Author Topic: Possible iOS 8.1.3 bug affecting the Apple AirPort Express Router  (Read 3941 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
For anyone that’s using the Apple AirPort Express Router and have upgraded your iPads to iOS 8.1.3 and you’re using wireless mics that are running on the 2.4 GHz band, you may be experiencing drop outs with the mics.

I’ve found that the iOS update has quite possibly forced the AirPort to default to running in dual band mode, when you connect your iPad to it after the update, especially if you’ve previously configured it to run only in the 5 GHz mode. When I got my first  DL way back and configured the AirPort I noticed at my first gig with it, my Shure Digital 2.4 GHz wireless mic was dropping out all evening. I found that the AirPort was running in dual band mode and conflicting with the Shure. I then configured the AirPort to run only on the 5 GHz band. No more problems with the mic since that day.

Two days ago using the schools DL and after the update of my iPad 2 to iOS 8.1.3, my Shure was dropping out again. Today I ran the AirPort Utility App on my iPad to check the setup of my AirPort, sure enough it was now running in dual band mode once again. It looks like iOS 8.1.3 reset it to default mode after the Airport communicated with the iPad. I did not hard reset the AirPort at any time, evidenced by the unaltered retention of my security and other settings remaining intact. I disabled the 2.4 GHz band and now have to test it with the Shure before the next venue.

If this cures it, I will report back on my findings.  8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Possible iOS 8.1.3 bug affecting the Apple AirPort Express Router
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 02:43:45 AM »
You can definitely run airport express in single mode.  I've been running mine in dual mode since I got the DL1608.  I don't have any problem with my wireless Shure mics.  Wondering what is different. 

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 02:45:04 AM »
Correction, I'm pretty sure that my Shure mics aren't 2.4 Ghz.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 04:24:10 PM »
Could it possibly be the gazillion cell phones that are in the audience being used by the very polite  ::) parents during concerts in the school gym? Do cells run on 2.4 GHz?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 05:16:59 PM »
Older smartphones only have 2.4 GHz, newer ones mostly have both (iPhone 4s is 2.4GHz only, 5 and 6 have both).

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »
Could it possibly be the gazillion cell phones that are in the audience being used by the very polite  ::) parents during concerts in the school gym? Do cells run on 2.4 GHz?

The actual cellular portion is in the range between 850MHz and 2.1GHz, depending on the type of service and where in the world you are. Here in the States, the range is expanding downwards towards 600MHz somewhat, but I haven't seen any move to go up ... yet. The WiFi on the phones is at 2.4GHz and newer phones also support 5GHz. Some of the newer WiFi technologies coming in the next couple of years will be at 900MHz (802.11ah) and 45/60GHz (802.11aj).
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 05:52:45 PM »
Any possible connections with the iOS 8.1.3 update and resetting the AirPort to go back to dual band mode? It sure seemed that way, right after the update and the first time I connected to the router with the iPad. I guess I will have to test it to make absolutely sure it doesn't do it every time I connect with the iPad and Master Fader.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 03:13:45 AM »
I don't think so.  My Airport express had to be configured to do dual band.  It didn't default to it.  And an upgrade to any version of ios shouldn't affect your Airport express at all.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
I don't think so.  My Airport express had to be configured to do dual band.  It didn't default to it.  And an upgrade to any version of ios shouldn't affect your Airport express at all.

I know that I originally had the 2.4 disabled. Very interesting. Could've switched back by itself? Or ghosts in the machine again?  ;) I will double check it this weekend to make sure my configuration sticks though. Is there anyway to make it save the configuration permanently? Or when you reconfigure it, it automatically saves? I would think that it does unless you do a hard reset on it.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 05:19:19 PM »
It shouldn't change unless someone reset the airport express.  That only takes a bent paperclip. (Are paperclips headed for obscurity?)   I wouldn't think that even a voltage spike would cause that.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »
Warning, if you don't have a password on your airport express, anyone with an ios device or a Mac computer could change it.  (Easily)   I named mine "NoInternetHere" and "No InternetHere 5Ghz" and gave them a fairly lengthy passphrase.  I don't give the passphrase out, but I will put it into the ios device that needs access.  (The device remembers and the bandmates don't need to know the passphrase to adjust their monitor mixes.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 11:22:17 PM »
Hi Wynnd,

As far as I know, I haven't reset it physically. And it's secured by lengthy password and a non descript name. I'm thinking of changing that to something that will make any interested parties ignore it. "Devil's Domain"? "This network will destroy your phone"? "FBI Malicious Software Test Network"?  :)

I think paper clips have a niche market with all the tech devices in the world that have a tiny reset port that nothing else will fit into.  :laugh:

As for the AirPort, just going to keep my eye on it to see if it remains set the way I want it to run. Thank you for your input and suggestions.  :thu: