Author Topic: Review After Using DL32R after 10 times  (Read 2755 times)

takis

• Padawan
Review After Using DL32R after 10 times
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:21:17 PM »
Hello everyone to the forum... Needed to take a quick break from work, and clear my mind...

Overall, I am very pleased with the DL32R.  THese are the top reasons:

1) Setup and breakdown is much quicker and less room for errors along with less cabling issues that can come up.  Getting close to 50 and out of shape, and just getting sick of breakdown an setup...  hopefully, we get to the point we can afford a roadie or two...
2) This really should be #1, but the overall sound of the 4-piece band I play in is soooo much tighter.  Main reason is for the compressor/gate per channel and comp/gate and EQ per AUX output and quick overall volume control per set of speakers.  The drums finally are crystal clean and no more reverberation issues (miced drums, not electronic), and the bass of my keyboard sounds much better through the mix (of course, I wish we can find a good bass player).  Unfortunately, I am one of those guys that accumulates pairs of speakers that might not all be the same type.  Likewise, for larger gigs, I bring in more speakers including  passive subs and passive larger speakers, depending on the venue and/or what additional musicians I may play with that play loud. Thus, the EQ and ompr/gate per AUX is a great benefit.
3) I am very impressed with the EQs sensitivity too.  One thing I have been noticing as I have been using the unit.  I like to use the vintage view.  You move the dials slightly and you do notice a difference in EQ..  even though I was happy with my previous ONYX, I think the EQs are better with this unit.
4)  After adding a Lexicon external unit that I used before, the outgoing reverb is to my taste.  And I am living with the internal reverb for the monitors which I do not use too much through the monitors, but is good enough for now.  But still hope Mackie, does something with their reverbs.
5) The snapshot of differnt setups is great, because our band plays with differnet musicans and singers frequently, and by having additional channel when they come and saving their settings is a really great feature, since most of the hard work of EQing is already done... just maybe need to tweak the EQ and olume and they are ready to go.
6) another thing I noticed is that the folks with wireless stuff for instruments and vocals..  I do not have to mute things anymore when they turn their units on and off...  it seems the compressor/gate settings per channle takes care of this... so when anyone unplugs thigns or tuns off their wireless device to save battery power, I do not get any white noise or any thumping sounds...  still do not truly know why this occurs, other than the comp/gate settings may be affecting this.

We play at many gymnasium type of halls and the system has made a big difference.

btw, I am very picky about sound and quality, so I hope assists some new guys who bought the system not to give up.  Every time I play out, I learn somehting...  I am waiting for spring to come so I may set things up int he garage and play around with the system a little more and tweak things better off stage that while playing.

Taki

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Review After Using DL32R after 10 times
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »
Thanks for the report.  Everyone is picky about their sound.  Just that some people are more successful at getting their sound to their likings.  (And even then others will criticize it.)   Sounds like a lot of the things you like about the DL32r are the same reasons I bought the DL1608.  Been using it for about 18 months.  Quite happy but there is that occasional quirk.  (I'm really used to computers doing that.) 

c172essna

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »
Takis shared...

"Main reason is for the compressor/gate per channel and comp/gate and EQ per AUX output and quick overall volume control per set of speakers.  The drums finally are crystal clean and no more reverberation issues (miced drums, not electronic)"

Takis, can you share a little more about how you are using compression/gate per channel? Did you start with presets and then tweak?

I'm the drummer in our classic rock blues band. What seemed to help clean up drum sound for you?

We're just getting started with the DL32R.

takis

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »
Sorry fior the long delay... You probably already figured things out... But this forum has helped me out many times...

To answer your question.. Compressing and Gating of microphones is a taste in general to the aurio person, and/or the style of music you play.

Basically, I have a simple understanding of compression.  My process was fix the gate level first, and then play around with the other setting of compression until you get a sound that you like per drum type.  It really depends on your sound system too... how many subs, how many watts your running, etc.  You play in a rock band, well you might want your kick to sound looser/boomier.. compression 'effect' can work perfect for this.....

Likewise, gating, at a minimum, can help from getting the bleeding sound from on stage monitors etc.

Overall, I did not use any presets, but started from scratch the first time....  Just took much longer to do sound check with the drummer that night...

Hope this helps.

Taki