tools for mostly is the DB meter and RTA.  I don't use the RTA for setting things up, just for a casual look at the acoustics.  I also own a DOD RTA that I've owned for many years.  That one I've used for setting a baseline for a PA.  Since I've had DriveRack PAs and PXs, it hasn't seen much use.  Personally don't think most people would appreciate its usefulness, so I'll probably die still having it.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »
iOS WARS: EPISODE IX A NEW HOPE
Yes that's why I believe it won't be just a reliability upgrade but their second attempt to deal with multi-window/multi-tasking . Android is eating their lunch. Apple had multi/tasking/windows in last years development release and it was pulled probably because it needed more work. The war goes on.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 04:46:38 PM »
I don't see it as a war.  You can have cheap with Android or good with Apple.  You can get infected apps with Android or tested ones with Apple.   Apple does indeed have a walled garden to pick apps from, but it's so huge.  Android doesn't have a walled garden for picking apps and I don't think they test the apps for any level of functionality.  (Or even to verify they're virus free.)   I can see most people needing about 50,000 apps to pick from.  Apple's smaller choices is still over 1,000,000 apps.  Lot of stuff out there that nobody needs.  And as my Son pointed out, Apple apps cost more.  (Usually a buck or two more than the Android versions.)   I'm not afraid of spending money in the right place.  I do like apps that allow a short term test before committing to it.  Bought a $10 app for cueing effects and songs during the theater shows I do.  It's been useful.  (And it has a few kinks too.)