Author Topic: One year on DL1608  (Read 4205 times)

slystewart

• Padawan
One year on DL1608
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »
Just a few words about using the DL1608 ,have been using this with our
Saturday night cover band for over a year  having moved from a Soundcraft
16 channel analog desk . The band two front guys bass.,two guitars and drums
And I have to say it's been for us the best move yet .
Some times we have a sound guy who uses his iPad for front of house and I the bass
Player have mine docked to control monitors and intro music
,sometime I have to run the sound from stage.
Issues. In the past you need a good router I use Apple extreme on 5 ghz
Don't use just anything and gain control knobs can be sensitive and close together to get to
In the dark sometimes on stage.
The 32r version looks the next stage to go to but for us has way to many
Channels to use we need 15 or so hope a DL 18r comes out
Anyway just some working views  Stewart

Wynnd

• Master
Re: One year on DL1608
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 02:19:08 AM »
It is easier to live with too many channels than barely enough.  (That said, I don't expect to move up from my DL1608.)   And for those who wanted both Pre and Post fader effects, you can at least do that with the reverb on the DL32R

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »
It is easier to live with too many channels than barely enough.  (That said, I don't expect to move up from my DL1608.)   And for those who wanted both Pre and Post fader effects, you can at least do that with the reverb on the DL32R

I quite agree with you. There’s the odd time, twice a year, when I have to use 11 wireless mics including one for the MC plus 13/14 & 15/16 linked for stereo music playback from a laptop and an iPod. It’s nice to have the 16 channels for just in case. But I certainly don’t need 32 at this point time and probably never. The DL1608 I’m using is perfect for that.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 04:37:38 PM »
I could see Mackie offering a 24 channel, but not sure if it will be a DL or the next generation.  Pretty sure they're already planning the next generation of mixers.  Development for any mixer manufacturers is probably pretty exciting right now.  (Doubt we'll ever hear about the back stories.  Any writers out there looking for interesting subjects?)   

My Parents gave me some stock in the 60s and I was an owner of two whole shares of Bendix stock during an attempted hostile takeover.  Imagine a 16 year old getting a new proxy request every day for weeks.  I finally read Mary Cunningham's book about it.  Very interesting times.  (Good book too.) 

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »
I still think affordable master and slave units is the way to go, 8 channel desk with fx eq routing etc. Then black boxes with additional 8 inputs as and when your needs increase, all 1u devices from €299.00.

Simples

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 04:51:38 PM »
ADAT

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
I still think affordable master and slave units is the way to go, 8 channel desk with fx eq routing etc. Then black boxes with additional 8 inputs as and when your needs increase, all 1u devices from €299.00.

Simples

To me thissound good, but see more in a master , with 8 in and 4 out,and one slot for stereo fx
The slave could be also someting like 4 in 2 out and and fx slot , fx need to be downloadable

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 09:58:57 PM »
I'd like to see modular add ons to the X32 (any flavour) 1U 8 input and 8 output units capable of being racked up into a custom stagebox with exactly the I/O required. The XR range won't fit into my rig unless they can act as stageboxes for my X32s. It would be great to have an XR18 for small gigs but not have it sitting in the van when I need 24 or 32 inputs when it could be doing S16 stuff. As it is I'll have to live with the size of the X32 Rack for my smallest gigs even though something smaller would be great (this assumes I don't get a decent price for my Mackie DL1608. It's a great little mixer and  I won't be selling it for peanuts just to replace it with an XR....).

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 10:14:44 PM »
You can connect up two DL1608's for at least 24 channels - more if you don't need all the auxes. If you can keep all the stuff that needs to be in the monitors within 16 channels and run mono you can get 31 channels!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 10:58:51 PM »
Yup (as you know I've been on here a while RR, and on the Mackie forums before, and I'm still an advocate of the DL series). I've considered that option but the X32 Compact + Rack option is a more sophisticated solution for only a modest amount more cash (2 x DL 1608 = £1900, X32 Compact + Rack = £2210) and fits my needs better (and you get real faders). I've said before I'd love to keep my DL (and may still end up doing so if nobody offers a sensible price for it) but it'll be a shame to see it sitting in the storeroom unused alongside my old, much loved 1202.