Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

IPad Air 2 Does the Trick with MF 3.X. In My Perception

(1/10) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
Was able to borrow an iPad Air 2 and play around with MF 3.X. My perceived “lag” disappeared completely. Acted like it was running MF 2.X. I then compared it to MF 3.X on my iPad 2. What a difference in my perception.

Too bad that you theoretically have to use a faster iPad to make the “lag” disappear. And MF looks so much nicer and sharper on the Retina Display too. The real question is will iOS 9 and the next MF version change all this once again? Or not?

All of us older (the iPad, not us) iPad users now have to buy a new iPad to run MF 3.X lightning (pun intended) fast? Not! I can actually live with a perceived lag for the time being. But it was nice to play with the iPad Air 2 just the same.  :)

Fluddman:
I use an ipad air and agree that the lag is usually acceptable but it's still there.

Where it annoys me the most is with buttons. For example I press the mute button, nothing happens, so I press it again thinking I missed it the first time. Doh it was lag, and so I've actually muted and unmuted - its a bugger when someone is disconnecting an acoustic guitar - crackle, thump, bang.

For me the lag seems worse the first time you touch a control after a period of inactivity. After the first touch i seem to have very little lag for additional changes but once I stop making requests and let it rest, the lag is back for the first touch. It's kind of like it has to reconnect for the first request.

Nothing to do with lag but the other night I got caught out. I unthinkingly closed the cover on my ipad (putting it to sleep) and went to put up some lights. Someone onstage moved a microphone and there was a burst of feedback - by the time I got to the ipad, woke it up and got to the mute button I'd lost a couple of HF drivers. Didn't make much money that night! I was so pissed with myself as as I am normally very careful to mute outputs when I don't have the ipad in my hands.

BTW ever noticed how hard it is to find a sleeping ipad on a dark stage? I've put a couple of glow strips on it.

Cheers

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: Fluddman on February 20, 2015, 02:05:59 AM ---I use an ipad air and agree that the lag is usually acceptable but it's still there.

Where it annoys me the most is with buttons. For example I press the mute button, nothing happens, so I press it again thinking I missed it the first time. Doh it was lag, and so I've actually muted and unmuted - its a bugger when someone is disconnecting an acoustic guitar - crackle, thump, bang.

For me the lag seems worse the first time you touch a control after a period of inactivity. After the first touch i seem to have very little lag for additional changes but once I stop making requests and let it rest, the lag is back for the first touch. It's kind of like it has to reconnect for the first request.

Nothing to do with lag but the other night I got caught out. I unthinkingly closed the cover on my ipad (putting it to sleep) and went to put up some lights. Someone onstage moved a microphone and there was a burst of feedback - by the time I got to the ipad, woke it up and got to the mute button I'd lost a couple of HF drivers. Didn't make much money that night! I was so pissed with myself as as I am normally very careful to mute outputs when I don't have the ipad in my hands.

BTW ever noticed how hard it is to find a sleeping ipad on a dark stage? I've put a couple of glow strips on it.

Cheers

--- End quote ---

Hey,

I noticed that with the controls. It sort of forgets that you just used that particular control and goes "Oh, sorry, I was just resting for a nanosecond, would you like to re use this one again? Are you sure?" Are you really sure?  ;)

Oh, I feel your pain losing HF drivers. Ouch! Not fun and expensive too! It happens to the best of us, but even when it's not really our fault that something goes wrong, like feedback, it's always your, our fault as far as the management is concerned and every one in the venue too.  :facepalm:

I have had that experience locating my iPad! Glow strips is a very unique and smart idea.  :thu: Going to have to add that to my box of gear.  8)

I hope the replacement HF Drivers aren't too expensive?

Good Luck!

Wynnd:
That sounds a bit like it's trying to save energy.  Almost sleeping?  I've run into that.  Is there a performance mode on an ipad?  If there were, it would be the one to reach for.

Fluddman:

--- Quote from: Keyboard Magic on February 20, 2015, 02:28:26 AM ---
Hey,

I noticed that with the controls. It sort of forgets that you just used that particular control and goes "Oh, sorry, I was just resting for a nanosecond, would you like to re use this one again? Are you sure?" Are you really sure?  ;)

Oh, I feel your pain losing HF drivers. Ouch! Not fun and expensive too! It happens to the best of us, but even when it's not really our fault that something goes wrong, like feedback, it's always your, our fault as far as the management is concerned and every one in the venue too.  :facepalm:

I have had that experience locating my iPad! Glow strips is a very unique and smart idea.  :thu: Going to have to add that to my box of gear.  8)

I hope the replacement HF Drivers aren't too expensive?

Good Luck!

--- End quote ---

The drivers weren't too expensive and I was able to change them myself (just the diaphrams). All up and running and ready for tonight's gig!.

Hopefully there will be no repeat of the last performance. It's amazing how long a few seconds seems to lasts when you are trying to stop the dreaded feedback!

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version