Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL1608 destroying my Mac Mini(s)

(1/11) > >>

ILC Saratoga:
Ok, here's the deal, we use the DL1608...duh..we record off of it using a Mac mini and also play back with the slides/video in Keynote.  We're using phantom power to the mic's which means that it's going to Mac Mini(output/headphone to DL 1608). 

It worked great for 3 months then BOOM fried the sound portion of the logic board.

Checked cables which are hardly ever moved, everything good.  No shorts everything else as it should be.

Just had Apple put in a new logic board and tested with a head set, worked fine.  As soon as I plugged in the DL1608 poof, bye bye sound.

Configuration is Headphone jack (out) to XLR input channel 16.  Aux 2 to Mac Mini Input.

I'm completely open to suggestions.  Well most of them that is.

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: ILC Saratoga on March 01, 2015, 10:28:35 PM ---Configuration is Headphone jack (out) to XLR input channel 16.  Aux 2 to Mac Mini Input.
--- End quote ---
Very wrong, you should use the TRS "line input" jack on channel 16 that has no phantom on it - or an isolating DI - for any non-microphone input source. You could have just as easily fried a keyboard, acoustic guitar, submixer, or an amp DI output. Unfortunately this is a common problem amongst non-pro users :( . Expensive education for you but now you know :-\ .

Wynnd:
Headphone out to channel 16 in?   ARE YOU NUTS?   That's an amplifier output.  Never intended to go to any input of any type.  ONLY USE THE HEADPHONE OUTPUT DIRECTLY TO SPEAKERS!!!!!  (Headphones are speakers.)   Now, phantom power shouldn't be on any outputs.  It's only on the XLR inputs 1-16.  It isn't on any 1/4" phone plug inputs.  (Note: the dual inputs have phantom power on the XLR and not on the 1/4" inputs.)   

Quick question?  What microphones are you using that require phantom power?  Are you guessing or do you actually know that you are using "condenser" microphones.  (Most are dynamic and phantom power has no effect on those.)   If you're using a full set of "drum mics", the overhead mics are likely to be condenser microphones. (frequently, but not always.) 

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on March 02, 2015, 01:08:06 AM ---Headphone out to channel 16 in?   ARE YOU NUTS?   That's an amplifier output.  Never intended to go to any input of any type.
--- End quote ---
Incorrect - most of us have used a headphone output into a mixer before. I have a 1/8" stereo plug to twin 1/4" mono plugs cable I often use with the channels 15 and 16 line inputs (TRS). Works a treat :) !

Wynnd:
Just because it worked for you, doesn't make it a good thing to do.  I never run amplifiers into inputs.  NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!!!   If you fry something doing that, you probably deserved it.  I don't drive my car off cliffs either.  They aren't designed to be used that way. 

Misusing equipment and then complaining about it breaking should be illegal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version