Author Topic: problem after update?  (Read 18322 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: problem after update?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 02:41:36 AM »
I used the school’s DL tonight for a Lecture night. It ran flawlessly. I’m always blown away by how it works so well. I used the Trim feature to tweak the MC mic. So cool. Just like I mentioned in my other post on this topic.

BUT, like I’ve mentioned ad-nauseum, the spare mixer was sitting right next to the DL for just in case. I love this stuff, but the trust is still a little harder to earn, after all this time. I agree with Rdmitch 100%. What’s the old phrase? Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on thee!

I feel like I’m caught up in a contradiction in terms. Rock and a hard place? As Alfred E. Neuman aptly stated: “What, Me Worry?”  :laugh:

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 03:21:17 AM »
The phrase is "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, Shame on me."   Or if you're GW Bush, Can't get fooled again.     I frequently carry a spare mixer, but I don't bring it in the door. 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 03:25:22 AM »
The phrase is "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, Shame on me."   Or if you're GW Bush, Can't get fooled again.     I frequently carry a spare mixer, but I don't bring it in the door.

Thank you for that correction.  :thu: Very tired after the gig at the school this evening.  :-[ 

Or.. "Fool Me Once, Shame On me, Fool Me Twice, Shame on Me, Fool Me the third time...Shame on You??"?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:29:52 AM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 03:35:54 AM »
Based on what you stated I would go with the Ksub, yes it's 74 lbs. but then again you would only need one and well matched to your K12's. Say goodby to your DriveRack PA don't need it. Less stuff to lug and set-up/tear down. My 2 cents. Fit wheels and a handle and off you go. If you can get enough low end the EV's aren't bad at 46 lbs and less expensive but if you need two it's the same cost and more lbs. and space/cables etc.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:52:16 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 03:51:08 AM »
Anyone have any great suggestions on lightweight subs ?  I want to carry less weight. I'll see the owner of Eighth Day Sound on Thursday and will ask his opinion but I'm sure I can't afford anything he will suggest
I have a pair of 75 lb Danley TH-Mini's that I can run bridged on my NU3000 amp - they can get stoopid loud above their ~50Hz cutoff. About $1200 each though <ouch>

Most venues I just use a pair of 34 lb 4 ohm 2x12's - GK 212MBE's. Those I power one per channel on the NU3000 for about 600 watts into each. Again they don't go below 50 Hz but they are punchy as heck. I paid about $350 each when they were being discontinued, dunno if they still make a lightweight 4 ohm 2x12 as the mark II model is now also discontinued :( .

I'm told these are pretty good too:
http://www.ramsdellproaudio.com/products/subs/FL-1-18.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:58:05 AM by RoadRanger »

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 05:27:01 AM »
Is the recent DL1608 platform failures posted here a sign of things to come for other DL owners that have units out of warranty? Or is this just a minor incident? Any way you look at it, I’m going to be thinking about the school’s DL in particular. Even though it’s not mine in ownership, I do have a responsibility to look after it.

This one is almost 2 years old now. Should I be worried and try to convince them to trade it while it is in good working order at this time? Obviously it’s worth more working. But like I mentioned in another post, the TCDSB (Toronto Catholic Board) is very tight and they’re in a big budget deficit right now too. I know some would say, don’t worry it’s not yours, but they cannot look after themselves most of the time.
I don't do many gigs. It's a bit of a hobby for me really.

But I use my DL for literally hours everyday in my man cave.
My QSC PA is my man cave stereo between gigs.
I used to play my iPod music through little Allen & Heath ZED 10 mixer. This is the mixer I take to every gig as a backup if my DL falls over.

But it's just so convenient using the DL to play music directly from a docked iPad mini, or via AirPlay from my iPhone while I'm sitting down browsing here and elsewhere, and of course drinking beer :D

I have a cheap pedastool fan than is set at low speed and gently blows cooling air across the DL which keeps it cool. I have no doubt excessive heat is the enemy of devices like the DL and PC's so I have my fingers crossed that even though my DL is clocking up hundreds of hours of use its doing it in a relatively low temperature condition.
Oh and the fan also keeps my Airport express a Lot cooler too. Fingers crossed that improves its longevity.
All my other routers have cooling vents in them. But the Airport express doesn't, and I reckon this may be why I've read so many reports of Airport premature failures.  :)

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 05:34:32 AM »
Based on what you stated I would go with the Ksub, yes it's 74 lbs. but then again you would only need one and well matched to your K12's. Say goodby to your DriveRack PA don't need it. Less stuff to lug and set-up/tear down. My 2 cents. Fit wheels and a handle and off you go. If you can get enough low end the EV's aren't bad at 46 lbs and less expensive but if you need two it's the same cost and more lbs. and space/cables etc.
I've got two Ksubs, and a single KW181 which is a small horn loaded sub with an 18" speaker.

One Ksub buy its self is relatively wimpy as for as subs go.
But I use mine side by side and there is a huge increase in both audible output, as well as that tight "punch in the chest" feel.
Using the KW181 on the other side of the stage adds both the depth an 18" driver can give, but it also throws further due to its horn loaded cab.

The 3 subs together make up a really nice balance of 12" punch, and 18" thump :)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 05:57:24 AM »
I remember my very first experience with "thump in the chest" subs.  I was about 15 rows behind the engineer's booth.  My very first thought was "Who thought that this was a good idea?"   I HATED IT!!!!!   (And this was outdoors at Fiddler's Green, where I had had great experience after great experience when they were running the time delayed three tired sound system.  That day they didn't bother with the three tired system and ran all the volume from the FOH.  LOUD, TOO MUCH KICK, TOO BASSEY, NOT GOOD.  Two major international acts and some local opening act that I had never heard of.  (And haven't heard of since.)   I never want to feel that "thump in the chest" again.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 06:07:47 AM »
By the way, my ZXA1 subs were $1200 for the pair and they are powered.  Yorkville has a 10" sub that is significantly louder without being as big.  (No idea how they do it.  I'm betting it's a bit pricey.  They do make some great stuff.)  There are times that I want to add a couple of subs, but I can't think of any cases where I really needed it.  Maybe I just like the way they look stacked two high.  (Puts the satellites a bit higher.  On top of a single sub with the pole, they sit at face level.)

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »
I'm going to attempt to check out a few options later this week. I like to try to preview items at a store before I order them. If the store matches an online price I would buy them locally.
Believe it or not,  in a major city like Cleveland no music store has a decent selection. The local
Guitar center has almost nothing left as far as pro audio other than some JBL stuff and peavey cabs.
You can see the writing on the wall as far as G/C's future.  The worst part is I walked into there a few days ago
and was totally ignored while about 3 employees stood around talking to each other. After about 15 minutes
one did approach me to answer a few questions.  Nothing on display, no stock, none planned on coming
in. But I could order from their warehouse.....sure, no problem...let me get that extended warranty too 😜
Sam Ash has tons of stuff.....too bad it's all Samsom.  Not a yorkville dealer around except a small karaoke supply store that stocks low end stuff only.  It's a sad state of affairs in this industry.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 05:38:09 PM »
Unfortunately things break down out of warranty, it's one of the costs of being in business.
My DL has been flawless but I can't see an economical repair here in the UK, if it fried a board.
Over the years I've encountered fixable and non fixable, it just alters your opinions of manufacturers.
I just mark it up to experience and try not to get bitten twice.
If you have the know how, I'd be taking a peek inside to look for obvious faults:)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:40:42 PM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

feedback50

• Youngling
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 08:30:06 PM »
Thank you all for your inputs. I may crack the case open and look for fried electrolytics, or other signs of obvious damage (not much to lose at this point). My priority is to get things up and running again for rehearsal and near term gigs, which at this point is likely going to be a complete replacement. Unless I hear anything unanticipated from Mackie, I'm probably going to go a different direction this time. I am not  soured on the DL by this. It performed well while it was working, but considering the dozen times I've used it (only twice outside my rehearsal space), the cost per use is outside my budget. I'm reasonably certain you're likely to have better luck. It's possible that my early-issue DL was manufactured before all the reliability issues had been addressed. My best to you all, and good luck.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 10:02:22 PM »
Now,a personalized quick response from the CEO/Founder to customer comments on the manufacturer website community forum, about a less than one week old publicly released Digital Audio Mixer, of a subject matter of a bit a relevance to this thread, says something about that company if nothing else other than attentive to
its customer base. Props WK1154, or is it Bill ?
http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?6214-X-Air-Edit-is-out-there/page7

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 10:21:01 PM »
There was a time that Greg Mackie would have been right there too in the trenches with us.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 10:31:04 PM »
Now,a personalized quick response from the CEO/Founder to customer comments on the manufacturer website community forum, about a less than one week old publicly released Digital Audio Mixer, of a subject matter of a bit a relevance to this thread, says something about that company if nothing else other than attentive to
its customer base. Props WK1154, or is it Bill ?
http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?6214-X-Air-Edit-is-out-there/page7
No secrets here it's me. I've challenged Uli before on a different forum about the X-16 marketing trial balloon. I'm glad that he got the message unlike some other Product managers. Want X-Air info I suggest you go there. I also respect what he's accomplished for this industry.
When in doubt KISS