Author Topic: DL806/1608 Inevitability? Or Business as Normal?  (Read 3075 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
DL806/1608 Inevitability? Or Business as Normal?
« on: March 01, 2015, 04:25:14 PM »
Why now are we seeing a small rash of issues? Happenstance? Bad luck? It's Normal? Obsolescence is inevitable, but in reality how many years can you really expect to get out of this particular platform? I was hoping for about 5 years more or less, but mine bricked in under 30 days. The one I am using now is into 2 years, no issues.

Some of these issues being reported are happening I presume between 1-3 years. Is this normal? Maybe my expectations are too high? But for an originally priced DL at $1200.00 I expected a reasonable amount time before any little or major glitches showed up. Why was the DL32 rushed out the door with a new MF version and no accompanying My Fader? Hmmm, makes one think.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: DL806/1608 Inevitability? Or Business as Normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
KM each unit will have it's own history of use and abuse without that predictions are questionable. Take the schools mixer for example. Did you log the total hrs. of use it's had in the 2 yrs.? It's most likely has had less than a month at 24/7 time. I would expect this mixer to last 10+ yrs. once past what is known in the Semi industry as infant mortality. This has over many years and lot's of research and process improvement been all but eliminated compared to the '60 were it was ~100hrs. Burn in at mfg. is key to the reliability of the units that many Mfg's. short change. There are many other factors for failure besides IC's. If you need detail here is a good overview.
http://people.rit.edu/lffeee/lec_reli.pdf
Pay attention to the failure rate with and without burn-in.
You can weed out poor quality by running your own product at near max temperatures for some time (not at a gig) within the warranty period.
Takes me back to the late '60's  were I attended a training course at DEC on the PDP8S. They had a unique but effective concept of QC. The FE (Field Engineer) was also the factory QC engineer. What a motivation to get it right at the factory before he was on the line at a customers site. We got a cooks tour of the plant and all the units were running in big cardboard boxes with a adjustable window for temperature control. That was their burn in process under the watchful eye of the FE. Nowadays that's automated in a controlled room. A cardboard box and a thermometer can eliminate problem units and give you more peace of mind when out at a gig. Temperature cycling also is needed so a couple of burn-in sessions will satisfy this as well. Sometimes the user has to finish the job for the Mfg. or you take your chances.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:59:21 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »
Thanks WK for the info.  :thu:

Burn-in is very essential these days. I used to work for Tiger Brand now Tiger Direct computer assembly and break-fix facility. We built and repaired custom order computers. I was on break-fix. All systems new and repaired were put on 24 hour burn-in before they left the factory. They had at least 4 burn-in racks. If one failed, back to the bench for it. I was impressed.

I wonder if Mackie at least runs a 24 hour burn-in on all products? Even when I was repairing client’s computers at home, it was image the HDD first and then a short  burn-in to determine intermittent problems (if they were working) when they came in and a short burn-in when it was done to make sure it was working before it went out.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »
Thanks WK for the info.  :thu:

Burn-in is very essential these days. I used to work for Tiger Brand now Tiger Direct computer assembly and break-fix facility. We built and repaired custom order computers. I was on break-fix. All systems new and repaired were put on 24 hour burn-in before they left the factory. They had at least 4 burn-in racks. If one failed, back to the bench for it. I was impressed.

I wonder if Mackie at least runs a 24 hour burn-in on all products? Even when I was repairing client’s computers at home, it was image the HDD first and then a short  burn-in to determine intermittent problems (if they were working) when they came in and a short burn-in when it was done to make sure it was working before it went out.
The burn-in I'm referring to is a temperature controlled room or facility not a power test rack which is what yours sounds like. Nobody would want to work in that environment (way to hot) and the units are usually on a conveyer belt for access. Sort of like a continuous belt Pizza oven. Mackie's Mfg. is cloak and dagger, no pics. Behringer shows pics but no burn-in test facility visible, just power test racks. :)  So buy your units with a summer date code from the sweatshops. ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:45:12 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »
The burn-in test was software, based on the now PassMark BurnInTest. Quite a bit different than the temp control room you mentioned. The software stressed all the components to and past their limits to force weak components to break down.

Would the conveyor type hot room testing, expose powered up circuit boards and surface mount components to the heat to see if they fail? Or just the relevant components? I did a stint at Northern Telecom's big facility in Toronto here way back as an inventory/asset management clerk and did see massive solder machines and what looked like hot rooms where components did roll though on a conveyor. But was not allowed to ask what they were for. Non Disclosure.  :(

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:24:07 PM »
Familiar and used several burn-in programs but it's a minimal test that really doesn't come close to a full heat test. No power supply or connectors etc. stress. Just to clarify some Mfg.s opt to stress test sub-assemblies before final assembly and do only power test for final. Not as good as final unit stress test to account for sub-assembly interaction.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:33:20 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »
Familiar and used several burn-in programs but it's a minimal test that really doesn't come close to a full heat test. No power supply or connectors etc. stress. Just to clarify some Mfg.s opt to stress test sub-assemblies before final assembly and do only power test for final. Not as good as final unit stress test to account for sub-assembly interaction.

Thank you for answering all my questions.  :thu:

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »
One of the very reasons forums like this exist is that the real facts need to be somewhere. With all the marketing BS and Mfg. claims and disinformation a need for the user side needs to be there, but there is no profitability in this. Hence a charity function is necessary. I've been on both sides of the fence so I do have a grasp on what's involved. Yesterday my Wife and I traveled 300 miles to promote YWIH (Young Women In Harmony), it's simply satisfying.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »
One of the very reasons forums like this exist is that the real facts need to be somewhere. With all the marketing BS and Mfg. claims and disinformation a need for the user side needs to be there, but there is no profitability in this. Hence a charity function is necessary. I've been on both sides of the fence so I do have a grasp on what's involved. Yesterday my Wife and I traveled 300 miles to promote YWIH (Young Women In Harmony), it's simply satisfying.

I couldn't agree more! And Volunteers are the unsung heroes. Whether or not they, my self and present company  included are always recognized, volunteers do make a difference. And it is satisfying and good for you too!