Author Topic: Even after all this time, using a DL1608…  (Read 10433 times)

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
Re: Even after all this time, using a DL1608…
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 03:36:38 PM »
I have the same rule- no booze while mixing, plenty of time for that after load-out.

Back to the original post, I had a performance over the weekend with a little jam-band I've been hanging with (this being slow-season for sound gigs) and it was wonderful to be able to run the whole show from the DL sitting next to my bass amp! Easy load-in, easy mixing and easy load-out (with a beer in my hand).

I prefer the Soundcraft Si boards for the bigger gigs, but the DL continues to be a gem and will always be on the truck as my "oh shit" mixer.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 08:03:47 PM »
I remember a DJ cum promoter who supplied DJ and gear for clubs, right along the where you guys put your scribble strips,

Big red writing in embossed dymo tape

BEER ON HERE END OF CAREER

I love a beer when I am singing with a pub band, it's allowed in most situations, but beer when I am suited and booted, no way.

Has to be a gin and tonic as it looks like water lol

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
When I get to the club to mix, the first words out of my mouth are "Does the bartender know I get free beer", followed by "where is it?".

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 08:24:34 PM »
The bars here, well We used to get fed  and receive free beer and spirits from the 9pm soundcheck till about 4am when they closed, then some stupid installed computer monitoring devices and the bars realized they were giving the Gdp of a small country away, three beer limit now, damm you bill gates!

Anyway back at the ranch,  with relation to all these stage box type mixer gizmos that are intended for the floor, it just worries me, tech guys will need eyes in the back of their heads, musos will always have fluids on stage, beer or water spells disaster I think for the new range of on  the floor mixers.

:lol:

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 09:51:12 PM »
Not to worry the Beer umbrella's are being worked on. :)  Needed for the sunny outdoor gigs as well.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 01:03:20 AM »
I would think that unless you're an alcoholic, 3 beers ought to be more than enough for a night.  (Some people won't admit to be alcoholic, but 2 DWIs means you are an alcoholic for sure and considering that many people get away without a DWI for many drunk trips, you've been one for many months or years.)   Keep in mind that there are functional alcoholics out there.  (My Wife's Father was one.) 

Sir Krang

• Padawan
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 05:40:31 AM »
*neanderthal grunt* BEER. GOOD. *neanderthal grunt*

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »

I'll drink to that, in fact I can't drink properly without playing (or something like that). Wynnd, what's a DWI? Were you replying to Homer?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:21:41 AM by pytchley »

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »
What about a good sized laptop cooling pad placed underneath the DL? Power for the fans could come from a spare Apple 5 watt charger.

I do that. It helps. Also, my iPads are all in decent cases, except on sunny gigs.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 05:18:21 PM »

I'll drink to that, in fact I can't drink properly without playing (or something like that). Wynnd, what's a DWI? Were you replying to Homer?

Driving While Impaired? I guess that's a US term for a drunk driving offence.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »
I should have said DUI.  I don't even know the fine for a DUI.  That is something that will never happen to me.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 08:48:59 PM »
I side with the no drinkers. Bad enough that there are a lot a crazies already on the road and no need for one more.  At the time most of us our heading home after load out, it's close to 2-3 AM and we are police magnets. I never have more than a single beer and usually won't even finish that. I'll park myself at a nice location and have coffee or ice tea for the night.  Can't afford bad judgement calls when mixing and certainly can't afford a DWI

I can just see getting busted and hauled off to the police station, leaving my van loaded with expensive gear on the side of the road getting ready to be towed off by people,who are pleased to rid me of my possessions.
I'll save the partying for when I'm at home.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 11:13:33 AM »
In the height of summer in Spain, when the gig is on the third floor and all ones gear is humped up stairs, I am afraid to say the first two beers barely touch the sides, but drink driving for me is a no no and that's why  after 32 years I hate doing gigs, hanging around all night drinking coke and lemonade, watching the bridal/birthday/anniversary/holiday makers get drunk, thank god for the ten minute get in and the occasional designated driver.

I love the beer umbrella idea, just another $49.99 for that I guess.

Kev

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »
I should have said DUI.  I don't even know the fine for a DUI.  That is something that will never happen to me.
In the UK a "DUI" is a criminal offence (with severe consequences) with a minimum one year driving ban and a social stigma to go with it. The limit is low, people get caught the next day/morning after.
I've nothing against booze, moderation is the key and never when driving ;)
The older I get, the better I was!