Author Topic: problem after update?  (Read 18193 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: problem after update?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 04:47:53 PM »
Truth of the matter is that most surface mount equipment is "disposable". Even warranty repairs consist of a new mainboard or often a whole new unit. One of the greatest things about the MixWiz is that it is actually repairable :) .

feedback50

• Youngling
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 05:25:12 PM »
I wouldn't rule anything out as the cause at this point, but with connectors I would think that mechanical agitation would be a clue. In this case the mixer worked fine rack-mounted one week and died a week later without exiting the rack. The CRC's were ok on the firmware update so data would likely be transferring via the 30 pin connector correctly. In the most recent case the mixer worked wirelessly for about five minutes before the ipad lost contact. The ipad could see the router just fine however.  (Luckily I was able to get through my rehearsal last night with limited channels, mixing totally off the gain pots on the DL. No control via IPAD wired or otherwise though).

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »
If it's dead anyway it may be worth opening it up and reseating any ribbon cables and connectors you can find. A splash of Deoxit in the pins of the connectors while it's in bits would probably be a sensible extra precaution (fine brush, not spray BTW) ::) You have nowt to lose...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 06:59:44 PM »
Trying another power supply is usually a good idea also...

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 08:11:38 PM »
If it's dead anyway it may be worth opening it up and reseating any ribbon cables and connectors you can find. A splash of Deoxit in the pins of the connectors while it's in bits would probably be a sensible extra precaution (fine brush, not spray BTW) ::) You have nowt to lose...
Alternate power supply, same results. Disassembly of the dead DL1608 revealed burnt surface mount components. Swapped main board from another DL1608 to the faulty DL1608 to test out the rest of the mixer with positive results. Reassembled the good main board back into it`s casing. Kicked the faulty DL1608 to the proverbial curb.
I would agree that $500+ US is outrageous and unreasonable. Whether these described failures may be aberrations of the total number of units in the field or indicators of unreported issues, it certainly would serve the manufacturer/customer relationship well if a reasonable swap program/offer
existed or could be implemented.
Would of course be nice if a Mackoid in Woodinville  is tuning in and might consider that it would be in their interest to reach out and establish a good will gesture that would reverberate in a positive image beyond this Mackie centric forum.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 08:18:15 PM »
Quite agree, come on Beno do the right thing otherwise we'll all buy X18s!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 08:19:36 PM »
Would of course be nice if a Mackoid in Woodinville  is tuning in and might consider that it would be in their interest to reach out and establish a good will gesture that would reverberate in a positive image beyond this Mackie centric forum.
Well, Uri himself does that on another (non-Behringer) forum so hopefully Mackie will at least want it back to find out what went wrong, maybe as a partial trade-in :) .

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 08:27:14 PM »
Quite agree, come on Beno do the right thing otherwise we'll all buy XR18s!
Well, not until our DL1608's go teats up - and so far they seem quite reliable other than a couple random failures :) . I do hope to at least see a few more features migrate downward from the DL32R though. I suspect Mackie is purposely withholding some to differentiate the two mixers but big mistake IMO :( .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:32 PM »
It's getting frustrating to find out that some of these expensive products that you invest in become throw-aways once the warranty runs out.

Of course the computer industry is the same way today. When a name brand system comes out of warranty and it needs a motherboard. etc. the replacement part is so expensive, it's pretty much cheaper to buy a new computer. So I can sort of understand why a DL in this case can also be a throw away when a motherboard fries. So depending on which unit you have, it's good for anywhere from 1 to 4 years tops? Mean Time Before Failure Rate would seem to apply here too, I think.

I'm glad I have a backup mixer with me at every gig!  ;)
If computer motherboard range from $50-150, yes certainly in higher volumes, how do you justify a $500 price tag?
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 09:40:13 PM »
Well, Uri himself does that on another (non-Behringer) forum so hopefully Mackie will at least want it back to find out what went wrong, maybe as a partial trade-in :) .
They weren't interested in iBlokes white noise unit what makes you think they're interested in this? For features the X-Air beats the DL1608 and at $650 (XR18) it's a no brainer. They are also going thru their start-up issues but moving a lot faster than Mackie could ever go.  :) To be fair if you're under the one year warranty all's good for a replacement according to reports here.
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 09:57:45 PM »
It's a matter of trust for me, I really like the board and it serves me well with no problems at all.
The lag seems gone which made me very happy. But I still carry a spare board as do a few others
here.  Years ago in the heyday of analog boards and racks of gear I would not have even thought of a spare board just in case. I have had Mackie boards for what seems like forever, except for a brief encounter with a carvin and a MixWiz which were not mine, I just got paid to twist the knobs.

The whole idea of the DL for me was to get rid of carrying excess rack gear and easing up the load, but it seems like I don't have the trust yet to leave the spare at home. I have never had to break out the Yamaha yet and hopefully will never need to. I guess I'm just not at that point yet. Possibly I read to many of others problems so I just get apprehensive, that coupled with my less than stellar experience with the Mackie subs I just don't fully trust the brand 100%

Anyone have any great suggestions on lightweight subs ?  I want to carry less weight. I'll see the owner of Eighth Day Sound on Thursday and will ask his opinion but I'm sure I can't afford anything he will suggest!
Your never to old to learn something stupid

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
Well the QSC K series seems to be quite popular here. It all depends on your application and of course your budget. Matching the subs to your tops should be paramount. Good luck.
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »
I checked those out and did like them....I'm actually looking for something under 50 lbs.
E.V. And yorkville both have a 12" sub. I have not heard either one live.

after 2 shows this weekend, both of which involved the dreaded stairs with no elevator I want
To have a few little baby's to have available.  Thinking of putting 2-12" subs at 700 watts each right next to each other, on the floor and trying to pick up some added db that way

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 12:56:41 AM »
Got a full ZXA1 setup with matching subs.  I like the subs.  Tight sound and easy to haul around.  You can send them either a full range and pass the signal on to the satellites or just a sub range.  They do filter out the highs for the subs alone.  I've set them up through my DriveRack PX with separate signals for the subs, with a single signal for the subs and also with the full signal to the sub and jumped onto the satellites.  Honestly, properly connected according to the way I set them up, you can't hear any difference.  So I usually use the full stereo signal to the sub jumped to the satellite.  (Easier hook up.)   You will find that the specs are 127 dbc measured max splash.  If you need about 115 dbc, that's in the ball park.  (With some headroom.  Personally that's 10 db louder than I like it.)  I also like the fact that all of those EVs will fit in the trunks of most mid-sized sedans. 

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 01:29:04 AM »
I know,this,is the wrong topic to continue this conversation, but I am really,glad to hear that you (wynnd) are liking those EV little subs since I find you to be a pretty knowledgeable person.  I'm really leaning that way. I use a drive rack and 2 K-12's
The drive rack right now is the only thing making the Mackie subs sound acceptable.
I may end up keeping the Mackies since probably no one will want to buy them.  I can use them in a larger venue.
I can easily add more power amps and throw up a few JBLS cabs too.

I don't do DJ or house music so I have no desire to have excessive low end, just want a nice clean kick drum
thump and some low end to balance out the rest of the mix.

Step one of the load lightening is done. Took all the extra junk out of the rack tonight. Bye bye outboard gear.
QSC 1450  boat anchor gone. New Behringer nuke 6000 for monitor sends installed.
Went from 12 rack spaces to 6 and dropped about 40 lbs.
Tomorrow the 1608 comes out of the heavy duty road case  with then Mackie rack mount kit
and gets a new small briefcase style anvil case at 1/3 the weight