Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

IPad Air 2 Does the Trick with MF 3.X. In My Perception

<< < (7/10) > >>

sam.spoons:
+1, quieter is almost always better if you actually want to listen to the music.  :)

Wynnd:
I love intense music.  I never confuse intense with LOUD.

Fluddman:
I do sound for a lot of bands mainly in bars and clubs with a couple of hundred people max. I guess this is the lower end of the gene pool and I notice two main things - most play too loud and too fast.

Bands that can control and balance their volume are such a pleasure. Fortunately I have a few regulars that fit into this category but even these struggle to keep control in venues that are just not set up for live sound.

Put a drum kit in a room with hard floors and lots of hard reflective surfaces and its always going to be a nightmare. Funny that these venues often hire loud rock bands and then complain they are too loud!

I do one such venue and when the licensee complains to me I actually turn off the front of house to demonstrate how much spill is coming of the glass and hard wooden walls that surround the stage. Its amazing how loud it is even with the FOH off. I am trying to convince him to at least put some carpet down and some thick curtains but he just won't do it!

On another note I think some musicians really just can't tell when they are too loud while other simply just don't care (or I can't get my sound unless its loud!).

We are getting further off topic but I am finding it of great interest.

sam.spoons:
Most of my gigs are in the 50-200 punters range too, and I'm doing more acoustic based stuff than rock bands these days (which suits me). As you say, many semi-pro muso's can't control their stage volume and in smaller venues that can make the sound engineer's job impossible. Add in crap venue acoustics and you have a recipe for disaster.

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Fluddman on February 22, 2015, 07:41:33 AM ---Put a drum kit in a room with hard floors and lots of hard reflective surfaces and its always going to be a nightmare.
--- End quote ---
Absolutely not true, a real drummer can play softly enough to rehearse in an apartment - been there, done that :) .
--- Quote ---On another note I think some musicians really just can't tell when they are too loud while other simply just don't care (or I can't get my sound unless its loud!).
--- End quote ---
More like "don't care". Unfortunately if you're doing general providing you'll either deal with LOTS of them arsehats or not work a lot - I choose the latter. I was providing for a 7 piece horn band last night with just my 10" mains (no subs) and a pair of 10" side fills for monitoring - and I still had four mics on the drummer with his two toms and the kick in them mains with headroom to spare. The mic on the snare/HH and two horns were just run into the 'verb with no "dry" in the mains - but the drummer's vocal mic picks up a bit of snare anyways...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version