Author Topic: problem after update?  (Read 18269 times)

feedback50

• Youngling
problem after update?
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:04:50 AM »
I suspect this is issue is unrelated to upgrading to 3.0x firmware but thought I'd see if anyone else had a similar issue.

I have had no issues with my ipad2 or dl1608 (which I purchases shortly after its introduction) up until today. I upgraded my ipad this morning to latest rev and then upgraded from master fader 2.x (previously current version) to 3.0x (whatever was delivered from itunes). I plugged my ipad into the 1608 and things upgraded normally. The new software worked as expected for a few hours (wirelessly). After attempting to set up some sub groups the mixer became unresponsive. I tried several restarts of the mixer and ipad. I could not connect wired or wirelessly. With the ipad plugged into the mixer, master fader shows a message saying "getting device name". I eventually resorted to uninstalling master fader and reinstalling it with no improvement (along with loss of any stored shows). The mixer led's near the input gain controls blink normally when a microphone is attached. Thinking perhaps the firmware update didn't burn into non volatile memory correctly, I used the force update switch on the back of the mixer (white button). This caused the mixer to ask permission to load new firmware (as expected). This time the firmware update did not go as well. It did the transfer, crc, and installation of both part 1 and part 2, and then hangs indefinitely on message "firmware update complete... rebooting. this may take a while".

Since the new version of master fader did perform as expected for a few hours before problems developed, I expect this may be a coincidence. Of course this couldn't happen at a worse time, as I have a rehearsal with a 13 piece band tomorrow. Guess we'll be on the phone with tech support tomorrow.

Wynnd

• Master
Re: problem after update?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »
I would try the forced update again.

feedback50

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:59:15 AM »
Tried the forced firmware update 3 times with no luck. Last night couldn't get anything to talk to the DL even after an hour cool down. Today I was able to get it to work for about five minutes.

Good news: I was able to get 7 channels up and running audio before the ipad interface went brain dead again. But I think that's enough to get through tonight's rehearsal (with a little help from a cheap yamaha 6 channel). (It still passes audio on the few faders that were up before it went dead again). Probably thermal issues.

Bad news: Mackie tech support suggested all things I've tried already and referred me to an authorized service center in Washington. I spoke to the service tech who had limited experience with the DLs. (Maybe that's good news for you folks that few repairs were necessary.) We agreed it sounded like a main board issue that we aren't likely to trouble shoot the problem to the component level  (surface mount technology is touchy to repair anyway). A new main board is more than $500 according to his price sheet (and of course we're long out of warranty). So I guess it's adios DL.

I'm tempted to look at the dl32 (since more channels would be very nice), but I am surveying the market and considering investing in brand-X since there seems to be little left to salvage of my original investment (and a longer warranty seems very attractive at this point). Too bad. I really liked the DL and Master Fader, and all was fine up until these recent events. Hope you all have better luck.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:36:14 AM »
this is sad to read.

If you purchase a DL32R from Sweetwater Sound they double the warranty period for free.

I hope you purchase a DL32R, I did.... and I love it.
Whatever you choose, I hope you make the best choice for your needs.

I am not with Mackie or Sweetwater.
Dan

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 05:09:07 AM »
Bad news: Mackie tech support suggested all things I've tried already and referred me to an authorized service center in Washington. I spoke to the service tech who had limited experience with the DLs. (Maybe that's good news for you folks that few repairs were necessary.) We agreed it sounded like a main board issue that we aren't likely to trouble shoot the problem to the component level  (surface mount technology is touchy to repair anyway). A new main board is more than $500 according to his price sheet (and of course we're long out of warranty). So I guess it's adios DL.
 Too bad. I really liked the DL and Master Fader, and all was fine up until these recent events. Hope you all have better luck.

Well I too suffered a very similar fate on a DL1608 in Summer 2014 with a main board failure. Having moved past the initial frustration and disappointment, I readily echo that I too really like(d) the DL & MF 2.xx except for the #!@&! VERB! An X32-Rack replaced the DL that plays well with my X32Full or solo.

Inquiries to Mackie for out of warranty component level service on the main board resulted in a referral to a repair center named Revertech in NJ, US.
Apparently Mackie in Woodinville as well as authorized repair centers are not equipped for service on the DL`s other than standard parts swap/replacement.
This is a disappointing and discouraging scenario that I suggest any and all give careful consideration of the service after the sale aspect of any future purchase of a Mackie/Loud Technologies product as well as for any current stock thereby possibly justifying the purchase of an extended service plan.

If any one has any further info relative to DL service information and/or experience please share.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:26:57 AM »
Never had a problem with the DL, but similar experience with a Mackie powered sub.
No decent mackie service in my major metropolitan area. After the power amp sat at the
Service station for 12 weeks unrepaired because they did not properly know what to do with it,
I gave up. Threw it away and moved on without it, I had already bought a replacement amp
section from Loud Tech.   A few notes to Loud got no results or even warranted a reply.
Bottom line was the service station was unregulated, untrained and not properly supported
by Mackie. 
I would NEVER buy another Mackie speaker again and am currently trying to sell the two  I have
while I shop for new lightweight powered subs.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »
I think us Europeans are well served by thomanns 3yr warranty as standard and a very fair out of warranty repair deal,

You have to wonder when/if the 300 dollar digital mixer arrives will faulty units go straight to the trash?

Kev

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 10:46:27 AM »
Worrying indeed. Come on Beno, this is scandalous, time you handed out a few free replacements.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »
It's getting frustrating to find out that some of these expensive products that you invest in become throw-aways once the warranty runs out.

Of course the computer industry is the same way today. When a name brand system comes out of warranty and it needs a motherboard. etc. the replacement part is so expensive, it's pretty much cheaper to buy a new computer. So I can sort of understand why a DL in this case can also be a throw away when a motherboard fries. So depending on which unit you have, it's good for anywhere from 1 to 4 years tops? Mean Time Before Failure Rate would seem to apply here too, I think.

I'm glad I have a backup mixer with me at every gig!  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

feedback50

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 02:45:57 PM »
Very sad. I've had a number of Mackie products in the past (sold my 1604 VLZ which I had for 10 years to buy the DL, and I still have Mackie monitors in my studio). My earliest mixer experiences with Tapco products in the 70's. While Mackie was centralized here in the Northwest I always had very good service, but it appears those days may be over. I understand the pressures of competing with off-shore manufacturing (as I have been to Malaysia to support my own company's  manufacturing sites). But without a well planned domestic service organization and a reasonable exchange/repair plan you're in for a slow degradation of your repeat customer base.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 03:26:17 PM »
Agreed.  Mackie needs a repair/swap out of warranty option.  It's clearly something that if Mackie doesn't do it and nobody else decides to step in, will hurt sales for years.  This is why everyone was still purchasing IBM for their businesses.  You knew they actually supported their equipment and software.  (Hence the saying "No one ever got fired for buying IBM")

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 03:45:40 PM »
Is the recent DL1608 platform failures posted here a sign of things to come for other DL owners that have units out of warranty? Or is this just a minor incident? Any way you look at it, I’m going to be thinking about the school’s DL in particular. Even though it’s not mine in ownership, I do have a responsibility to look after it.

This one is almost 2 years old now. Should I be worried and try to convince them to trade it while it is in good working order at this time? Obviously it’s worth more working. But like I mentioned in another post, the TCDSB (Toronto Catholic Board) is very tight and they’re in a big budget deficit right now too. I know some would say, don’t worry it’s not yours, but they cannot look after themselves most of the time.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

feedback50

• Youngling
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »
My company set up a repair/re-manufacture/recycle operation for many of our products. It makes money because expensive components are available for re-use in field repairs and ecologically it sends a whole lot less scrap to the landfill. It was tricky at first learning how to successfully remove flex cables, do surface mount component replacement, and laser-clean connectors, but it was done mostly by outsourced companies or temporary labor at our facilities. The independent repair companies like it because they can purchase re-manufactured components at a substantial savings (which they may or may not pass on to their customers). I suspect with Mackie it may be a question of scale. They probably aren't big enough to do the engineering required to accomplish all this, but perhaps there are independent companies that can perform this type of service for a number of clients.

chrisdski

• Youngling
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 04:34:21 PM »
I know with my MOTU equipment, they would do a swap out repair usually for a flat fee of around $100 for out of warranty stuff.  Even if they charged $200 and you got a workable DL back, it'd be worth it.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 04:41:52 PM »
If you purchase a DL32R from Sweetwater Sound they double the warranty period for free.
Hmm... I should check to see if this applies to the DL1608 I bought from them. And $500 for a new mainboard (plus labor and shipping both ways!) is wack when you can by a new DL1608 for $700 shipped. I do wonder if maybe this is just a connector problem though?