Author Topic: Even after all this time, using a DL1608…  (Read 10432 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Even after all this time, using a DL1608…
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:06:14 PM »
I have to say that I still absolutely love this tech after all this time. It’s so wonderful to be able to have access to such cool gear that I setup and run wirelessly with all my iDevices. And anywhere in the venue!!  As I connect each device to the network, it joins flawlessly. So amazing indeed. I’m running with 2 iPads, the newer one is running MF 3.X wirelessly. I have the other iPad 2 playing audio tracks over AirPlay. So cool!

I am so lucky to have this tech available in this day and age. But in retrospect 10 years ago I was running a powered mixer and unpowered cabs, a 100 foot snake and thinking I was pretty lucky too, to be able to create good sound. I guess it’s all a matter of perspective. But these are great times even at any age.  The convenience alone is worth the price of admission in my books. Even after all the whining and complaining I've done on this site, I consider myself very lucky indeed, to be able to use stuff like this no matter what brand it is.  ;) 

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Even after all this time, using a DL1608…
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:24:51 PM »
Are you glad the 100' snake is gone?   I am.  Hated putting it down and packing it up.  Now for outdoors, I just want someplace to put my ipad mini down and mix from out there.  (In the shade where I can still see the screen.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:51:02 PM »
Are you glad the 100' snake is gone?   I am.  Hated putting it down and packing it up.  Now for outdoors, I just want someplace to put my ipad mini down and mix from out there.  (In the shade where I can still see the screen.)

I am glad the snake is gone and I have it stored somewhere. I haven't mixed outside yet with the iPads, but I do have one of those portable awnings to hide under. Although I think I won't mix outside until warmer weather though.  ;) I don't know how some musicians can play at winter venues though. My fingers ache at the thought.  :laugh:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 10:09:01 PM »
Beware of the warmer weather, the first really sunny day I used the DL1608 outdoors both my iPads overheated and shut down while I was rigging the PA, 15 mins in the car with the aircon on full blast and blowing on them got them working again but keep you iPad in shade as much as possible if it's hot.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 10:44:24 PM »
Agreed that hot days require a different approach.  I've had my iphone 4S overheat and shut off and I had one of my ZXA1 satellites quit for about 30 minutes due to overheating.  (Class D amp, no heatsink fins or fan.  Class D amps don't get very hot because they avoid the partial resisting mode on their output transistors.)  Shade is your friend.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 11:02:19 PM »
Agreed that hot days require a different approach.  I've had my iphone 4S overheat and shut off and I had one of my ZXA1 satellites quit for about 30 minutes due to overheating.  (Class D amp, no heatsink fins or fan.  Class D amps don't get very hot because they avoid the partial resisting mode on their output transistors.)  Shade
And beer
is your friend.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 12:21:41 AM »
Not worrying about the iPads (Yes I actually do), I'm a shade guy for sure.  ;) "Burn and Peel" is my middle name in the summer. To quote my better half, I do a good impression of a Lobster.  60 SPF Sunblock is my number.  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:31:47 AM by Keyboard Magic »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 01:40:57 AM »
for users of the DL1608 and DL808, I suggest not docking the iPad in hot conditions,
the DL running on extreme hot summer days, even in the shade and without an iPad charging in it's dock is creates enough heat to fry burgers.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:12:18 AM »
for users of the DL1608 and DL808, I suggest not docking the iPad in hot conditions,
the DL running on extreme hot summer days, even in the shade and without an iPad charging in it's dock is creates enough heat to fry burgers.

Good advice indeed! I've noticed that leaving my iPad docked all evening at normal room temp' leaves it quite warm to the touch when I remove it at the end of the gig. I can see it cooking on a hot summers day. What about a good sized laptop cooling pad placed underneath the DL? Power for the fans could come from a spare Apple 5 watt charger.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 02:18:29 AM »
Beer?  Not when working for me.  (Personal attitude.)  On the other hand, I quit going without a shirt years ago after having 2nd degree sun burns on my back 3 times.  Now it's probably as much to be nice to other people as to protect my overweight hide.  (Fat folks should never wear speedos.)

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 10:35:55 AM »
Beer?  Not when working for me.  (Personal attitude.)  On the other hand, I quit going without a shirt years ago after having 2nd degree sun burns on my back 3 times.  Now it's probably as much to be nice to other people as to protect my overweight hide.  (Fat folks should never wear speedos.)

Wynnd, you don't like loud music, you don't like putting anything in monitors, you don't like reverb, you don't approve of people griping about the shortcomings of their equipment, you don't expose huge areas of ugly flesh...all that I can handle but not liking beer!!!! I begin to doubt that you actually run sound. Maybe you really work for B********r and are actually here to demoralise us. :) :) :)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »
He didn't say he didn't like beer, just that he didn't drink when working. I love beer but actually I don't drink when I'm working either, mainly 'cos most music venues serve cr*p beer and even if the sell good stuff I'm too busy to enjoy it. I have a fridge full of decent beer and drink when I get home  :thu:

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 02:39:29 PM »
Never drink while on the gig. Played in one particular band for years that I always ended up being the “Designated Musician”, but keep me floating in ice cold Pepsi or Coke all night and I’m a happy camper. :laugh:

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Don't think anyone has ever seen me complain about putting vocals in the monitors.  And yes, I do enjoy a beer from time to time.  Never more than one and I'm frequently splitting that with my Wife.  Never been drunk.  (Weird enough sober.  Don't want to find out what I'm like drunk.  Don't want anyone else to find out either.)   I suspect that my Son knew more about booze before he was 19 than I know today.  (He's 36 now.  I've never seen him drunk, but that could just be luck.)

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »
No Beer!