Author Topic: NEED URGENT HELP! Force update via wifi DL1608 (resolved)  (Read 11528 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: NEED ERGENT HELP! Force update via wifi DL1608 (resolved)
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 05:52:15 PM »
Will admit that my spelling has improved with spell checker.  I keep seeing the same mistakes and now I think about them. 

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »
"ergent"?

Title corrected. The spelling error was merely a marketing scheme to draw more people to my thread.... or just me being dumb, one or the other lol  :o

..umm..just wondering why the thread title says "resolved" when it actually isn't..or have I missed something?

The original question was answered so I thought I'd write resolved for future searching for the same problem. However, it's always awesome when forum members offer additional assistance on the matter.

P.S. let's get back on topic!
DL1608

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 07:54:48 PM »
"ergent"?

Title corrected. The spelling error was merely a marketing scheme to draw more people to my thread.... or just me being dumb, one or the other lol  :o

..umm..just wondering why the thread title says "resolved" when it actually isn't..or have I missed something?

The original question was answered so I thought I'd write resolved for future searching for the same problem. However, it's always awesome when forum members offer additional assistance on the matter.

P.S. let's get back on topic!

I think "Ergent" was just fine.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: NEED URGENT HELP! Force update via wifi DL1608 (resolved)
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 01:56:03 AM »
We'd still like to know the outcome so let us know.
When in doubt KISS

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 02:00:13 AM »
No problem, I will for sure. Ran out of time today but it's on the chopping block for tomorrow.
DL1608

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 09:24:46 PM »
Ok so R2 (28ohm to ground) is showing open circuit. All other values are reading on my VOM exactly as you describe. Any idea why there is a resistor to ground and not just another shunt?
DL1608

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 09:34:25 PM »
Ok so R2 (28ohm to ground) is showing open circuit. All other values are reading on my VOM exactly as you describe. Any idea why there is a resistor to ground and not just another shunt?
If your measuring across the resistor then it's  defective. It's there as the signal description indicates an identification that Apple uses for accessories such as the DL. It's 28K ohms.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:36:57 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 09:42:46 PM »
I'm checking through junk  circuit boards right now to see if I can find one. If I can ill solder it in. So basically it's working fine, just doesn't know there is anything attached.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have a few old hard drives with the same style resistors all over it. If I can find one with the correct value I'll give it a try
DL1608

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 09:56:15 PM »
Do you know what the tolerance would be on those resistors?
DL1608

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 10:12:19 PM »
Dan, you might also ask why the resistor popped? It always worries me when a component dies, was it just it's time or did something external cause the failure. If you have a spare you'll find out when you fit it so good luck. BTW, a quick google reveals that 28k is only a preferred value in the E96 and E192 series with tolerances of 1% and ½% respectively.

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »
The problem began when a dead battery iPad was plugged in, i would imagine drawing higher current through the resistor finishing it off. I just broke apart an apple iPhone charger and am looking for the resistor in that. I believe at this point upgrading the dock to the lightening connector will fix the problem, but the ham radio side of me is coming out now and I want to fix the problem the old fashion way.  8)

Thanks again for the info, between you guys and google, I'm learning lots!
DL1608

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 01:04:15 AM »
Since when did they start making resistors in 1% and .5% values?  Last i recalled were 20%, 10% and 5%.  (Was always amazed how that level of accuracy resulted in electronics that worked.)  Think I might be a bit too old to go back to electronics classes.   (Vo-tech in 1969.  Great class and a lot of fun.  No integrated circuits, still using tubes and transistors.)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:27 AM »
Metal film resistors are available down to 0.1% tolerance http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-fixed-resistors/7550739/ these days, as you say, amazing levels of precision.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:08:03 AM by sam.spoons »

musicdan

• Padawan
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 12:08:14 AM »
So I'm back up and running. I didn't have a 28k resistor so I used two in series. Plugged in the board and all is well again. The two resistors have a 5% tolerance and where they don't add up exactly to 28k ohms by colour code, the two I selected ended up being a perfect 28k on the VOM.

Thanks again for all the help, especially WK154.
DL1608

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 12:24:05 AM »
Glad it was only the resistor, could have been the MB at $500.
When in doubt KISS